Stands, slabs and sorbothane - coupling and decoupling on carpeted wooden floors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Matt - I dont have an 'approach' - just a zany experimentalmind. :) I would love to hear anothers similar approach. I drilled chipboard to tightly fit 3 large headed nails. 2inch clout nails. Blutak peas on top of the heads (hopefully) takes the board out of the equation. Then 2 slabs held with blutak. The sub had rubber feet into which I screwed spikes. I do think the second slab was effective. I do look out for snake oil and placeabo but I am convinced now that it had a significant effect. The sub at its prior setting was always a tad ott but after slabbing it was seriously too powerful and needed turning down. I dont have young golden ears so find it difficult to describe the effect but short of bass boom I recon an increase in apparent bass has to be an imrovement.

A definite extension and solidity would be my best attempt at description. :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks JamesM - ordered some brass spikes. Not sure who will cut and shape the slabs for me? Sadly it seems they are keepers but partner snubbed toe on slabs so really need them cut. (slabs not toes)

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rob ,

Cutting and shaping them to match the profile of your sub will be the hard part , no idea what the cut faces would look like .

The only person I can think of that would stand a chance would be a high end kichten installer used to cutting marble / granite worktops , they have to " sink " sinks and hobs into them .

Thinking it would be cheaper / easier to off set the slab so it dosn't show apart from at the visable cnrs , if you know what I mean

James

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Sorry Matt - I dont have an 'approach' - just a zany experimentalmind. :) I would love to hear anothers similar approach. I drilled chipboard to tightly fit 3 large headed nails. 2inch clout nails. Blutak peas on top of the heads (hopefully) takes the board out of the equation. Then 2 slabs held with blutak. The sub had rubber feet into which I screwed spikes. I do think the second slab was effective. I do look out for snake oil and placeabo but I am convinced now that it had a significant effect. The sub at its prior setting was always a tad ott but after slabbing it was seriously too powerful and needed turning down. I dont have young golden ears so find it difficult to describe the effect but short of bass boom I recon an increase in apparent bass has to be an imrovement.

A definite extension and solidity would be my best attempt at description. :)

Gotcha. That's pretty radical decoupling, and I can imagine that on a suspended wood floor it might work perfectly.

I'm still waiting for the spikes for my subs to be delivered, but in the meantime I might try something similar to your chipboard trick. In my case things are a bit more complicated, as my speakers (Martin Logans) consist of an electrostatic panel fixed to a sub. There's an argument for decoupling the sub from the wood floor; on the other hand, there's an argument for keeping the panel coupled tight to the floor. But I will join you in the spirit of (nice and cheap) experimentation.

Matt

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Matt & Dave. I'll check some kitchen guys or otherwise see if I can find slightly smaller slabs.

The Logans ??? Look interesting but as you say, the experimental results may be unique to yoir units. Hopefully u will be reporting 'night and day' !! :)

I would experiment with other speakers (fronts/centre) but I recon the aethetics would be unacceptable.

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Cute spikes delivered. Not goin' the slab-cuttin' route but will buy a couple 300x300 which will sit nicely under the sub and prevent further toe damage. Less mass but hopefully ok

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts