Squeezebox Classic improve sound qaulity

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just got a Squeezebox Classic. I am streaming flacs to it and am
not surprised to find it doesn't sounds as good as my Arcam Alpha + cd
Player. The Alpha is more open and has a bit more bite.

The rest of the System is Arcam Delta 60 amp and Tannoy DC2000 speakers.

What do you think is the cheapest DAC that would bring the sound up to the ARCAM

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Are you using the same type cable to connect the squeezebox to the amp as the cd player to the amp. I made this mistake with my sonos, once I had swapped out the cheap supplied cable for the one I used with my cd player things improved and now are nearly on par with my cd player when using lossless files.

As far as the dac is concerned I would have thought the beresford or the dacmagic would be better quality than your cd player when using lossless files.

John Duncan

Hm, I'm surprised the Squeezebox doesn't kick the Arcam's butt, since it wasn't that good in the first place if I remember.......

Ditto the advice about cables, otherwise you're not comparing eggs 'n' eggs (or something). After that, as m1rfy says, you're looking at Beresford or DACMagic, though suddenly they're a pretty dear solution.......

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure how the Alpha+ compares to modern cd players but at the time it was highly rated

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
How are you connecting the SB? I tried analogue phono (SB DAC) and digi coax and went back to the phono route. The SB3 is a great bit of kit and I'm sure you'll get used to it.

A

Anonymous

I must admit I like the functionality of the Squeezebox I am using the analogue output what dac have you tried.

I am not using the same interconnects on the Squeezebox as the CD player (they won't reach) but before going to the expense of a new dac I will try new interconnects any suggestions

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Swapped interconnects cd player still sounds better still more open and bite perhaps some of these old cd payers are better than people think. looks like it's a dac. How does mf v-dac compare to the other two mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Took the plunge got a dacmagic jurys still out at the moment more bit and detail i can see wht people like them but at the moment i'm finding it a bit in your face

A

Anonymous

wireless wired not practical. Sound is improving swapped sb to cd input which has a higher input voltage sensitivity

nads

I run mine wired from the PC to the router and then wired to a powered spliter and then wired to the SB and then to the Dac magic and i have been happy with the sound but as i have only had it since saturday i have not done any comparisons yet.

But i would not say it is too different to the CDP through the dac.

will have a few listens. CDP/CDP and DAC/SB and DAC.

nads

Well CDP verses SB and DAC no difference. Same cables from the CDP and DAC to amp.

SB analouge outs verses the SB to DAC again same cables.

Dac wins. Using WAV files from the PC.

A

Anonymous

I would say the SB + dac has the edge on most tracks and is a lot better than the SB analogue out. The difference between the CDP and SB + dac is not enormous. It could be that the rest of my system is not good enough to show the difference but just the same it goes to show what a good CD player the Alpha + was/is and if you have a system you are happy with what a risky thing it can be to change a part of it. My next problem is that I am having problems with the delta 60 loosing a channel and will need a not too expensive warm sounding amp to replace it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts