Question Stereo Amplifier advice to match current system

DaveyLounge

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for advice on purchasing a Stereo Amplifier to match my system. Most of the music I listen to is on Vinyl. My budget is limited to £1000 max, preferably around the £500ish mark.

My system comprises of
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition Speakers on Atacama Stands
Chord Rumour X Speaker Cable
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo Turntable
Rega Phono MM Stage Mk3
Marantz 74CD63/15b Special Edition CD Player
Denon DRM-600 Cassette Deck

My current Amp is a Cambridge Azur 540A.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DaveyLounge

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
I originally had been looking at the Marantz PM6007, Cambridge CAX61/81 and the Arcam Sa20. I would like to keep the Rega Phono, and was wary of having an empty phono stage on an amp. I was hoping to connect the CD player & my TV, for stereo only, via digital optical leads. I have a separate A/V Setup with a projector, for movies.

I originally had been looking at the Marantz PM6007, Cambridge CAX61/81 and the Arcam Sa20. I would like to keep the Rega Phono, and was wary of having an empty phono stage on an amp. I was hoping to connect the CD player & my TV, for stereo only, via digital optical leads. I have a separate A/V Setup with a projector, for movies.
Can you clarify, you want an amp without an internal phono stage?

Reactions: DaveyLounge

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Your current CA 540a seems like a good little amplifier. I just wonder how much of an improvement a newer £500 amplifier is? I can't say for certain as I have not used the suggested options.

I'd cautiously say upping your budget to the limit (what else are limits there for) may be a better option and would survive a few upgrades elsewhere in the future if desired?

It would put you in the realms of a s/h Hegel, even a MF M5si (if lucky) and others. - All probably a sizeable step above what you have.

The question is what would you like to improve and what are your preferences?

DaveyLounge

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Your current CA 540a seems like a good little amplifier. I just wonder how much of an improvement a newer £500 amplifier is? I can't say for certain as I have not used the suggested options.

I'd cautiously say upping your budget to the limit (what else are limits there for) may be a better option and would survive a few upgrades elsewhere in the future if desired?

It would put you in the realms of a s/h Hegel, even a MF M5si (if lucky) and others. - All probably a sizeable step above what you have.

The question is what would you like to improve and what are your preferences?

Both the Cambridge Cxa 61 & 81 have caught my eye. My Cd player was linked to my A/V system but has now relocated to my dedicated music system, therefore I would prefer Digital inputs for the CD player & TV

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Sorry, I do not have experience of any of those.

External DAC's are cheap and good now so perhaps do not base your decision solely on that?

A Hegel H90 has a good DAC though. I did own this amplifier and it is very good imho. How it compares to your choices I can't say but you can pick one up s/h under your budget.

CA make good products and a lot of users seem happy.

Last edited:

gasolin

the cambridge 61 costs as much as the cambridge 80, thats why i didn't mention cxa 61/81

The cxa 60 has a very open sound not to much bass and a more bright sound than dark, so make shure nothing else is bright

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts