Spotify on Network Players

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody use Spotify for classical music in particular on network players like Cambridge Audio CXN, Onkyo TX-8150 and Pioneer N-50A? Is the sound any good?

I know these are all considered pretty good streamers -- but is this good enough if the source is modest... I tend to avoid MP3 files for classical music on itunes -- no good if compared to playing from CD. So I wonder whether it is the same with Spotify on network players. Compressed file, compromised sound!?

Cheers!!

jjbomber

Timo said:
I tend to avoid MP3 files for classical music on itunes -- no good if compared to playing from CD. So I wonder whether it is the same with Spotify on network players. Compressed file, compromised sound!?

itunes is 256kbps and Spotify is 320kbps. So Spotify is still a compressed file. Tidal at 1,411 kbps would be the best all rounder, but if you have a trial membership for 30 days, you'll know for definite.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I use a CXN and play 95% Spotify I even use it on demo's. I dont listen to much Classical though there seems to be plenty available. The CXN upsmaples everything and makes Spotify sound pretty good. It has depth, detail, sound stage everthing. If I'm honest its not quite as good as playing a FLAC but its damm close and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

doifeellucky

I have a CXA60 and a pair of Zensor 3's that I connect via a Chromecast audio to Spotify. I'm no audio nerd but I'm very pleased with that setup. I listen to classical, including film soundtracks, as well as heavy rock, pop etc. Pretty much every genre really. I asked about using a network streamer and no one gave a good reason over just using the Chromecast, which I got for £15.

matthewpiano

I've used Spotify with an Onkyo TX-8050, Marantz MCR610, on my PC with headphones, and streaming via Bluetooth and Android Auto in the car. It sounds excellent.

I don't use Spotify for permanent listening, only for listening to new releases before I purchase them, because I like to have a physical copy of the best stuff. This morning I played Lisa Batiashvili's new recording of the Sibelius Violin Concerto (DG), and earlier in the week I've played Murray Perahia's wonderful new recording of Bach French Suites (DG) and Daniil Trifonov's superb Liszt Transcendental Studies (also DG).

matthewpiano said:
I've used Spotify with an Onkyo TX-8050, Marantz MCR610, on my PC with headphones, and streaming via Bluetooth and Android Auto in the car. It sounds excellent.

I don't use Spotify for permanent listening, only for listening to new releases before I purchase them, because I like to have a physical copy of the best stuff. This morning I played Lisa Batiashvili's new recording of the Sibelius Violin Concerto (DG), and earlier in the week I've played Murray Perahia's wonderful new recording of Bach French Suites (DG) and Daniil Trifonov's superb Liszt Transcendental Studies (also DG).
The Trifonov is the first new release cd I bought for years. It is brilliant isn't it?

Ive abandoned Qobuz for a while to try Tidal, but so far have not found classical music so well represented. And it's £26 a month compared to £20, so suspect I'll switch back to the French company.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I signed up for Qobuz sublime this year and so far have found it to be great if a little more limited in choice than Spotify. It's also integrated into Linn Kazoo so that makes it even better for me.

Forgive the stupid question but I am curious about Tidal and am obviously being a bit thick here. With Qobuz I can stream at CD Quality and also purchase recordings at that quality or hi-res, where available.

Does Tidal offer as high quality in terms of streaming and also the ability to buy at CD/Hi-Res?

Paulq said:
I signed up for Qobuz sublime this year and so far have found it to be great if a little more limited in choice than Spotify. It's also integrated into Linn Kazoo so that makes it even better for me.

Forgive the stupid question but I am curious about Tidal and am obviously being a bit thick here. With Qobuz I can stream at CD Quality and also purchase recordings at that quality or hi-res, where available.

Does Tidal offer as high quality in terms of streaming and also the ability to buy at CD/Hi-Res?
Defintetly you can choose cd quality steaming. Not seen anything re purchases yet. (I had sublime too to save a few quid, but it seemed a lot at renewal time!)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've used Qobuz Classical ( CD quality) in the past and sound wise it was superb; just checked Qobuz website and this £14 option gone; I'm keep checking periodically what's streaming services got to offer and as of Today overall best catalogue comes from apple music ( but I haven't checked classical albums).. one of the reasons I've moved away from streaming was limited availability of the music I was looking for... downloads of new music/ recent realeases are still cheaper than CD equivalents..

iMark

We stream Spotify from a Mac or an iPad through an Airport Express to our Cambridge Audio DACMagic. No complaints about the sound quality. We imagine the sound is slightly less velvety than CDs and SACDs we own ourselves. But that could also be expectation bias.

However, Spotify is extremely convenient and has an incredible library. CDs that have been out of print for years are available. It also makes it very easy to compare different recordings of the same piece of music.

One feature that we started using quite recently is downloading music (playlists) to an old iPad (which has 64GB of memory) and play downloaded music in the car through the Dock Connector. The iPad 1 is a bit obsolete but still has its uses for music.

matthewpiano

nopiano said:
matthewpiano said:

The Trifonov is the first new release cd I bought for years. It is brilliant isn't it?

Ive abandoned Qobuz for a while to try Tidal, but so far have not found classical music so well represented. And it's £26 a month compared to £20, so suspect I'll switch back to the French company.
Yes, the Trifonov is superb. It's what I expected to be honest, as I haven't heard a bad recording by him. Barenboim's new 'On My New Piano' disc however is sadly another matter entirely.

matthewpiano said:
nopiano said:
matthewpiano said:

Yes, the Trifonov is superb. It's what I expected to be honest, as I haven't heard a bad recording by him. Barenboim's new 'On My New Piano' disc however is sadly another matter entirely.
Thanks for the tip, Matthew. I'll give that one a miss! (I liked his Elgar symphonies, and some recent Tchaikovsky however).

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I use Spotify on a Squeezebox Touch using the EDO via USB to M-DAC and Event Opals, sounds superb for me although I know I can get a little more. I plan to upgrade the DAC and add a passive pre-amp. I'm hoping Spotify will go lossless at some point because geberally I find it excellent. I've tried Qobuz and Tidal for periods and while they did sound a bit better for various reasons I went back to Spotify. Mainly due to library, price and the fact I don't need a seperate server running for my SBT as I did for the others (maybe one of the two.)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
My experience is the same as others on here - I particularly empathise with iMark's comments. To be honest, I get more pleasure listening to Spotify in the kichen while I'm cooking or eating and drinking a glass of wine than making a point of sitting on the sofa listening to a CD. In fact, the acoustic in our large kitchen produces a much better approximation to live classical music and more than makes up for the slight loss of 'fidelity'! (By the way, I was pressed into service yesterday page-turning for a harpist, in a trio with violin and cello. On stage amongst the musicians, what an experience - wow! The sound goes right through you - much better than being in the audience).

Spotify allows me such a privileged opportunity to browse recordings, old and new. I still buy the ones I really like. Adding to the excellent list of recommendations, can I suggest the new CD of Bach Partitas by Charles Owen? Wonderfully calming in these troubled times!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts