Question Stand mount or floor standing speakers for 4m x 3.5m room

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m moving house soon and will have a bigger listening room. I currently have an awkward room that is 3 x 3.5m but with annoyingly placed door and window so not ideal.
Moving into a new house that has a larger room - 4m x 3.5. Only an extra metre but much better layout.
So, question is - continue with my KEF Q350 and put on stands (currently on cupboards) or invest in some floor standers for about £1200
Amp Audiolab 6000A, sources CXN V2 streamer and CXC CD player

Tricky. Are you happy with speakers as they are?
If so just get some decent speaker stands and position they well in the new room.
You might be surprised.
I have had both in a similar sized room and currently use my floorstanders but still have my standmounts (see signature).
Cheaper to buy some decent stands and sell them on if they don't do it for you than sell on your current speakers.
Hopefully this makes sense..
Your current speakers should have no trouble filling the extra space.

D

Deleted member 160668

Move house first. Then try current speakers, but on dedicated stands, if I've understood right they are not on them currently.

Would floorstanders fit in that size room. Yes, definitely. But to even consider spending £1200 before you've moved in is ludicrous.

Come back once moved and tell us how awesome they sound on stands, or which speakers you are thinking about to replace them with.

Buying speakers blind, i.e. without knowing how they interact in the room is a recipe for disaster. Unless you get them for a great price and can easily move them on.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Will give it a go on stands first as can borrow some. At the moment the bass is a bit flabby due to positioning close to corner and on cupboards. Hopefully more breathing space will allow for better balance across frequencies.

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Move house first. Then try current speakers, but on dedicated stands, if I've understood right they are not on them currently.

Would floorstanders fit in that size room. Yes, definitely. But to even consider spending £1200 before you've moved in is ludicrous.

Come back once moved and tell us how awesome they sound on stands, or which speakers you are thinking about to replace them with.

Buying speakers blind, i.e. without knowing how they interact in the room is a recipe for disaster. Unless you get them for a great price and can easily move them on.

haha. Yes, definitely moving first. Just like to think ahead to know where to budget the money.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks. Will give it a go on stands first as can borrow some. At the moment the bass is a bit flabby due to positioning close to corner and on cupboards. Hopefully more breathing space will allow for better balance across frequencies.
Stands will make a huge difference to the sound. Also play with filling the stands with sand/rice etc. There are plenty of threads on here you can read about which will elaborate.

Hope the move goes well 👍

Reactions: Markmaguire

jjbomber

After you move in you can audition the current speakers on stands against a pair of floorstanders in your new home. That is the only way you will know. The Kef Q350 will sound much better on stands, but that may lull you into a false sense of security. That new improved sound may or may not be as good as new floorstanders. Only one way to find out.

rainsoothe

Have nothing to add, really, just that in my 4x4 room standmounts had no problem filling the space - and if I were in your shoes, I'd just get better standmounts instead (if a speaker switch was in order). Positioning and isolation make a world of difference, good luck!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Some good advice here. I had a similar experience when I moved my standmounts to a larger room. In the smaller 3.2 x 3.5m room they filled the room nicely but in the larger 4 x 5m room they were completely lost.
In a 4 x 3.5m room I suspect either type of speaker might work well but the OP will have to experiment and of course the room itself will be a factor in terms of dimensions, furniture and speakers/seating position.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I think it depends on whether you know now exactly where you are going to place all your furniture and exactly where the speakers will be placed so you know how much space you have to play with in terms of distance from corners and walls etc. Plenty of slim line floor standers for smaller rooms out there. If you know that can def start to short list. Nothing wrong with planning ahead

Also if you like your speakers and mainly concerned about the low end could always add a sub to the system instead. I moved from stand mounts to floors standers back to stand mounts and sub. Can always turn sub off for later night listening if volumes are an issue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts