Spring has sprung, where art thee Cambridge Audio 751BD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Way back in January, Cambridge Audio unveiled the 751BD player with a view to a Springtime launch.
Well it's Spring already, where is it? :)

I see their website is showing this as a product with a number of pages, specifications, etc... but it doesn't seem available for purchase yet.
Anyone know whether this is likely to ship in April, May ... later?

I also read a comment that Richer Sounds wouldn't be stocking the 751BD. If so, then who is going to have this?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

A

Anonymous

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your interest.

We're still on for a Spring launch. The 751BD will be available through in the UK through Richer Sounds in the next couple of months (May/June). I'd suggest contacting them directly to express your interest as they will be happy to keep you updated on when they will be taking stock of this player.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Ben,

I am *seriously* impressed at this response, thank you!
Nice to see you/Cambridge Audio on the forum and replying to potential customers.

Better start saving then :)

Thanks again.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Noticed there's now zoomable pictures of the internal gubbins of the 751 on the CA website. Is the transport an upgrade over the 650, anyone know? I can't tell from the pictures or spec.

ps. following Andrew's advice, I got excellent rapid response to queries through the CA tech support - thanks!!

A

Anonymous

BenBeaumont said:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your interest.

We're still on for a Spring launch. The 751BD will be available through in the UK through Richer Sounds in the next couple of months (May/June). I'd suggest contacting them directly to express your interest as they will be happy to keep you updated on when they will be taking stock of this player.

Thanks

Hi Ben,

Is this player based on the Oppo 93eu? I know it has different dacs but is the disc transport the same.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your interest. We had many similar queries about the 650BD and similarities to the Oppo models last year.

As with our previous models the forthcoming Cambridge Audio 751BD is based on a Mediatek chipset.

In this case its the very latest MTK8530 solution which supports dual HDMI, 3D TV output and other new features.

Cambridge Audio of course have had a long relationship with Mediatek having based all of our previous 650BD BluRay, DVD89, DVD99, DV30, 540D V1 and V2 DVD players on various different Mediatek platforms.

As you would expect we are not the only brand to be using Mediatek development kits and application software, Oppo continue to use them, as are various new big league adoptors.

Generally brands like us prefer to use platforms that are also used by other customers as it means that when/if issues with discs and playback formats are found everyone is feeding back into a common knowledge pool (Mediatek in this case) and all brands benefit in terms of the reliability and robustness of the chipset and core software.

In terms of what Mediatek offer each customer they give us all schematics, software and PCB layouts for example versions of their solution.

The processor code includes an OSD generator and tools for defining setup menus and the like.

In fact Mediatek supply application code that gives an excellent framework for this.

This does mean that any machine based on the chipset is very likely to have a similar look and feel to the On-Screen Display.

For the hardware, each manufacturer then edits or regenerates these to greater or lesser extent to add their own flavour of sockets, DACs, power supplies etc. as they see fit.

Our model is thus our own and in this case we designed from the ground up a new audio stage with both a dedicated stereo analogue output, and 7.1 analogue multi channel output

In addition, all analogue audio outputs (both Stereo and 7.1) are processed for jitter suppression and up-sampling to 24-bit/192kHz by Anagram Technologies Q5 up-sampling running in our 32bit SHARC DSP.

We use various components (particular brands and types of capacitors for instance) and circuits developed and chosen by us from many hours of measurement and listening tests.

This design and its attendant technology is completely proprietary to Cambridge Audio is derived from developments first used in the multiple award winning Azur 840C CD player and DacMagic.

We also offer a choice of digital filters – linear phase/minimum phase/steep filter, as featured in the DacMagic.

Various other tweaks have also been done and the transport is indeed a new very high quality item, its one of various ones MTK support/recommend and being freely available on the market others may well choose to use it.

We don’t actually have an inside track on what the other Mediatek licensees may choose to use.

In short Cambridge Audio and Oppo or others actually have no relation. We are merely connected by our relationship with the chipset supplier, Mediatek and the fact that the core of our designs stem from there.

It’s a bit like saying all PCs are the same because they use Intel processors and run windows, that is the root but clearly the products deviate greatly from that starting point.

We seek to maximise the performance of our units for the type of customer we cater for, and in particular we are passionate about the musical ability of our products so a lot of ‘special sauce’ goes into that.

Thanks

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Put me down for one, please !! It sounds great.

I'm hoping you don't change the main menu screen from the 650 - that way I can slip a 751 into the house to replace the 650, and the wife won't realise :)

A

Anonymous

Ha ha - dont worry, we like the current main menu screen (blue CA screen), so have kept it as is. So you should get away with your covert op so long as she doesn't pay too much attention to model numbers on the front...

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

This seems like a great player...

Got one question to ask that may sound silly... can it be used as a media streamer to stream movies from a NAS?

I don't think it can but need to make sure.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

BenBeaumont said:
Thank you all for your interest. We had many similar queries about the 650BD and similarities to the Oppo models last year.

As with our previous models the forthcoming Cambridge Audio 751BD is based on a Mediatek chipset.

In this case its the very latest MTK8530 solution which supports dual HDMI, 3D TV output and other new features.

Cambridge Audio of course have had a long relationship with Mediatek having based all of our previous 650BD BluRay, DVD89, DVD99, DV30, 540D V1 and V2 DVD players on various different Mediatek platforms.

As you would expect we are not the only brand to be using Mediatek development kits and application software, Oppo continue to use them, as are various new big league adoptors.

Generally brands like us prefer to use platforms that are also used by other customers as it means that when/if issues with discs and playback formats are found everyone is feeding back into a common knowledge pool (Mediatek in this case) and all brands benefit in terms of the reliability and robustness of the chipset and core software.

In terms of what Mediatek offer each customer they give us all schematics, software and PCB layouts for example versions of their solution.

The processor code includes an OSD generator and tools for defining setup menus and the like.

In fact Mediatek supply application code that gives an excellent framework for this.

This does mean that any machine based on the chipset is very likely to have a similar look and feel to the On-Screen Display.

For the hardware, each manufacturer then edits or regenerates these to greater or lesser extent to add their own flavour of sockets, DACs, power supplies etc. as they see fit.

Our model is thus our own and in this case we designed from the ground up a new audio stage with both a dedicated stereo analogue output, and 7.1 analogue multi channel output

In addition, all analogue audio outputs (both Stereo and 7.1) are processed for jitter suppression and up-sampling to 24-bit/192kHz by Anagram Technologies Q5 up-sampling running in our 32bit SHARC DSP.

We use various components (particular brands and types of capacitors for instance) and circuits developed and chosen by us from many hours of measurement and listening tests.

This design and its attendant technology is completely proprietary to Cambridge Audio is derived from developments first used in the multiple award winning Azur 840C CD player and DacMagic.

We also offer a choice of digital filters – linear phase/minimum phase/steep filter, as featured in the DacMagic.

Various other tweaks have also been done and the transport is indeed a new very high quality item, its one of various ones MTK support/recommend and being freely available on the market others may well choose to use it.

We don’t actually have an inside track on what the other Mediatek licensees may choose to use.

In short Cambridge Audio and Oppo or others actually have no relation. We are merely connected by our relationship with the chipset supplier, Mediatek and the fact that the core of our designs stem from there.

It’s a bit like saying all PCs are the same because they use Intel processors and run windows, that is the root but clearly the products deviate greatly from that starting point.

We seek to maximise the performance of our units for the type of customer we cater for, and in particular we are passionate about the musical ability of our products so a lot of ‘special sauce’ goes into that.

Thanks

Sounds great but its a pity that you dont use Wolfson WM8742 or WM8741 as the 8740 is really old.

But as the sales pitch goes, 'If it aint broke....'

A

Anonymous

Not a pity at all - after extensive listening tests, we actually prefer the sound of the 8740 to the newer versions. We decided that it was possible to raise the performance of the trusted Wolfson WM8740 DAC - which we use in the DacMagic, 650C and 740C - to greater levels and so this legendary 24bit/192kHz-capable DAC proudly features once again.

Please feel free to audition the player when it hits the stores and hear for yourself.

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
3 interesting musically optimised Bluray players due soon or in the case of the Arcam out already, in competition shortly. All around £850 - £1000 mark.

The Cambridge Audio 751 BD

Oppo 95

Arcam BDP 100 (holes in spec). No SACD, DVD A or 3D. No twin outputs HDMI.

Ben - why a switch mode power supply on the Cambridge. Aren't they meant to be noisier/cause interference than toroidal types. I notice Oppo use a toroidal on theirs. Not saying that you haven't implemented a good design.

Pity that the Oppo and Cambridge aren't further video optimised as well for another £250 or so, then we would really be talking about a state of the art all rounder.

Regards

Rod

A

Anonymous

BenBeaumont said:
Not a pity at all - after extensive listening tests, we actually prefer the sound of the 8740 to the newer versions. We decided that it was possible to raise the performance of the trusted Wolfson WM8740 DAC - which we use in the DacMagic, 650C and 740C - to greater levels and so this legendary 24bit/192kHz-capable DAC proudly features once again.

Please feel free to audition the player when it hits the stores and hear for yourself.

Yes I would agree with you if CA have raised its performance like you say (I didnt know that)

However, if you are to comete with the oppo 95 which uses...SABRE 32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE 32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world's best performing 32-bit audio DAC

Its a no brainer really.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Martin Gman said:
Yes I would agree with you if CA have raised its performance like you say (I didnt know that)

However, if you are to comete with the oppo 95 which uses...SABRE 32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE 32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world's best performing 32-bit audio DAC

Its a no brainer really.

Was the 'It's a no brainer really' part of the cut and paste from the Oppo blurb too?
smiley-wink.gif

I mean, the company's hardly going to say the technology it's using is rubbish, is it?

A

Anonymous

hifianorak said:
why a switch mode power supply on the Cambridge. Aren't they meant to be noisier/cause interference than toroidal types. I notice Oppo use a toroidal on theirs. Not saying that you haven't implemented a good design.

Switching power supplies are very efficent and with active pfc's have are capable of supplying stable power regardless of the quality of the supplied power. The high efficiency of over 90% means little is lost in heat so you could call them "green" which works quite well from a merketing point of view. Switching powersupplies are also capable of providing stable power with varying load requirements with variation in voltagel below 0.05%. That is very desirable with the current generation of sensitive electronics.

They do have more RF leakage though but if it's shielded that should cause few problems even if it can cause some ripple in the phase group it's on which can cause interference on other equipment in the same group unless filters are applied.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
And note Andrew he has got the Oppo on order already ;) - I have the Arcam DV139 which has the Wolfson 8740's in. It sounds great to my ears. In fact the Wolfson DAC is the one reason I may choose the CA over the Oppo.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
@ Rod: They are video optimised. They both have the QDEO processing chip implemented. I've read early reviews of the Oppo 93 which state that this is the most impressive artifact reducing solution for upscaled SD discs since the ABT2010 chipset from a few years back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts