Spotify!!!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
JamesOK:DIB:JamesOK:
Ive been a relative late comer to digital music, but its certainly the way to go. Just upgraded to Spotify Premium (free months trial), and the sound quality is really good.

So just how do you get this months trial then? I'm obviously looking in the wrong place, but do you need a code or something like that?

By the way, I'm just listening to the latest Tom Jones album "Praise & Blame" on standard Spotify, On Track 6 now and not had an advert yet.

For me it came up as an advert in Spotify player. Ive just googled it though and found nothing. Wonder if you try to upgrade, it may offer free? When I did it I clicked the ad then went through what seemed like a normal upgrade process (it just had a note that said first month free then revert to normal price).

Cheers,

Just as I read your post I saw that advert in the bottom right of the screen offering a 7 day trial, so I've signed up for the Premium and see how we go. To be fair, I've been promising myself for months to go up to Premium but just never got round to it.

Funnily enough I'd got to track 9 on standard Spotify without any ads (?) before I'd upgraded.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:JamesOK:DIB:JamesOK:
Ive been a relative late comer to digital music, but its certainly the way to go. Just upgraded to Spotify Premium (free months trial), and the sound quality is really good.

So just how do you get this months trial then? I'm obviously looking in the wrong place, but do you need a code or something like that?

By the way, I'm just listening to the latest Tom Jones album "Praise & Blame" on standard Spotify, On Track 6 now and not had an advert yet.

For me it came up as an advert in Spotify player. Ive just googled it though and found nothing. Wonder if you try to upgrade, it may offer free? When I did it I clicked the ad then went through what seemed like a normal upgrade process (it just had a note that said first month free then revert to normal price).

Cheers,

Just as I read your post I saw that advert in the bottom right of the screen offering a 7 day trial, so I've signed up for the Premium and see how we go. To be fair, I've been promising myself for months to go up to Premium but just never got round to it.

Funnily enough I'd got to track 9 on standard Spotify without any ads (?) before I'd upgraded.

Excellent, make sure you turn on the "high bit rate" option, sounds really nice through my Cyrus, so I am sure it will through your kit!

Dont know whats happening with the adverts, very strange.

idc

daveh75:the record spot:Spotify shmotify. Grooveshark's where it's going to be at soon...Been there,done that. The quality of tracks varies wildly and GS has dubious legality!

I also find it a bit clumsy to use, but I do still use it for the bands not on Spotify such as Tortoise and the whole of Grails catalog.

Since I have just been dealing with an issue over a fake ipod, it dawned on me, you can't really fake Spotify, which is another advantage.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack slightly - I understand that you can now sync tracks to an iphone through spotify premium subscription. Could I sync tracks to my ipod classic? If so do I need to purchase those tracks or can I just add them to my playlist/library?

Thanks

SteveR750

I have strted using it too, but a fair number of the tracks on my hard drive are unplayable - filetype not recognised. At least itunes imports and converts so your library is all useable. That said it's great for listening whilst browsing or doing other stuff.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Doesn't work with the classic, sadly, only the Touch and iPhone. But with Premium you can then load 3,333 tracks onto them for free, yes (almost worth buying a Touch just for that!)

emotion-21.gif
Cheers JD

A

Anonymous

just upgraded my
emotion-36.gif
to spotify premium with 7 day free trial

sounds much better now...

can't wait to demo some dacs

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Well, Spotify are doing well from this thread - another Premium 7 day trial just subscribed to! Not noticing a great deal of improvement on my rubbish PC speakers, but it's the offline content on the iphone I'm looking forward to trying out - enjoyed listening to internet radio until I discovered how much of my 500Mb a month it was chewing up!!!

T

the record spot

Just trying out the current Tom Jones album (Praise and Blame). Gone back to the free service for a while as wasn't using premium. Just bought a new 1TB external Western Digital HDD to lump some of the CD collection on to, as well as backing up work stuff (files, accounts, etc.) - reckon there might be a bit of a spend on a DAC/ADC at some point soon too. Roland's "Cakewalk"-UA25 might fit the bill. Looks like the stereo's going over to the computer for at least some of the time soon!

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The high bit-rate option is a preference you need to select in edit > preferences, pretty obvious but I didn't have it turned on for a couple of days at first because I assumed premium would have everything automatically set to the highest quality.

Does anyone find Spotify Premium simply refuses to work after a long period of listening. I spend a lot of time at the PC working, every 2-3 hours of listening I have to close it, leave it a few minutes and sign back in then its good to go again?

I really like the playlist sharing feature, never gave it much thought until recently but its really good as a fresh source of inspiration every now and again
emotion-1.gif

idc

Cpt.Issues, I have had problems with throttling where the band width at times is limited and Spotify cuts out. It happens during busy times on the internet. Could that be what is happening?

For all you Spotify persons, you now need to get yourself a SPOTIBOT to help you find more music.

anderc02

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
I agree , I listen to Spotify through my Hi Fi amp /headphones as a means to search for good music .It does encourage me to buy CD's for real the gems, no hit and hope on rubbish download sites. At least you can sell the cd's if you get bored of them.
Try a Music mag, bottle of wine, Spotify premium and decent headphones.Heaven !

A

Anonymous

Cpt.Issues:

The high bit-rate option is a preference you need to select in edit > preferences, pretty obvious but I didn't have it turned on for a couple of days at first because I assumed premium would have everything automatically set to the highest quality.
emotion-1.gif

Now I realise why I did not notice any improvement in sound quality when I upgraded to Premium
emotion-21.gif

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll:

Subscribed, it's now't special.

Actually, overall, it's not bad. Now, what about DACs?

Currently listening to: Ry Cooder - Johnny Handsome (on spotify)

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Well all my music is computer based, mainly via spotify or ripped CDs. I'm using a Beresford Caiman DAC connected to the PC via TOSLINK cable. IMO it sounds great hooked straight up to my Roksan Kandy amp via the line out.

Also, I tried Spotibot.com. Its actually quite a handy tool for providing inspiration to discover new music or stumbling across forgotten favourites.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:JamesOK:DIB:JamesOK:

Cheers,

Oh no. When I read the advert I was sure it said 1 month, but turns out its only 1 week! I was charged by Spotify and asked them why as I should have had a month free. Evidently it was wishful thinking on my part. Still 7 days is better than nothing. Theyve now got me hooked too.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts