Starting from Scratch Hifi separates - £1k(ish)

Looking for advice and food for thought on my current ideas HiFi wise.

I currently play my music through a hugely dated stereo and a cheap ION turntable, looking to invest as I want to get most out of Vinyl.

Play mostly Vinyl (Jazz, Soul, Funk and Hiphop)

So, my idea's so far....

- Pro ject Debut Carbon or SE3

- Rotel RA 10 ( W/ Free QED uPlay Plus Bluetooth Adaptor) to cover digital listening

- B&W 685 S2

Looking for thumbs on this kind of set up from people with experience of these products/any advice on alternatives that are worth considering.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated as this is a BIG investment for me and want to make it worth while whilst still working within my budget.

Thanks

Will

William J Barnes said:
Looking for advice and food for thought on my current ideas HiFi wise.

I currently play my music through a hugely dated stereo and a cheap ION turntable, looking to invest as I want to get most out of Vinyl.

Play mostly Vinyl (Jazz, Soul, Funk and Hiphop)

So, my idea's so far....

- Pro ject Debut Carbon or SE3

- Rotel RA 10 ( W/ Free QED uPlay Plus Bluetooth Adaptor) to cover digital listening

- B&W 685 S2

Looking for thumbs on this kind of set up from people with experience of these products/any advice on alternatives that are worth considering.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated as this is a BIG investment for me and want to make it worth while whilst still working within my budget.

Thanks

Will

I guess it's not too bad a selection. Just wondered about your room size though. Will it take floorstanding speakers? This would save you a bit of money on speaker stands. No point in buying something like the 685's if you don't have something to put them on. Then, if your mainly listening to vinyl, use money saved to buy a better cartridge.

There are lots of options even if you want everything brand new.

How much is the RA10 going to cost you?

First of all, thank you for your responce.

RA10 is £349 + free bluetooth ad on

Do you think it would be worth investing in the RA11 with better digital spec? £499

B&W - 500

turntable - 325

I am currently living in a small room, yet to decide how I would be mounting speakers but likely place would be on bookshelf.

My stance on it would be that being such an investment, i would be buying with scope that they would cater well for a bigger room I would be in in the near future, looking to move over the next 12 months.

However, baring this in mind, droping the B&W's would put me back to square one with things as i was looking at Rotels because of their compatibility.

Thank you once again for your reply

Best

Will

William J Barnes said:
First of all, thank you for your responce.

RA10 is £349 + free bluetooth ad on

Do you think it would be worth investing in the RA11 with better digital spec? £499

B&W - 500

turntable - 325

I am currently living in a small room, yet to decide how I would be mounting speakers but likely place would be on bookshelf.

My stance on it would be that being such an investment, i would be buying with scope that they would cater well for a bigger room I would be in in the near future, looking to move over the next 12 months.

However, baring this in mind, droping the B&W's would put me back to square one with things as i was looking at Rotels because of their compatibility.

Thank you once again for your reply

Best

Will

I can understand that. The RA10 can be had a lot cheaper if you don't mind ex-demo stuff. The RA11 is obviously a step up. If you understand bookshelves are not the best place for so-called bookshelf speakers, and you're going to need some wide ones for those 685's. :) Speaker stands can be had when finances permit.

Rather than spend more money on the amp I would always look at improving the source.

If you can spend the time looking around for ex demo or open-box items and you can save a good deal of money. For example the RA10 can currently be had for £260 ex dem.

Thanks once again. I will scower the net for some open box discounts.

Happy to go back to square one if there are any recomendations for some decent budget speakers to model around, at your suggestions.

once again - thanks for the help

Will

DizzyPenguin

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Be sure to demo the speakers. I went out to buy my Rotel with the B&W 685 S2 in mind after reading all the glowing reviews, and I personally wasn't particularly impressed by the speakers while auditioning them at the store. Yes, they sounded good... but something was missing for my taste. Your mileage may vary!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
They do have a fairly 'distinctive' sound, it's a very popular pairing though, so *unknw*

I am very old school in the matter of vinyl replay and given your modest size room and intention to place the speakers on shelves I would go about this quite differently.

I would pair the small Denon 520 or ideally 720 amplifier with a pair of Zensor 1s, which work better on a shelf than many 'better' speakers and buy the best possible record player I could afford.

If you could streatch the budget a little you might find an ex dem Clearaudio Concept MM for about £800, sadly prices for this have risen recently (exchange rate) so getting a bit pricy at the moment. A Rega P6 and a decent (non Rega) cartridge would be an option.

The better player will look after your precious vinyl and get more off them than cheaper models (a big difference) and you can upgrade speakers when you move to a bigger room.

Personally I would do everything possible to get the Concept MM and if possible the PMA720. This amp has a pre-out so replacing the Zensors with a nice pair of actives would really do it for me.

davedotco said:
They do have a fairly 'distinctive' sound, it's a very popular pairing though, so *unknw*

I am very old school in the matter of vinyl replay and given your modest size room and intention to place the speakers on shelves I would go about this quite differently.

I would pair the small Denon 520 or ideally 720 amplifier with a pair of Zensor 1s, which work better on a shelf than many 'better' speakers and buy the best possible record player I could afford.

If you could streatch the budget a little you might find an ex dem Clearaudio Concept MM for about £800, sadly prices for this have risen recently (exchange rate) so getting a bit pricy at the moment. A Rega P6 and a decent (non Rega) cartridge would be an option.

The better player will look after your precious vinyl and get more off them than cheaper models (a big difference) and you can upgrade speakers when you move to a bigger room.

Personally I would do everything possible to get the Concept MM and if possible the PMA720. This amp has a pre-out so replacing the Zensors with a nice pair of actives would really do it for me.

Quite like that suggestion. He'll have trouble getting 685's on shelves anyway. ;-)

rainsoothe

Hi. I have bought an Audio Technica LP5 tt like a month ago and I'm very happy with it (but the stock cartridge needs a change - waiting on an LP Gear modified AT95 to arrive). Imo it's a very, very good tt for the money (I have briefly auditioned Clearaudio Concept and VPI Traveler, and it is really not that far for a fraction of the price). What's even better, is that it's inbuilt phono stage is a) not bad and b)by-passable (which means you can upgrade it later, should you feel the need). Oh, and there was no comparison between the AT and Pro-Ject RPM1 - that sounded bad and with a lot of interference or hum from something.

For what it's worth, I'd get the AT (with cartridge upgrade in mind, maybe you even have yours), and either a more potent amp or speakers for now. As in a) Onkyo C 9010 (or whatever it's called), which is said to sound very, very good for the money, + a pair of Focal Aria 906, if that fits your budget. Or, b) find a good deal on a Naim Nait 5si (ex-dem or used), or Arcam A19 or Marantz PM8005 + some cheaper speakers.

Otherwise, the Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3 is a very potent combo imo, and it's the safest bet.

Try to audition everything, though.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
You just have to look at the signatures on here to see we would all spend our money differently. For me (all priced on Richer Sounds) I would go for:

Marantz PM6005 plus Q Accoustic Concept 20s package for £549

If the £1k budget was an absolute, I'd get a Project Debut Carbon and swap the stylus for a 2M Blue, if the budget could be stretched to £1.1k, I'd get a PROJECT 1 XPRESSION CARBON UKX for £549.

That's what I'd do by you pays your money, you takes your choice.

rainsoothe

TomSawyer said:
You just have to look at the signatures on here to see we would all spend our money differently. For me (all priced on Richer Sounds) I would go for:

Marantz PM6005 plus Q Accoustic Concept 20s package for £549

If the £1k budget was an absolute, I'd get a Project Debut Carbon and swap the stylus for a 2M Blue, if the budget could be stretched to £1.1k, I'd get a PROJECT 1 XPRESSION CARBON UKX for £549.

That's what I'd do by you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Actually, Marantz PM6005 + Q Acoustics Concept 20 is also a very good combo, just as good az PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3. Different presentations - the Dalis will sound more open and incisive (some found this combo a bit bright), and the Q Acoustics will sound more refined (some find it a bit bland). It's a matter of taste, but the Concept 20 are a very good suggestion. Try to audition. About the TT, though, imo the Audio Technica is better then the entry-level Pro-jects (just referencing my experience with the RPM, I haven't heard the debuts, but they look really flimsy to me), and it will bennefit from an Ortofon 2M Blue just nicely.

Thank you, I think this has really got me thinking more critically. I need to map out and consider the space in far more detail.

Looking at something more budget for the time being, AMP, Speaker wise, and something more substancial turntable wise is something i hadnt considered.

Im going to audition some more budget amps and speakers this weekend. Thank you

William J Barnes said:
Thank you, I think this has really got me thinking more critically. I need to map out and consider the space in far more detail.

Looking at something more budget for the time being, AMP, Speaker wise, and something more substancial turntable wise is something i hadnt considered.

Enjoy your audition. Get speakers right first. ;-)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Re turntables. Perhaps you should investigate a nicely refurbished Technics SL1210. A couple of people on here should be able to help with that.

You wont get anything new for the same money that will compare.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
William J Barnes said:

Without getting more specific about different models I think you perhaps should think things through, a step or two ahead even.

Despite a lot of modern 'revisionism' I remain convinced that more money spent on the player improves the quality of the system more than spending the money on speakers though many on here will argue with that.

Given your intention to shelf mount you speakers, much of the benefit of bigger and 'better' speakers can be lost so a good small pair now with plans to upgrade down the line might be sensible.

As far as the player is concerned, time and effort spent in getting this right will pay dividends, the Concept is the best player I have heard under £1k, though a bit pricey for your budget.

A lot depends on how serious or otherwise you are about vinyl replay, if you are reasonably commited, be prepared to take your time and try and get to hear some of the options.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
With vinyl I would spend more on the turntable/cartridge. You are not really going to get a lot for £1k new. Have you considered used? If I was starting again now I would definately go down that route. Re turntable I would consider a used Rega Plannar 3, can be had for about £200, put a decent cartridge on it for £100. Then you have about £700 for amp/speakers.

BigH said:
jjbomber said:
William J Barnes said:
Thanks once again. I will scower the net for some open box discounts.

Creative Audio have the MarantzPM6005 Amplifier and Tannoy DC6T for £619. That's just below half-price. A steal.

Those speakers would not look good on bookshelves!

Correct. Not only would he have to have very deep shelves he would now have to have very tall ones. :)

The idea of second hand turntables is a good one but not if you are not fully aware of their set-up requirements. Best to buy new for newbies I feel.

I think if im honest, the shelves are quite big, height certainly isnt an issue. But considering the feeback ive been getting, the placement of the speakers will have to be reconsidered. I have room to play around with their positioning, i should be able to place speakers and turntable on separate units and still avoid using the book shelves.

Denon 720 is a strong candidate for its Pre out and upgradability - especially as it frees up cash to spend on turntable.

Rotel RA10 as you said can be found for £250 - which really isnt far off the price for the likes of Onkyo & Marantz

Looking at project 1 xpression Carbon UKX for 575 but should be able to get cheaper than that, but tbh still not even close on turnables, 550 would probably be max im willing to spend on it.

Speakers im considering aside from orginal B&Ws are Monitor Audio 2, Dali Zenzor 1 and Q Acoustic 3020 as more budget options, ready to upgrade once in more suitable abode.

Thank you all for you comments once again. I really appreicate all of this!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would look for some ex demo turntables if you are not keen on used, there are a few about, Rega have just replaced the RP3. You should get about 20% off a new one, maybe more. Have look at your local Sevenoaks if you have one, Richer Sounds is good for end of line stock or heavy discounted, Tannoys are often half price. I would get some small speakers for now until you have a larger room. If putting on shelves I would consider some isolation, can buy from pro music shops, studios use under their small monitors, its about £25 for 2 speakers. these would probably do: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stands-SPADECO2-Absorber-Monitors-Anthracite/dp/B007YFWUDO

Turntable isolation is important, so don't have the TT on the same unit as the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS