Stanton stylus option

JPGR1967

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
I have a stanton str8 80 and need to know if I MUST use a conical stylus? If not what are my options? I know it's a DJ table but is it still good for listening? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
JPGR

daytona600

Quick google shows a Straight tonearm for Scratch DJ and Conical Stylus
Elliptical styli or higher could be a problem as Tonearm has no offset angle on the headhell IGD
( inner groove distortion ) or Try a high quality Conical Nude cartridge J44 Jico
Technics ideal for DJ/Hifi use

4hhhh _blob_2_m (1).jpg

Thanks, I'll start shopping. Can I get a jico stylus and put it in the m97xe? It is conical correct?
So, you’re referring now to the Shure M97xe? Not the Stanton in your first post.

AFAIK Shure didn’t make a conical stylus for this, unless they once made a larger profile 78rpm stylus, which is irrelevant here. So, you need an elliptical or another fine line stylus for a 97 to match the original. You know the original is out of production, so as you say Jico is a big supplier of compatible replacements.

The stylus profile - conical, elliptical, fine line etc - is independent of the stylus assembly. The latter is what must be compatible with your cartridge. Many cartridges have a variety of stylus profiles. The current Audio Technica AT VM95 series being a good example with a myriad of options.

So, you’re referring now to the Shure M97xe? Not the Stanton in your first post.

AFAIK Shure didn’t make a conical stylus for this, unless they once made a larger profile 78rpm stylus, which is irrelevant here. So, you need an elliptical or another fine line stylus for a 97 to match the original. You know the original is out of production, so as you say Jico is a big supplier of compatible replacements.

The stylus profile - conical, elliptical, fine line etc - is independent of the stylus assembly. The latter is what must be compatible with your cartridge. Many cartridges have a variety of stylus profiles. The current Audio Technica AT VM95 series being a good example with a myriad of options.
The Stanton 8-80 he refers to is a turntable not a cartridge.... At least that's what I understand.
Your reply regarding the Shure is a good one though and you are correct, the 'E' is the giveaway, it came fitted with an elliptical stylus not a conical one.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
The Stanton 8-80 he refers to is a turntable not a cartridge.... At least that's what I understand.
Your reply regarding the Shure is a good one though and you are correct, the 'E' is the giveaway, it came fitted with an elliptical stylus not a conical one.
Ah, got it. A Stanton DJ deck! I think it was the heading title that led me astray!

Yes, no requirement for a conical stylus unless one is DJ-ing by ‘scratching’.

daytona600

Straight tonearm ONLY use a Conical Stylus
Scratch DJ the needle is more stable in the groove when the platter is being spun back and forth as that artform requires. The trade off is excessive groove wear and distortion.
Because of the excessive tracking error of 17 degrees, you must never use elliptical styli in a Scratch DJ straight arm. The fine edges of the elliptical profile depend on near perfect tangental alignment. With an error of 17 degrees, these fine edges become sharp cutting tools and will shave the surface of the vinyl groove. Stick with conical or spherical shaped styli when using a straight Scratch DJ tonearm.

(80) Ortofon DJ Tutorial 8: Can we use Concordes on straight arms - YouTube

Reactions: WayneKerr
Straight tonearm ONLY use a Conical Stylus
I agree, and apologise as I was guilty of assuming it was a proper turntable used for DJ-ing, like a Technics, say. Now I’ve looked, and seen the straight arm, I agree that a conical will be more predictable.

Not sure how @JPGR1967 came to have an ‘audiophile’ Shure M97xe in it then. Mind you, Yamaha have a straight arm on their top line turntable, but it gives me collywobbles thinking about it.

JPGR1967

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site

So, can I get a conical stylus for the m97xe that is not made for 78rpm discs? Does Jico make one? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I agree, and apologise as I was guilty of assuming it was a proper turntable used for DJ-ing, like a Technics, say. Now I’ve looked, and seen the straight arm, I agree that a conical will be more predictable.

Not sure how @JPGR1967 came to have an ‘audiophile’ Shure M97xe in it then. Mind you, Yamaha have a straight arm on their top line turntable, but it gives me collywobbles thinking about it.

What' wrong with straight tonearms?

JPGR1967

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
Regret I’ve no idea, but I rather doubt it. It seems a bit like asking for tractor tyres on a Ferrari. Surely you need a different cartridge? Are you using the Shure currently?
I currently have a straight headshell with an AT-VM34C cartridge on it. Was hoping to find a conical stylus so I could use the M97XE cartridge?

Other posters on this and other forums say anything other than a conical stylus on a straight arm tonearm will damage both the stylus and the record Sue to tracking issues because of the straight tonearm???
that's rubbish. Your headshell is straight but it is slotted so you can adjust the position of any cartridge in it.
If you can set up and align any cartridge correctly it is not going to damage LPs.
If you really care concerned then sell on that Shure cartridge and buy something that you can fit a conical stylus to.

daytona600

Last edited:

HardyM

Mar 8, 2023
Visit site
Going to throw my inexperience into the ring here.
I just purchased a Stanton STR8-50, which also being a DJ table I guess has similar specs as your -80.
The tonearm on these are really short - hence why it has so much alignment error and why it wants conical (or maybe spherical) stylus. My (incomplete) solution is to extend the tonearm by 45mm. I am considering a bend headshell (but before that tried bending some stainless tube to suit ). Now using an original stanton headshell with the screws misaligned as suggested above. All this sounded great in theory until I tested it and realised that the Stanton also doesn't have an anti-skating adjustment. With the longer tonearm, this is now essential. Not sure why it's not needed with the original short tonearm, but I'm learnig fast.
I bought this because of the weight. Perfect for my bouncy timber floor that always upset my old turntable (which I'm starting to think my just have problems because I didn't have the anti-skating adjusted and also just discovered that it has a 78rpm stylus on it).
I'm wondering if I can make an auto-adapting anti-skating setup (now that I have little left to lose).
Wish me luck...

Reactions: WayneKerr
Going to throw my inexperience into the ring here.
I just purchased a Stanton STR8-50, which also being a DJ table I guess has similar specs as your -80.
The tonearm on these are really short - hence why it has so much alignment error and why it wants conical (or maybe spherical) stylus. My (incomplete) solution is to extend the tonearm by 45mm. I am considering a bend headshell (but before that tried bending some stainless tube to suit ). Now using an original stanton headshell with the screws misaligned as suggested above. All this sounded great in theory until I tested it and realised that the Stanton also doesn't have an anti-skating adjustment. With the longer tonearm, this is now essential. Not sure why it's not needed with the original short tonearm, but I'm learnig fast.
I bought this because of the weight. Perfect for my bouncy timber floor that always upset my old turntable (which I'm starting to think my just have problems because I didn't have the anti-skating adjusted and also just discovered that it has a 78rpm stylus on it).
I'm wondering if I can make an auto-adapting anti-skating setup (now that I have little left to lose).
Wish me luck...
Unless you know what you’re doing - and if you do then you’re hiding your skills carefully - then I fear this is going to end in tears!

Far better to buy a deck designed for your need than a quite unsuitable one which you then set about to modify. Or am I missing something here?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts