Squeezebox & Spotify

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I received an email today from Spotify informing me that in the near future support for Squeezebox devices will be withdrawn, and I wont be able to listen to Spotify Premium on my Squeezebox Touch. I'm a bit gutted to be honest. Along with internet radio, Spotify Premium through my SBT is my primary source of music these days, and so it looks like I'll be looking around for a replacement soon. It's such a shame as the Touch covers all my needs ie. Compact, easy to navigate, good screen, excellent 3rd party apps to use my phone or tablet to operate, and most importantly great sounding.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
There are multiple ways to cast to a Squeezebox from other devices e.g. from an iPhone via Airplay (I think the ShairTunes plugin lets you do this). So I'm sure there will be ways to keep your Squeezebox playing Spotify albeit with slightly more hassle. Alternatively switch to something like Deezer if it suits.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Great pity that logitech no longer supports the SBT or the app. Still superior to flakey BluIOS, IMHO. A replacement is proving difficult and am hoping that Auralic can resolve issues with MQA output - not their fault, allegedly!

The app is 16 bit, which will not work with IOS 11 - an old 4s will come in handy as a remote. Not sure if Logitec server will survive MacOS High Sierra either - the end for my SBT is nigh.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I thought Raspberry Pi was the natural successor to the Squeezebox. (With DAC and screen and streaming software.)

There are people around with expertise in this (Daveh75?) who could provide links.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
In their email, Spotify were pushing something that I've never heard of..

"To keep your music playing on your Squeezebox speaker we recommend the Gramofon wireless music streamer, giving you the ability to play to your speakers using Spotify on your phone, tablet or laptop.

Our friends at Fon are offering 25% discount on their music streamer. To take advantage of this offer simply click the button below and use the discount code* Spotify25[/b] at checkout. "

They did acknowledge that other devices are available and a link to several of them.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Not sure but don't think this will work. I've got 2 gramofons and they have a streamer and dac built in that I use to feed powered speakers. It's a cheap and simple/effective way of streaming but not for the squeezebox (I think). I remember using squeeboxes before the Linn and for the money, they were fantastic (a duet followed by a touch). I suppose technology moves on but sound for pound, I'm not sure that it's moved on that much (if at all)!

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
The official Spotify plugin will stop working. This is because it depends - as do a number of other 3rd party devices that currently work with Spotify - on the 'libspotify' API, which Spotify is no longer going to support.

All is not lost however. There is a relatively new plugin called Spotty which works really well and is being actively developed. This uses an open source library called librespot. See the slimdevices forum for more details.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BobWH said:
See this thread at slimdevices.

thumbs_up.png

I'll take a proper look when I get a minute.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts