Squeezebox Touch & NAS Drive Help Please!!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

The war is not over...

I transferred my FLAC files to the NAS server overnight and had a few minutes this morning to play. I was greeted with a message on the Touch to upgrade the firmware...then another...then another. Seems like I have the issue highlighted in this thread the the versions of software on the SqueezeServer and MySqueezebox.com (I assume that's the TinSC software running on the touch).

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/What-is-with-the-endless-firmware-updates/td-p/550194

I think there may be a way to configure the SBS on the NAS to not instruct the Touch to update itself, but I need to check the config screen. And I cant update the SBS version on the NAS since its embedded in the 1.54-Mod1 update.

How frustrating...may be I will revert to playing with a debian box afterall!!! I wonder how powerful the PC has to be to work adequately?

tinitus said:
I don't own a NAS as my iMac has enough disc space for my needs. For info to those put off by the potential complexity of streaming, I bought a Sqeezebox touch yesterday having read the review in another HiFi mag. 5 mins. to install and connect to my pre amp, then log onto my network and create an account. It immediately downloaded a firmware update automatically, meanwhile server software installed onto iMac from mysqeezebox.com and free iPhone app downloaded from iTunes. 10 mins after opening the box, was listening to my favourite Classic rock station, the Eagle 96.9 from Sacremento and then checked out a few ripped Cds in both Lossless and standard. The only chore now will be re-ripping more Cds in Lossless. Initial impressions are that this is a superb product, available for less than £200, that sounds much, much better than streaming same radio station via iTunes/ apple TV/ AX5Ai's DACs. Excellent app similar to airplay remote. Until Hi Def streaming is available from the iCloud and more products adopt to the new tech, this will keep me very happy.

Thanks for those words. It is so good to have an air of contented calm in the midst of the chaos!

A

Anonymous

Not sure that a £200 streamer would be a match for your Krells :grin: but having played with it for a few days, it has an excellent interface and ease of use that matches Apple. Found some more excellent Classic Rock stations and saved them to favourites. Streaming Lossless A/B against my Meridian 506/24 just sounds different not significantly worse as expected. Perhaps I will try feeding a new DAC from both some day, or perhaps the 506 is just long in the tooth. I am usually sceptical of certain magazine reviews, but HiFi choice tested it against various streamers including Cyrus @£1500 and Marrantz for half that and the Squeezebox won, mostly for outstanding value. As a radio it sounds significantly better than any DAB that I've heard. Perhaps not surprising as that is saddled with the usual NuLabor-sanctioned, quantity not quality, MPEG 2 crap.

A

Anonymous

Have got the squeezebox server working on my Windows 7 quad core tower PC, but think I will setup my 2 year old Dell laptop with the FLAC files + server. It'll be quieter and draw less power, and as I hardly use it, it'll put it to some use.

Was going to setup the server on an older PC using Debian Linux, might still try that and as its a dual boot machine with XP, can give both OS versions a go. Downside is that its a midi tower unit and will need to sit in the kitchen somewhere (besides the fridge behind the rubbish bin most likely)..hardly discrete nor quiet.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Have got the squeezebox server working on my Windows 7 quad core tower PC, but think I will setup my 2 year old Dell laptop with the FLAC files + server. It'll be quieter and draw less power, and as I hardly use it, it'll put it to some use.

Was going to setup the server on an older PC using Debian Linux, might still try that and as its a dual boot machine with XP, can give both OS versions a go. Downside is that its a midi tower unit and will need to sit in the kitchen somewhere (besides the fridge behind the rubbish bin most likely)..hardly discrete nor quiet.

Like I said, Sonos works with the vast majority of NAS boxes without this kind of hassle. That, for me, is why it's worth the extra money, even without the superior multi-room performance.

A

Anonymous

Thats a fair point. However I already have plenty of kit lying around so for me its less about the cost, and more about the hassle. SONOS would have been more money and less hassle for me as it turns out.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for keeping us updated with how you have been going with the SB Touch. When i asked on the SB forum loads of people recommended to run the SB Server from a PC/Laptop and with the problems that you encounterd i think that it would be best to just run it from a old Laptop/Netbook with external Hard Drive.

I should hopefully be getting my SB Touch in the new year once Crimbo is out of the way (and the wifes new baby arrives), i have been thinking though that if i will need a laptop/pc to run the SB server that maybe i might be better running a laptop with a decent DAC or maybe getting a Mac Mini and using a DAC as i don't need multi room and am not really saving much space if i need a Laptop running as well as the SB Touch. I have abit of time to decide so i guess it's back to the drawing board and weighing up the pros and cons of the SB Touch and a Mac Mini and DAC.

nads

and yet here is me with SBS on a ready nas running SBS IN THE SAME ROOM AS ME with no issues, well I actually have two in here with me!''if you will run it on a pc get a good all day running silent cpu cooler an the same for the power supply. I have just had to do that as the PCs are in the same room at the moment and are (were) TOO loud.

A

Anonymous

I'm using the Squeezebox Boom with a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with a BT Home Hub (Black Version 2.0). I also use the Android Squeezebox app on my Samsung Galaxy S2 to control the Squeezebox. I've also used the Squeezebox with Squeezebox Server on my desktop and laptop, no real difference in speed or performance. The NAS is great, huge capacity, RAID copy and you don't need the PC on when playing music off the Squeezebox.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts