Spotify Connect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Interesting:
Techcrunch updated their article:

Quote:Update: Spotify says the quote is taken out of context, in that it cannot share future plans, not that it doesn’t have any at all. “We will continue to support and improve the Spotify experience on Sonos,” a spokesperson noted, once again not confirming any timescale or specifics.
Not sure how " no plan to continue to develop with Sonos" can exactly be taken out of context though, seems pretty clear cut to me...

You're very quick! Have been given similar reassurances by our contact at Sonos but no further official comment so far.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
The_Lhc said:
Interesting:
Techcrunch updated their article:

Quote:Update: Spotify says the quote is taken out of context, in that it cannot share future plans, not that it doesn’t have any at all. “We will continue to support and improve the Spotify experience on Sonos,” a spokesperson noted, once again not confirming any timescale or specifics.
Not sure how " no plan to continue to develop with Sonos" can exactly be taken out of context though, seems pretty clear cut to me...

You're very quick!

Giz a job guv, I can do that...

No, I'm not quick but it seems the chaps on the Sonos forum aren't hanging around (as you'd expect really).

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like a welcome development to me, even if it might give me the reason / excuse for a hardware update when it's launched.

At the moment I stream Spotify from my ipad to my Airplay friendly receiver, but this does seem daft when my receiver is already hooked up to the internet anyway. It obviously uses up the battery on my ipad fairly heavily too and I would imagine that a wired connection on the internet will offer a slight improvement in SQ over Airplay.

My current alternative is to plug my ipad into my receiver directly, but then my controller is on my AV rack and not surfing tunes on my lap, which is which is where it should be.

So this seems to offer the best of both worlds - SQ of a decent wired internet connection into the receiver, but nice slick control by your ipad. Can't wait. I'd held off from going the Sonos Connect route because the comments by users on the current version of the Sonos app on the App Store were far from complimentary. Not sure how universal the glitches are?

John Duncan

It's been giving me gyp the last couple of days actually, losing first Spotify and then my entire Sonos system. I'm not aware of having updated anything.

I don't use the iPad app at all to control the Sonos, but use the iPhone one and the Android one on the Nexus, which is really rather good (as is the Spotify Android app).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hope it works for them, they need to do something to become profitable. If every one of their users paid at least the basic fiver then surely they would be.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
I'd held off from going the Sonos Connect route because the comments by users on the current version of the Sonos app on the App Store were far from complimentary. Not sure how universal the glitches are?

I've never had any trouble with my Sonos system, ever. If everybody chose their apps based on comments on the App store I don't think anyone would ever install anything would they?

There's nothing wrong with the app, the Sonos integration has some people moaning but that doesn't like it's going to improve any time soon now.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Some serious backpedalling going on now:

de Mul is now saying this on Twitter:

Quote:mad:chrigu No this is not correct. We will continue to develop and even expand that relationship. We are trying to get this rectified.

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
Leeps said:
I'd held off from going the Sonos Connect route because the comments by users on the current version of the Sonos app on the App Store were far from complimentary. Not sure how universal the glitches are?

I've never had any trouble with my Sonos system, ever. If everybody chose their apps based on comments on the App store I don't think anyone would ever install anything would they?

There's nothing wrong with the app, the Sonos integration has some people moaning but that doesn't like it's going to improve any time soon now.

Well with a couple of tweaks (artist/tag radio for example), I could get rid of my last.fm sub...

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Have the Spotify Connect devices started to surface yet? Beoplay A9 is apparently compliant. Don't know if that's through firmware or hardware though. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned it relies on hardware chip so perhaps only new A9s come with it.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Have the Spotify Connect devices started to surface yet? Beoplay A9 is apparently compliant. Don't know if that's through firmware or hardware though. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned it relies on hardware chip so perhaps only new A9s come with it.

To my knowledge it's now available on Yamaha and Pioneer AV receivers via firmware update. Also Naim announced a couple of days ago that it would be offered as an update in May 2014 to all its streaming devices, although a few online references to this have subsequently been wiped, so how accurate this is, time will tell!

A bit of leaning on Naim reps at the Bristol Show required I think!

I think this sounds like an excellent facility; in theory it ought to offer a slightly better quality than a wireless approach and saves wearing out the iPad battery so much, which is quite a consideration as I use Spotify via Airplay quite a bit.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
Also Naim announced a couple of days ago that it would be offered as an update in May 2014 to all its streaming devices, although a few online references to this have subsequently been wiped, so how accurate this is, time will tell!

Their new dedicated 'FlatSpot XS' power supply isn't ready yet.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Really, an improvement over other wireless methods? I thought it was a purely convenience thing, i.e. the battery saving issue and perhaps less delay on input. Surely if digital the same data is getting passed from one device to another, whether wireless, wired or otherwise.

I see there's a Revo Superconnect in John Lewis that has Connect. Seems a well received device.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I was all set to go to the Bristol Show on Friday but had to change my plans at the last minute
cry.gif

Hopefully next year!

I don't suppose anybody managed to speak with the Naim reps at the show about Spotify Connect? Everything's gone very hush about this. Was the press release a mistake?

[It was reported last week that Naim would be introducing Spotify Connect to its range of streamers, something can got me quite excited at the time]

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
I don't suppose anybody managed to speak with the Naim reps at the show about Spotify Connect? Everything's gone very hush about this. Was the press release a mistake?

It was only a mistake in as much that they hadn't intended to put the release out at that time.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
byakuya83 said:

All B&O Play A9 speakers can run Spotify Connect - it's a firmware upgrade for older models; newer models should come ready out of the box. More info here:

http://www.beoplay.com/a9/spotify-connect

TRENDING THREADS