starting out - advise needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

This is my first post and I had better say upfront that I don’t know much about hifi. I spend most of the time listening to classical cds on portable machines (currently a Bose wave radio/cd.) Thought it was about time I ventured into the world of hifi.

Recently a friend of a friend has been clearing out his stuff and I have acquired the following from him: Arcam alpha 8 cd player, alpha 8 amp and alpha 8 power amp. Unfortunately there are no connecting leads, speakers or speaker cable, so I need help with choosing something that would complement them. (Don’t fancy lugging all three around the shops for testing!)

My budget is around 250 for speakers and 100 for leads & speaker cable. (Overall, I have allocated 400 to spend on it, but am looking to get as much value as I can – don’t mind used equipment, as that’s what I’ve already got. would it be waiting for post xmas sales)

Some people have directed me to the KEF iq5se, so I went to Richer Sounds during my lunch break and they were impressive. But that was with their equipment, which I figure is not a true test. (This is probably heresy to say, but they “look” great too and won’t take up too much room.)

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Might be worth waiting till after Xmas with loads of savings in the sales AND that massive extra 2.5% off the VAT. If you want new, Dali Lektor 1s are fabulous, but you'd need some stands too which might blow your budget.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam stuff is decent kit. You could do worse than trying to pick up some second hand Epos m12.2 or AVI Neutrons, and some second hand interconnects and speakers cable, try van den hul d102III off eBay.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I own an Alpha 9 integrated amp with the Alpha 8 player and a set of B&W P4 floorstanding speakers work a treat with them.The P4's i have seen on Ebay, can be picked up with your budget and money to spare for the cables.I'm not sure how much difference there is between both of these Arcam amps, other more experienced people could tell you if it's possible to connect to your amps.Very very nice speakers the P4's, so worth a look if they will work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts