Standmount or Floorstanding Speakers, Which To Choose?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, as some of you may know i have just recently changed from a Arcam A65 to a Roksan Kandy LIII. After having the Roksan for a few weeks i have noticed that my spekers seem abit bright and can give me a headache after a long listening session. I also feel that maybe my Wharfedales are holding the Roksan back and i am considering if it would be best to change them.

Nownmy dilemma is, if i do decide to change my speakers, would standmount or floorstanders be more suited to the Roksan?

Standmounts i am considering are Acoustic Energy Compact 1, Dai Zensor 1, Monitor Audio BX2, AVI Neutron V, Usher S-520 and B&W 685.

Floorstanders i am considering are Mission MX4, Tannoy V4, Dali Zensor 5, Monitor Audio BX5.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to which speakers may be more suited to the Roksan. I listen to mostly Hip Hop, R&B, Rock and Metal. I know standmounts may not have the best bass and i could always add a subwoofer in the future if needed, i really just want something that will make my Roksan sing and show all of it's glory.

Thanks and any help, recommendations of speakers would be great.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about any of the specific speakers you have listed or any suggestions of my own within the kind of price bracket you have. Just a general suggestion.

You have narrowed it down to a few contenders.

Arrange some demo's with the aim of eliminating a few and getting some definite possibilities.

Keep in mind your goal, the problem you want to solve and what you want your music to sound like. With the list you currently have and the suggestions you will get you need to be ruthless in eliminations if they are obviously not going to meet your requirements.

Then with the few remaining get some home demo's.

Floor standers and stand mounts sound very different.

If you have a larger room floor standers, if you have a smaller room stand mounts

Not exactly true as some prefer one over the other regardless, but a home demo is really a must.

Gareth82 said:
Hi everyone, as some of you may know i have just recently changed from a Arcam A65 to a Roksan Kandy LIII. After having the Roksan for a few weeks i have noticed that my spekers seem abit bright and can give me a headache after a long listening session. I also feel that maybe my Wharfedales are holding the Roksan back and i am considering if it would be best to change them.

Nownmy dilemma is, if i do decide to change my speakers, would standmount or floorstanders be more suited to the Roksan?

Standmounts i am considering are Acoustic Energy Compact 1, Dai Zensor 1, Monitor Audio BX2, AVI Neutron V, Usher S-520 and B&W 685.

Floorstanders i am considering are Mission MX4, Tannoy V4, Dali Zensor 5, Monitor Audio BX5.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to which speakers may be more suited to the Roksan. I listen to mostly Hip Hop, R&B, Rock and Metal. I know standmounts may not have the best bass and i could always add a subwoofer in the future if needed, i really just want something that will make my Roksan sing and show all of it's glory.

Thanks and any help, recommendations of speakers would be great.

Gareth, given you have Huge Wharfedales I'd stick with floorstanders. Not only will they give you the depth you're used to but they'll save on a sub, too.

Look at Kef IQ70 http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/KEF-IQ70-LGT-OAK/Kef+Iq70+Lgt+Oak.html or, better still, track down a s/hand pair of PMC GB1s (not i version). I've heard them with my old A65 and it was a revelation, however you'll need to up your budget (probably) to around 600-700 squid. Very well worth it and will bring the best from the Kandy.

Also look at Quad 22L, Q Acoustics... as well as the brands you've mentioned.

The Usher S-520 are fabulous speakers but the main caveat is they come in migraine-inducing colours. The gloss black, on the other hand, looks pretty tasty. But, can't see any standmounter giving you the punch compared to a good floorstander.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for that pp, i'll check out the speakers you suggested. i really do like the pmc Db1's but not sure if i can strecth to that much, i think like you said it may be best to stick to floorstanders, when i add up the cost of stands and a sub it would be quiet abit, plus they may be best with my style of music.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for that pp, i'll check out the speakers you suggested. i really do like the pmc Db1's but not sure if i can strecth to that much, i think like you said it may be best to stick to floorstanders, when i add up the cost of stands and a sub it would be quiet abit, plus they may be best with my style of music.

Yup, the PMCs are a bit more expensive. However, the quality of both DBs and GBs are such that you wouldn't want to change for a long, long time. So you may have to save the pennies for a while.

The ones you've mentioned are good but they are budget end, will sound fine, but the Kandy deserves better quality.

Depending on your room acoustics (and size) I'd suggest Monitor Audio RS6. If you have a reflective room the metal domed tweeter the MAs employ may just provoke fatigue.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that pp, i am tempted to save the pennies for the pmc's. I see that you mentioned kef, do you think the new q series of speakers may be a good match? And how about b&w, some people seem to love or hate them. i do like the MA RS6, i was also looking at the BX5 as well.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for that pp, i am tempted to save the pennies for the pmc's. I see that you mentioned kef, do you think the new q series of speakers may be a good match? And how about b&w, some people seem to love or hate them. i do like the MA RS6, i was also looking at the BX5 as well.

Strange about B&W. As you say some love'em while others hate it, but personally I've only heard B&W standmounters with Rotel. And you say the Wharfedales are bright-ish, so I'm basing my choices on my knowledge of owning Wharfedale brand.

The Kef IQ5 and 7 were very good with Roksan but I've not heard the 50 or 70. If they are at Richer Sounds a dem will be essential.

Back to the PMCs: They will give you the quality without the brightness. They are sparkly but never cross the line, avoid the cloying that some can induce. If you do buy PMCs I shall be very envious...
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Having just upgraded to some Tannoy V4`s from stand mount Kef Coda 7`s, I would recommend the former any day. beautiful, round sound, just the right amount of bass to make what ever you are listening to sound rich. :)

vulgartrendkill said:
Having just upgraded to some Tannoy V4`s from stand mount Kef Coda 7`s, I would recommend the former any day. beautiful, round sound, just the right amount of bass to make what ever you are listening to sound rich. :)

Yes but the Coda range wasn't Kefs finest moment. In fact they would probably struggle to beat my 30 year old Wharfedales.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the Tannoy V4'S do appeal to me, but weather they will bring out the best in the Roksan i guess only a demo can do.

The Wharfedales i currently have are that bright that they give me a very bad headache after a little while, i asked the Mrs if it was just me and said that they also gave her a headache.

I do really like the PMC GB1'S but also for some reason really like the look of the Usher S-520.

Either way i am either going to have to change my speakers or cut my losses and change my amp. If i change the amp i doubt i would get a budget amp for the £270 i paid for the Kandy and it be as good as it is. I need to decide soon as at has got to the point that i can't listen to any music as the headaches i keep getting are very annoying.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have just been browsing the web a have came across this http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/loudspeakers/usher-sw-520-loudspeakers/

Looks lie a pritty good combo, has anyone heard both of these in action?

Thanks

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the Tannoy V4'S do appeal to me, but weather they will bring out the best in the Roksan i guess only a demo can do.

The Wharfedales i currently have are that bright that they give me a very bad headache after a little while, i asked the Mrs if it was just me and said that they also gave her a headache.

I do really like the PMC GB1'S but also for some reason really like the look of the Usher S-520.

Either way i am either going to have to change my speakers or cut my losses and change my amp. If i change the amp i doubt i would get a budget amp for the £270 i paid for the Kandy and it be as good as it is. I need to decide soon as at has got to the point that i can't listen to any music as the headaches i keep getting are very annoying.

My findings when I had the LIII on home dem - connected to my 73T and RS6s - was that most music sounded absolutely fine. However, when I played some reggae or grunge cranked up it was a little in my face. I naturally put this down to room size.

Obviously, I won't pressure you but if you want me to drop the RS6 over to you you can have a quick shoofty and see if the tonal qualities improve the headaches...LOL

BTW, I had this same problem when I tried Naim Nait 5i - even at medium levels I had to reach for painkillers.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The thing is the Mrs actually likes the Wharfedales, as big and ugly as they are. They just don't seem to have as much bass with the Kandy and are far too bright. I may have to get some budget speakers for now so i can atleast listen to music and save my pennies for something better. I do like the RS6'S but they seem very hard to get hold of, i can get the Kef IQ70 for around £500 and i am a fan of the tweeter in the centre of bass cone design, i had some Tannoy 633 Profile Plus speakers in the past which used the same design and they was the best speakers i have had.

It''s abit hard to do demos as i don't drive at the moment and the nearest Richer Sounds is a two hour trip on public transport and i don't fancey lugging the Kandy all that way. I have either got to try some home demos or take my chance and buy blind (not the best way i know).

Gareth82 said:
The thing is the Mrs actually likes the Wharfedales, as big and ugly as they are. They just don't seem to have as much bass with the Kandy and are far too bright. I may have to get some budget speakers for now so i can atleast listen to music and save my pennies for something better. I do like the RS6'S but they seem very hard to get hold of, i can get the Kef IQ70 for around £500 and i am a fan of the tweeter in the centre of bass cone design, i had some Tannoy 633 Profile Plus speakers in the past which used the same design and they was the best speakers i have had.

It''s abit hard to do demos as i don't drive at the moment and the nearest Richer Sounds is a two hour trip on public transport and i don't fancey lugging the Kandy all that way. I have either got to try some home demos or take my chance and buy blind (not the best way i know).

Don't have as much bass with the Kandy, compared to what? When I home dem'd the LIII the bass was superb - in fact, too much.

If you're goin' for a compromise speaker I think you'll sell yourself short: It's unlikely the Ushers, Tannoys or any other budget speaker will outgun the Wharfedales by any significant margin. Probably the main difference will be very subtle.

These RS6 are my second pair: Sold the first because I couldn't bear to part with them and the Arcam. After about 2 months of listening to Wharfedales through the Leema I couldn't justify spending shed-loads to Mrs. P, so I bought a s/hand pair of RS6. Although wonderful I just wish, with hindsight, I'd waited an extra couple of months. At the mo, cant stand the thought of replacing them.

C'est la vie.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
They had more bass with the Arcam A65 for some reason. I think the Roksan may just be showing up the Wharfedales. I do like my speakers to have a nice bit of bass but i am also after something that can show the detail and really make the Roksan shine.

What sort of price range for speaers do you think i should be looking at? Like you said, i don't wanna sell the Roksan short.

Gareth82 said:
They had more bass with the Arcam A65 for some reason. I think the Roksan may just be showing up the Wharfedales. I do like my speakers to have a nice bit of bass but i am also after something that can show the detail and really make the Roksan shine.

What sort of price range for speaers do you think i should be looking at? Like you said, i don't wanna sell the Roksan short.

New prices 600-1000 pounds. So the likes of Monitor Audio RS or RX6 spring to mind. Also, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Kefs, Epos M22 (if you can get hold of them), Tannoy Signature (800 pound ones), Dali Ikon 6, Focal 714V.

My favs beyond RS6 are Focals - almost bought a pair brfore the MAs. Likewise the Epos will calm any top-end nasties and the Tannoys should be good, although the review does say they lack outright bass punch compared to a standard floorstander.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-716v-Speakers-High-Gloss-Special-Edition-RRP-999-BNIB-/260883960505?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3cbde552b9

The only thing I can think of as regards the bass (or lack of bass with the Kandy) is the Arcam is a fantastic little amp but the bass is its achilles heel: It's not as well defined and can sound slightly lumpy.

Sometime less really is more... find the right speaker and you should be laughing.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that PP, i'll take a look at the speakers you suggested.

I really like the loo of them Focals, i was looking at the 706V standmounts the other day but much prefer the look of them 716's. I am quiet a fan of the MS Mezzo's as well. Guess it's time for me to save up the pennies. Guess i will have to put my streamer upgrade to one side untill i get the speakers sorted.

I do really like the Kandy, but as you said before, the A65 is a really good amp and glad it's still being used in my second system, although them Kef Codas aren't the best but they will do for now.

As always, you knowledge has been of great help to me PP, so thanks again.

One last thing before i go, i have seen this http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/digital/roksan-kandy-kc-1-cd-player/ do you think it would be a better match synergy wise than my CD72?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply FennerMachine, i'll check the Spendors out. Out of the three you recommended, which ones would you say are the best?

Thanks

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for that PP, i'll take a look at the speakers you suggested.

I really like the loo of them Focals, i was looking at the 706V standmounts the other day but much prefer the look of them 716's. I am quiet a fan of the MS Mezzo's as well. Guess it's time for me to save up the pennies. Guess i will have to put my streamer upgrade to one side untill i get the speakers sorted.

I do really like the Kandy, but as you said before, the A65 is a really good amp and glad it's still being used in my second system, although them Kef Codas aren't the best but they will do for now.

As always, you knowledge has been of great help to me PP, so thanks again.

One last thing before i go, i have seen this http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/digital/roksan-kandy-kc-1-cd-player/ do you think it would be a better match synergy wise than my CD72?

No. Definitely not. It's a great CDP but brighter than the Arcam - this is a speaker Vs amp issue. Get that sorted then look at changing the source.

Also I looked at the Spendors, and even on Ebay they are beyond the amounts you're looking at.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes i just Googled the Spendors and they are abit too expensive TBH. I did find a pair of PMC Gb1's for £900 on Gumtree, shame i have just had to shell out for Christmas and have got another baby due any day now.

Thanks for the info on the Kandy CDP, although it would match better i think i'll stick with the CD72 for now. Time to do abit of saving and browsing the web for bargins i think, one good thing is that the January sales are just around the corner so you never know what you may find.

Thanks for the help PP and have a nice Christmas.

Gareth82 said:
Yes i just Googled the Spendors and they are abit too expensive TBH. I did find a pair of PMC Gb1's for £900 on Gumtree, shame i have just had to shell out for Christmas and have got another baby due any day now.

Thanks for the info on the Kandy CDP, although it would match better i think i'll stick with the CD72 for now. Time to do abit of saving and browsing the web for bargins i think, one good thing is that the January sales are just around the corner so you never know what you may find.

Thanks for the help PP and have a nice Christmas.

No probs. Have a good one yourselves, Gareth.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the SA1's and they are perfect for my room. Bought them blind after demoing several speakers. They suit my small room perfectly.

I have demoed the A6 at two different stores with different electronics.

If I had a larger room I would definitely get a pair of A6 speakers.

Compared them to ProAc Response D18 & PMC GB1i.

PMC where too similar to my old speakers, too bright.

ProAc just didn't seem right. There was something missing.

In short: larger room A6, smaller room SA1.

All of these speaker can cost a lot, even second hand.

I might sound like a stuck record but just to remind you please demo a few speakers first.

Just finished typing and saw PP's response! Haven’t checked prices recently but hopefully you can use the info from my experience.

There will be speakers available that will do the right job for the right price, just be patient!

FennerMachine said:
I have the SA1's and they are perfect for my room. Bought them blind after demoing several speakers. They suit my small room perfectly.

I have demoed the A6 at two different stores with different electronics.

If I had a larger room I would definitely get a pair of A6 speakers.

Compared them to ProAc Response D18 & PMC GB1i.

PMC where too similar to my old speakers, too bright.

ProAc just didn't seem right. There was something missing.

In short: larger room A6, smaller room SA1.

All of these speaker can cost a lot, even second hand.

I might sound like a stuck record but just to remind you please demo a few speakers first.

Just finished typing and saw PP's response! Haven’t checked prices recently but hopefully you can use the info from my experience.

There will be speakers available that will do the right job for the right price, just be patient!

TBH, the SA-1s are fantastic little speakers, lashed with detail but I found them to be very bass lite. Gareth's Wharfedales give a big bang for your buck and I don't think any standmounter, unless you're looking at 2k Dyns, will give him the bottom end punch.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
PP you are correct, that is something I miss, the low end welley/punch.

Everything else is great but the low end is definitely missing.

Not a problem for me as my room is upstairs so bass is magnified by the floor/size of room, and too much bass I have to turn it down anyway (still live with parents!). But the SA1's could be drowned by a large room and would need a sub woofer for someone used to floor standers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts