Star rating and kit comparison

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In TVs you often compare kit at differerent prices and compare their benefits and whether the more expensive is worth more money.

Is there any reason why you don't do this with audio kit?

I, and am guessing like others, don't have a fixed budget but want good performance for a reasonalbe price. When I read an excellent review for lower priced kit you wonder how it compares with more expensive -and please not just on spec and features as they are easy to research what we want in arrogant opinions!

For example, AV receivers. Recently top reviews for Onkyo 605, Sony 1200ES around £3-400 mark -how do these compare with your top players at £7-800? The same for DVD players and HC speakers.

I am tempted (as written elsewhere) with Onkyo 605, Radius 225 (x5) and poss Toshiba HD DVD -bit more money and can I improve it?

Also for HC speaker systems I think a lot of people mix and match with subs. You rave about the MT-30 due to the sub, I (again guess others in same boat) am upgrading my speakers but keeping my sub (Pro 50) so how do the different speakers compare?

Sorry for the rant -over 5 years buying your mag every month so you can't be doing much wrong but I have had these question in my mind for while!!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Like wise if a product scored say 4 stars with a rrp of say £1000 but you could get it for £500 would it be better than a product with 5 stars with a £500 rrp?

A

Anonymous

Price bears no relation to quality,some prices are absurd,made in China,whack it in a different box,or just rename it,and put it on the market for some huge mark up.Then you have the other end,where you get some guy will make it himself,no huge overheads,it wont cost much and it will sound sublime,it's just happened to me with a Class D amplifier that has knock me off me feet.

At the end of the day,as much as you read reviews,you have to listen to a product,touch it,feel it's quality,and see if it's price matches its asking price,sometimes something is more expensive because it has more features.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="silly"]Price bears no relation to quality,some prices are absurd[/quote]

In general, the Higher you go (price wise), the better build qaulity you will get. I thought my old Sonus Faber was one of the most beatifully build pair of speakers ever....until I bought my current Neat MF5.....seem like they will out last me!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Like wise I used to think my old Pioneer DV757Ai was well built until I got my Denon DVD3930, this thing is built like a tank

A

Anonymous

[quote user="silly"]Price bears no relation to quality,some prices are absurd,[/quote]

Doesnt always but it should. Your sweeping statement is just as silly imo.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]Like wise if a product scored say 4 stars with a rrp of say £1000 but you could get it for £500 would it be better than a product with 5 stars with a £500 rrp?[/quote]
Good point, my common sense said "5 stars gold"! but then you just make thing more complicated D.J.

A

Anonymous

I think I'm right in saying that the star rating system is in part based on value for money, so like it or not, price DOES come into it.

I think the OP has a good point.

Jolly good - carry on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts