Spotify Upgrade

SteveR750

I have upgraded from Unlimited to Premium, how quickly does the streaming rate take effect? My account page says I have upgraded, and has converted a months Open into 2 weeks Premium. Pretty neat and efficient.

SteveR750

OK, less impressed now. Account page confirms I have an active Premium account, I have loged in and out, and re-installed and it's still playing Unlimited. None of the premium features are active; if the online account can be upgraded instantly (and re-start my billing cycle) then surely instant upgrade is possible??

SteveR750

Doen that (mobile)

The player on the PC shows the version playing on the top "taskbar" and states Unlimited. The mobile app doesnt work (keeps telling me I need to upgrade to premium)

well got a few a days to see if it works eventually, but I expected more - the upgrade from free to unlimited was instant I recall.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Having exactly the same problem - not impressed - have gone from free, to 3o day trial free - still would not work - to paying for.

Only reason I did this was because I have a Rega DAC on trial but got fustrated, so paid full subscription and it still does not accept me as a premium user despite telling me on my account page that I am.

Most annoyed, have sent them an email - I am usually very happy with Spotify.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm an 'Ultimate' user . . . very happy untill last week, the site started limiting my time! Resolved now it seems, no explination. I wonder if they are having server problems . . . or somthing????

CJSF

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Working this morning now.

Sent off an email last night in frustration to the Spotify team - have paid for Premium when I could have got a 30 day free trial (I wasted it in frustration trying to get it to work with the Rega Dac).

Does anyone know if I have to delete all my old playlists and re-do them to take advantage of the higher quality streaming rates ? I have ticked high quality streaming - is this all I have to do ?

Finally, how can I tell if the tracks being played are high quality ? Is there a symbol or something to look out for ?

Must say though, does all sound lovely.

Whats the difference between Premium and Ultimate ?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Also I believe that only certain tracks stream at the higher bit rate......hence why I believe it says "up to".

They may have changed it since I upgraded to premium 6 months ago.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Also I believe that only certain tracks stream at the higher bit rate......hence why I believe it says "up to".

Still want to know how you can tell what is or isnt the higher bit rate stuff ?

Anyone ???

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Jason36 said:

Still want to know how you can tell what is or isnt the higher bit rate stuff ?

Anyone ???

Almost (99%) all.

And I assume by "ultimate" whatsisname means "unlimited". The difference is that with premium you can install on phones and tablets / play through media players, and you get the high bitrate.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.spotifyclassical.com/2011/07/spotify-bitrategate-story-so-far.html

and I quote.

"Important Update (23/09/2011): Spotify's Official Statement: "All music streamed through Spotify is of high quality (no less than 96 kbps for mobile and 160 kbps for desktop). We have a catalog of more than 15 million tracks and more than 99.9% are available in high bitrate (320 kbps) for our Premium users.[/b] Our catalog adds an average of 10,000 new tracks daily and we add the newly added tracks as quickly as possible."

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
The following bitrates apply to Spotify:

Desktop free/unlimited 160kbps

Desktop Premium 320kbps

Mobile (Premium only) 96kbps (Low Bandwidth), 160kbps (High Quality), or (since 11/2) 320kbps (Extreme)

The mobile options are to limit your data use via 3G e.g. 'Extreme' uses about 2.5MB per minute, which is a fair bit if you're on an allowance like with O2 |( It does transform the experience, however, the new streaming rates sound marvellous on mobile or hi-fi

SteveR750

The upgrade kicked in this morning, just as I was leaving for work. So, I now have 500 tracks on my phone, which I can play offline any time anywhere. It works just like itunes / ipod, only without the hassle of itunes and cable syncs as it's synced wirlessly (and you dont even need to be connected to the same wireless network as your pc, it works completely independantly.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
And I assume by "ultimate" whatsisname means "unlimited". The difference is that with premium you can install on phones and tablets / play through media players, and you get the high bitrate.

Hay 'Kermit' . . . I presume you mean me, the name is not difficult . . . 'CJSF' . . . sorry my dyslexic brain got things mixed up again, I mean 'fr0g'.

CJSF

SteveR750

domenn said:
and do you have gapless playback ? :rockout:

Not set, as I rarely listen to classical / themed albums. Most of my playlists are single tracks shuffled, and I like a bit of silence between songs, though would be nice to hear a few clicks and pops during those moments just to complete the illusion.

SteveR750

CJSF said:
fr0g said:

Hay 'Kermit' . . . I presume you mean me, the name is not difficult . . . 'CJSF' . . . sorry my dyslexic brain got things mixed up again, I mean 'fr0g'.

CJSF

Thankfully you managed to keep control of your vowels... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts