Spotify!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:After reading these posts - and I do often - I really think I'm missing a trick here....
emotion-42.gif

If I don't misunderstand you, my plastic bellied member of the aquatic, flightless birdy family, yes, you are missing out.

Incidently, through my laptop (24/96 soundchip/card ... I think, according to the blurb) and connected via cable, Spotify sounds warmer through the midrange, with fuller bass, than through my cdp though looses a little detail/soundstage so you might really start to like the Leema ...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:brittondave:incidently........I wonder what you have as a spotify user name... Not telling you, you might be able to see the sh-t I've been listening to :)

fair enough .............we all have guilty pleasures

which could be an entirely different thread

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Ive been a relative late comer to digital music, but its certainly the way to go. Just upgraded to Spotify Premium (free months trial), and the sound quality is really good.

My original plan was to purchase the Cyrus amp and then CD8SE player later, I am now considering just upgrading my 8xpd to the 8xpdQX and keeping my Mac mini as the source.

One thing I would really love though is a Spotify remote control, basically the same idea as the iPod Remote control. I dont always want to be selecting music with a keyboard and mouse on my TV.

Anyone know if Spotify are planning a remote control app for iPhone?

A

Anonymous

Yes! Downloaded free from the app. store last night - but haven't worked out how to use it yet!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JamesOK:Anyone know if Spotify are planning a remote control app for iPhone?

Search for remoteless in the app store. Only really works on Windows though, couldn't get the Mac beta to do anything.

Thanks John, will give it a go. Although I need the Mac one really. Does say the Mac one is in Beta though, so fingers crossed a proper version will come out.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
After reading these posts - and I do often - I really think I'm missing a trick here....
emotion-42.gif

Yes & no PP. Spotify 'lite' sounds abysmal through my laptop via mini-jack-to-phono lead into my amp, so that I could never for a second consider listening to it as a method of listening to music.

... However... It's a great tool for checking out artists before I part with my cold, hard, cash.

If and it's a big if, they have the artist |I wish to listen to on their books.

John Duncan

It does - can't remember whether I had beta 1 or 2, but I couldn't get my iPhone to find the Mac at all, so fell at the first hurdle.

In the meantime, I use a VNC client on my iPhone to view the Mac's desktop, and work with it like that. Kludgy but effective.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I use a VNC client on my iPhone to view the Mac's desktop, and work with it like that. Kludgy but effective.

VNC is now available on iPhone!? As in RealVNC?

Fantastic, I'll have a look for that too. I believe you have to pay for it nowadays, I have an old free version, but worth it I think.

idc

Spotify has been the single biggest influence on my music listening. Without it, no Scandinavian Prog Rock, American Post Rock, a large amount of modern Prog Rock and modern Jazz. Radio, even John Peel has not had the same influence in finding new music to listen to and love. I also see far more bands now as Spotify allows you access to lesser know bands who can be seen for £10 to £15 at smaller venues.

Thanks to Spotify I have seen Scandinavian Prog with Efterklang, Slarafenland, Modern Prog with Oceansize and Tunng, American Post rock with Grails and next up ASIWYFA.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Spotify has been the single biggest influence on my music listening. Without it, no Scandinavian Prog Rock, American Post Rock, a large amount of modern Prog Rock and modern Jazz. Radio, even John Peel has not had the same influence in finding new music to listen to and love. I also see far more bands now as Spotify allows you access to lesser know bands who can be seen for £10 to £15 at smaller venues.

Thanks to Spotify I have seen Scandinavian Prog with Efterklang, Slarafenland, Modern Prog with Oceansize and Tunng, American Post rock with Grails and next up ASIWYFA.

Perhaps a trip to the 'Purple Turtle' in Camden on Saturday 11th December to see the mighty Designs Of Chaos is on the cards Ian?
emotion-4.gif

idc

Could you get yourself onto Spotify Chris? It would interesting to see how it works.

I do watch out for your gig dates, I need one to match with getting to London and back again.

A

Anonymous

I am thinking of upgrading to the Premium service too. I want to run at 320kbps (I think that is correct?) from laptop into my cyrus pre/power.

What is the best way of putting through the system for sound quality? I am right in thinking an Arcam rDock?

Cheers
emotion-2.gif

idc

You are correct with the bit rate and you will need a DAC, laptop to DAC via USB or digital optical/coax (USB is the most common) and then phono from DAC to the amp. So it would be the rDAC not the rDock.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I will have to try out the r-dac.

I was typing and thinking (should not multi-task !!) about my iphone not the laptop.

A

Anonymous

I'm a recent music streaming convert.

I used to have the free version of spotify untill the adverts got too much for me and I upgraded to unlimited.

I loved sitting with the mrs, thinking of songs and/or artists from the past, searching for them and playing them there and then.

Only problem was I used to listen to it on either the internal speakers
of my mac or even worse on the internal speaker of my windows laptop. What I needed was to get the sound to my stereo speakers.

The solution for me was to buy a sonos zp90 and upgrade to spotify premium.

I also thought I would buy a NAS and copy all my cd's to the NAS, so I can access either my own music library or tracks on spotify and play either through my stereo amp/speakers.

There were teething problems to begin with (before I bought the NAS), sonos was accessing my itunes library from my mac upstairs wirelessly and kept skipping/stopping. It turns out sonos don't support wireless connections to your music library source.

I bought a NAS and the dbpoweramp software (oh and a new router with more ethernet ports) and I am 90% of the way through ripping all my CD's to FLAC and accessing them via Sonos. As an iphone owner I downloaded the free sonos app and it looks and sounds great.

There were (and still are to a lesser degree) some teething problems between sonos and spotify where tracks would stop & skip before getting a spotify error message (well reported on sonos and spotify forum pages). But it happems less and less now and I am sure it will be eradicated completely very soon.

The free sonos iphone app isnt as good as the spotifty application but it does the job. Again I am sure it will improve in time.

But I love the way it all hangs together. Last night I put together a halloween playlist for a halloween party we are having tommorow night.

In fact I love it so much that I bought a black sonos S5 when I was at the manchester show. I was promising myself one for xmas but the 12.5% discount was too good to pass up on. Although my mrs couldnt understand why I needed yet another box.

All I need now are the beatles on spotify. Oh ...and maybe an arcam rdac!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes, Spotify is great - it even has some of the more bizarre comedy 78s from when I used to collect them as a student. Check out Leslie Sarony........

I tried the 'Remoteless' app for Mac last weekend, but it only worked sporadically. As a result, I added Airfoil to my (work) Macbook so I can stream from that instead of my iMac in the other room. It was a bit irritating to have to keep going backwards and forwards!

Drummerman - you're right about the SQ of Spotify Premium. It's very pleasing indeed, but 'with the edges knocked off'. There's not quite as much resolution, but the sound is a little more mellow - which is sometimes an advantage. I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement to everything, but especially the soundstage, when I added my DAC last week.

As an aside, I'm a secondary school music teacher, so you can imagine how Spotify has transformed my ability to respond to kids' interests or follow spontaneous trains of discussion about music. It's also full of top quality karaoke tracks which I find very handy. (Just thought I'd mention that in case if any of you lot get the urge to try out the old vocal chords!!!)

T

the record spot

Spotify shmotify. Grooveshark's where it's going to be at soon...

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger:

Yes, Spotify is great - it even has some of the more bizarre comedy 78s from when I used to collect them as a student. Check out Leslie Sarony........

I tried the 'Remoteless' app for Mac last weekend, but it only worked sporadically. As a result, I added Airfoil to my (work) Macbook so I can stream from that instead of my iMac in the other room. It was a bit irritating to have to keep going backwards and forwards!

Drummerman - you're right about the SQ of Spotify Premium. It's very pleasing indeed, but 'with the edges knocked off'. There's not quite as much resolution, but the sound is a little more mellow - which is sometimes an advantage. I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement to everything, but especially the soundstage, when I added my DAC last week.

As an aside, I'm a secondary school music teacher, so you can imagine how Spotify has transformed my ability to respond to kids' interests or follow spontaneous trains of discussion about music. It's also full of top quality karaoke tracks which I find very handy. (Just thought I'd mention that in case if any of you lot get the urge to try out the old vocal chords!!!)

Everyone I know is very thankful I rarely get the urge to try out my old vocal chords
emotion-2.gif
Is someone strangling a cat............

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
JamesOK:
Ive been a relative late comer to digital music, but its certainly the way to go. Just upgraded to Spotify Premium (free months trial), and the sound quality is really good.

So just how do you get this months trial then? I'm obviously looking in the wrong place, but do you need a code or something like that?

By the way, I'm just listening to the latest Tom Jones album "Praise & Blame" on standard Spotify, On Track 6 now and not had an advert yet.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:JamesOK:

So just how do you get this months trial then? I'm obviously looking in the wrong place, but do you need a code or something like that?

By the way, I'm just listening to the latest Tom Jones album "Praise & Blame" on standard Spotify, On Track 6 now and not had an advert yet.

For me it came up as an advert in Spotify player. Ive just googled it though and found nothing. Wonder if you try to upgrade, it may offer free? When I did it I clicked the ad then went through what seemed like a normal upgrade process (it just had a note that said first month free then revert to normal price).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts