Standmount advice for Creek Destiny 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm running Linn Majik 109s with the Destiny2.
Source is an Audiophilleo 2 USB-Spdiff converter feeding an EE Minimax dac.
The room is quite small (10 by 10 foot) and I listen mainly to classical music.
I can't say there's anything wrong with the sound, other than not enough base - but that is solved by switching on a Rel R205 sub.
Still, I was wondering whether there was a substantial upgrade possible by replacing the Linns and getting standmounts that cost, say, £2000 to £3000 new ...?

What I'm really interested in is finding out which speaker has the best synergy with the Creek.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions.

It seems you are saying the Destiny 2 is not fussy about speakers. I suppose that is a good thing.

What I was hoping for is find a speaker that really works well with it. The Destiny 1 was used in the Stereophile review of the Linns and the reviewer said they went together well.

I will look at the Harbeth P3ESR, they might be a step up from the Linns.

As for the Spendor, will the really be significantly better than the Linns?

As for the Epos Elan, there seems to be nothing on them on the internet, so that would be a matter of trying.

Is there a speaker in the £2000-3000 range that really brings the absolute best out of the Destiny 2?

A

Anonymous

The Creek is really not fussy and it has enough power to drive most speakers with ease, only thing I'd steer clear of would be speakers that sound too laid back.

The Spendors would just be different from the Linns, probably little less bass but a better midrange and imaging.

The Harbeths do a lot of things right, they are breathtaking mini's, as with all things though audition first.

A

Anonymous

Most speakers will work well with the Creek, its one of the few transister amps that doesn't exhibit any harshness or glare and its both very neutral and natural sounding. As you can see I use several pairs of speakers with mine and each speaker alters the character of sound accordingly. Given we have the same taste in music I'd suggest you audition either the Spendor SA 1 or Harbeth 3ESR. Surprisingly the best sounding combo I own is with the older Epos ES-12, they're very smooth and have greater scale than the smaller standmounts, about the closest to concert going.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about Creek, I never listened to it, but for standmounters in that rice range, the Sonus Faber Liuto Monitor is very good with classical stuff.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you try Neat's Momentum 3i? Very good bass extension. Could suit Creek Destiny 2 perfectly. They don't have mids like Spendors but they do have bone cracking bass. You would not need the sub anymore.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
with a Creek amplIfiar you have to listen to Epos, no doubt, Creek and Epos are from the same stable. do not know if will be a StepUp from Linn, but you have to hear the combo!

Chears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts