Standmounters max.1000 pounds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Grottyash:What David says seems fair enough to me. Only one comment, and that is the Nait5i I use has no trouble driving my speakers which are a difficult load. Rated power output isn't sometimes the best measure of an amps ability to drive speakers. I've heard my Minimas with a valve amp running at 18W (I think) on paper, and the amp wasn't struggling to control them.

You may think a 50w amplifier with 84db/w/m sensitivity speakers sounds okay but headroom will be hugely compromised.

Remember that for every additional 3dB amplifier power needs to double, and to double the volume ten times more amplifier power is required. Therefore you would need about 500w to get decent levels with unclipped peaks if you continue with these speakers.

It's far safer to use a decent amplifier like the HK990 suggested above.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that if you compare a £200 loudspeaker to a £1,000 loudspeaker, both of a similar size, and same driver dimensions, the performance and capabilities of the two can be quite different.

What sort of volume are you after? Average? High? Do you like a loopy of bass, or are you more interested in high detail levels?

A

Anonymous

Taylor74:
You may think a 50w amplifier with 84db/w/m sensitivity speakers sounds okay but headroom will be hugely compromised.

Remember that for every additional 3dB amplifier power needs to double, and to double the volume ten times more amplifier power is required. Therefore you would need about 500w to get decent levels with unclipped peaks if you continue with these speakers.It's far safer to use a decent amplifier like the HK990 suggested above.I don't think, I know it isn't compromised! Also, Sonus Faber themselves seem happy with the amp so I don't know where you're getting your info from.

Perhaps you've been reading too much Wikipedia

A

Anonymous

JohnnyLion:
For me right now it is very important to filter some speakers.

What speaker won't fit in a 4*5 m room and what speakers would be too smal to fill the room?

I know Monitor audio rs8 is too big, but I had some dali lektor 1 from my dad and they were way too small.

So I need a speaker not as big in the bottom end as the rs8, but not as small as the lektor 1's.

that's why I thought I should look at 6,5 inch drived standmounts.

But maybe I am thinking the wrong way?

my room is the same size as yours and my dynaudio dm 2/7s fill it easily, and they are plenty bassy enough for me, and my last speakers were MA rx6s, the dm 2/7s are a clear step up in quality all round imo, especially where highs are concerned, and seperation..

they can be put close to the wall too, though i dont believe dynaudio x12/x16s can be put quite as close, and dyn 110s apparently need about 50cm clearance.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:The problem is that if you compare a £200 loudspeaker to a £1,000 loudspeaker, both of a similar size, and same driver dimensions, the performance and capabilities of the two can be quite different.

What sort of volume are you after? Average? High? Do you like a loopy of bass, or are you more interested in high detail levels?

well detail is great, but not the most important, i want to play at all levels, sometimes background music, but in the weekends i want high volume.

Because of my room size, bass need to be well controlled and not too boomy, but I like deep bass.

I did hear some speakers in the past when I bought the rs8, but none of these speaker did met my criteria.

these were all floorstanders because my room was 4*6,5 mtr. Now my room is 4*5 and when I leave a 50cm gap between speakers-wall I sit at 2 mtrs from my speakers.

So that's why Iam looking at standmounters.

B&W 684 was ok, but I want better detail on low volume, Monitor Audio rs8 has nice dynamics but I did not like the harshness of the tweeter, I was fatigued when listening 30 minutes or more. Focal 816v was a very nice speaker, but I think the same problem as the Monitor audio rs8. Dali lektor 6 was too boxy, there was a lot of cabinet resonance, but treble was sweet.

If I translate this to standmounters, i want the warm balance of the B&W 684, the dynamics of the Monitor audio rs8 and the sweet treble of the dali lektor 6 and a deep, punchy but controlled bass.

ow and I want to spend no more then 1,000 pounds for the speakers (I could higher my budget if I need a more expensive amplifier + cd t 3,000 pounds total)

I hope you can follow me
emotion-4.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you like deep bass, I think you'd be better off with floorstanders - if chosen correctly, I don't think they'd throw up any issues in a room that size - it's not really that small. A half a metre gap should be enough for most speakers to breathe.

You'll find that a few speakers that sound detailed and lively at lower volumes tend to be a little too much at higher volumes.

If you like the MA sound, it'll be worth checking out the GS10 - as already mentioned, they're reduced at the moment as they're an outgoing model. It's anice, detailed, punchy standmount, which, at the prices they will be available for, wou,d allow a little more to be spent on the amplifier. This will help keep dynamic headroom at higher volumes.

You seem to know exactly what you want from a speaker, so I'd suggest getting out there and trying some - even with numerous recommendations, it's only you who can decide what will suit your needs and tastes.

A

Anonymous

For me, the likes of the system I've got (NAD pre/power and B&W CM5's) does VERY well but the CM5's would also do very well with the likes of the Cyrus 6XP amp and possibly the Audiolab 8200 CD player!

What about the 2nd hand market? Are you wanting all new or would you look at quality 2nd hand seperates?

A

Anonymous

I am going to demo some standmounters tomorrow.

Monitor audio gs10, B&W CM5 and the Dali Ikon 2 MK2.

they stock naim, rotel, arcam, nad, music hall, primare and denon

what amps should I demo these speakers with?

A

Anonymous

JohnnyLion:
I am going to demo some standmounters tomorrow.

Monitor audio gs10, B&W CM5 and the Dali Ikon 2 MK2.

they stock naim, rotel, arcam, nad, music hall, primare and denon

what amps should I demo these speakers with?

Rotel, Nad, Primare and Arcam (for me) definitly.

I'm not a huge fan of the Naim sound but demo what you can; everyones different!

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash: Remember that for every additional 3dB amplifier power needs to double, and to double the volume ten times more amplifier power is required. Therefore you would need about 500w to get decent levels with unclipped peaks if you continue with these speakers.

It's far safer to use a decent amplifier like the HK990 suggested above.

And, to add to this comment, output also backs off 3dB for every metre you sit away from the speaker. Rated SPL's are measured at 1 metre. Nobody in the real world sits that close to a loudspeaker.

A

Anonymous

Richard Allen:And, to add to this comment, output also backs off 3dB for every metre you sit away from the speaker. Rated SPL's are measured at 1 metre. Nobody in the real world sits that close to a loudspeaker.

I just measured... 84cm
emotion-1.gif

Last time I checked, I was in the real world... Some people use loudspeakers with computers, in shared houses where loud volumes aren't required (or practical).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts