Standmount v Floorstander

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello What are the pros & cons between Standmount speakers and Floorstanders at quiet to medium listening levels? cheers

A

Anonymous

There's the academic answer to this and then there's the reality. The former can be considered here. The latter is about trying speakers with amps in your room.

T

the record spot

Having owned both, there is probably slightly better detail with standmount, the floorstander enjoys greater scale, however both are influenced heavily by the partnering amp/source equipment, also and as importantly, positioning.

At medium listening levels however, the floorstander tends towards greater dynamics, if well done. Big boomy boxes do nothing at all and can ruin the listening experience.

Both have their pros and cons, but my preference is for floorstanders currently; that said, the best standounts I've had were Mission 751s, the smaller speaker in the 751-752-753 range and all of them were terrific speakers. Google Henry Azima, the designer.

SteveR750

I would suggest that at low to med low listening levels a floorstander would be the better bet. A standmount might just be too light, remember that the frequency response of the ear changes with volume, which was after all the original reason for the "loudness" button on amps of the 70s and 80s.

At higher volumes, a floorstander might overpower in some rooms, then again if you like me think you can teach Angus Young a few tricks then this is not an issue.

A

Anonymous

I suspect Steve is spot on but be careful, there's nought worse than a budget floorstander. Perhaps a budget floorstander not being controlled well...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
but then something like a dyn focus 110 upsets things by being tiny and having the sort of bass that goes deeper then some floorstanders.

Craig M.:but then something like a dyn focus 110 upsets things by being tiny and having the sort of bass that goes deeper then some floorstanders.

That's very true, and like Dyns, PMC DBs do need an amp with a very clean current and/or a gutsy presentation to really hear them sing. Floorstanders, on the other hand, generally have a higher sensitivity rating, and one of the reasons why they sound better at idling levels.

T

the record spot

igglebert:I suspect Steve is spot on but be careful, there's nought worse than a budget floorstander. Perhaps a budget floorstander not being controlled well...

Oh I don't know...true for the worst cheapo cheapo tall boxes granted, but Mission's 733i, Mordaunt-Short's 914i, KEF's Q35.2, TDL's RTL2, and of course the current and rather impressive Q Acoustics 2050 and earlier 1050i blew the notions that floorstanders under £500 were best avoided right out the water.

In fact, Noel Keywood at Hi Fi World has often recommended the 1050i speakers as working well with the Leema Pulse amp and rates the current 2050 as way above what you'd normally expect for the price (£380 or £449 depending on the finish).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:There's the academic answer to this and then there's the reality. The former can be considered here.

That's hardly an 'academic answer', but rather a whole slew of misinformed opinion...

A

Anonymous

I expect you're right Andrew. My point was rather that there are theoretical reasons and arguments about the differences between standmounters and floorstanders, but experience may show different results.

As highlighted, the Dynaudio range of standmounters can produce a lot of bass and yet there's some floorstanders out there that don't. It's going to come back to the OP's amp, source, room and preferences as to how the differences rank for him.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
The reason I ask is that I live at my parents cottage and I can listen to my music as loud as I like because the only thing I disturb is the cows in the field. However I am moving out into a new build flat and obviously I can not disturb the neighbours. I straight away thought of buying a standmount because when the bass and midband turn into a "mush" I will want to play my music quieter where it sounds better. I read somewhere that a floorstander sound more satisfying at low volume levels but I am worried the volume will creep up and up until the police come lol

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

igglebert:There's the academic answer to this and then there's the reality. The former can be considered here.

That's hardly an 'academic answer', but rather a whole slew of misinformed opinion...

The same could be said for what is written on these forums at times...

SteveR750

Andrew Everard:

There wasn't much science in it for sure....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts