Stereo Amplifier to match B&W Dm601 S2

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I recently bought a set of B&W Dm600 S2 series speakers with the intention of selling the centre and 603s and keeping the 601s but now I cant decide which ones I want to keep for my Hifi. But anyway, at the moment I am just using them with my old denon micro stack but I want to buy a new amp for them, but i am willing to wait around for good deal.
I want to go used as thats normally the best bang for buck and my price range is £150-200. I have a very eclectic taste in music so the amp would have to be versatile and I would be more partial to a warmer sound as I do like like laid back music. I also listen to a lot of bass heavy music so good bass is good although I have a REL strata which I'd like to connect so a sub out would be useful. Now I have recently posted an forum about bi-amping to get a good understanding of that before I posted this one, so I'm guessing an integrated amp with the upgrade path of a matching power amplifier to bi-amp my speakers would be good. Looks are important but ultimately sound takes priority. Any suggestions will be appreciated; thanks, Michael.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
As nobody answers your question I'll give you my penny's worth.

How about a second hand Marantz PM7001 or PM7003? Both have a pre out for your subwoofer en sound warmish. I use a PM7003 in my study and am very, very happy with it. Should also go great with your DM's. Or a NAD320/325. NAD's sound quite cosy too with a deeper bass than the Marantz.

If you want new on your budget the choices ar quite limited, although I'm not well informed about the prices for hifi kit in the UK ( I am dutch). A Yamaha S-500 springs to mind but is just over your budget. This model also has a input for your subwoofer. If you buy new always try to audition!

Hope this helps.

Peter

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I hear a lot about NAD amps but I'm never sure which ones are good as theyre often so old its difficult to find out much about them, I'll have a look at the suggested amps. Thanks very much for you replies!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The B&W 600 series are not particularly fussy speakers in terms of partnering equipment, they’re a fairly easy drive and have a sound leaning towards the warm side which can be altered to a degree with other equipment to personal taste.

Arcam, Cyrus and Rotel and typically used, Arcam will further enhance that warm sound, I used to run an Alpha 8 with 602s, it lacked in some areas for me, ultimate details and attack but had a sound I know many like. Cyrus tend (perhaps less so their modern stuff) to be on the brighter side.

You could also consider amps form NAD and Roksan.

I even tired a Mini-T from amptastic with my 602s and it sounded terrific, a little harsh over extended listening but better value than Cyrus!

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've heard quite a few people reccommend the arcam alpha 9s, is that a good amp for the price range? Well if they arent fussy speakers what amps in the £150-£200 price range should i be looking at? I do prefer warmer sound, so I have been looking at a lot of Arcam, NAD and Marantz; but in terms of models I really havent much of an idea. I think going older will likely give the best value for money but the problem is its difficult to know what the good models are with the older amps review sites like this only have the newer ones up; also determining how much that amp is worth when matched against newer amps is also very difficult!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The Alpha 9 is a good amp for the price you can pick a used one up for, the 10 again is a considerable step up but the 9 is a sweet spot in terms of value. The 7 is a bit lacking in oomph, the lack of guts paired with a warm presentation just means it sounds far too laid back, the 8 is far better in that it has that bit more drive. The 9 is worth paying a bit extra for is you can find one. The 10 again is a very good amp.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I've seen the 9 go for around £100 so thats definitely worth a look at, i saw a 9 plus a matching power amp go for around £150 i think it was which was a great price i just hadnt decided if i wanted that amp at the time. I've been looking about, and one think im stuck with it that i think the case really is a sub, OR bi-amp, cos you cant have both. As i mean, most integrated amps only have one pre-out which id like to use for my sub, but if i wanted to bi-amp id have to use it for a power amplifier. Also the pre-amps ive been looking at only have 2 pre-outs, for two power amplifiers?

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ah ok, well I have a REL strata 1 which has a high level input and high level bass cut output. So would i take my speaker cable from my amp, to my sub, high level input, then from my sub to my low frequency speaker?

Lawrie

Aug 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I am considering purchasing the Denon PMA720AE which can be had NEW for £200 and received a 5 star review in last December's Hi-fi Choice.

I am always dubious when buying second hand gear.

Cheers!

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Michaelholder1 said:
Ah ok, well I have a REL strata 1 which has a high level input and high level bass cut output. So would i take my speaker cable from my amp, to my sub, high level input, then from my sub to my low frequency speaker?

I wouln't mess with the direct speaker connection. You can wire the high level input to the back of the speakers or the amp. Makes no difference either way.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh so you mean, get an amp with 2 channels? The only problem with that is would it not be better to use the amp already in the sub? I'm not exactly sure how you're suggesting i wire it up. The connections on my sub are high level in, with 2 high level (L+R x 2) bass cut outputs, and one stereo line level in phono input. So if im biamping my speakers, and therefore have no preouts left, how would i add my sub to the equation?

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
A sub with high level connections connects to the speaker outs. This still uses the amp in the sub. If you are biamping use the bass speaker connections from both channels.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean outputs on the speaker? Didnt realise hifi speaker had outputs? Sorry I've been doing matlab computer programming all day and my brain isnt working; im not following you at all, i need a picture haha.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts