Spotify (and/or other sources) to MP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me a few pointers on this?

Mrs 12th has bought a waterproof MP3 player for use when we swim (though the chance to actually do so would be great!) and I am wondering about adding content. Ideally I don't want to be buying.

1) Can Spotify downloads be converted to MP3 (I gather they aren't downloaded in that format) and copied across? And if so, is this best done on a PC rather than phone?

2) If not, can someone recommend something compatible with a Win7 machine (my current-spec laptop has no CD drive) that will allow the easy creation of MP3s from CD?

Any help greatly appreciated, obviously the easier the solution the better!

Reactions: MargaretOverall
D

Deleted member 108165

Nah, just a cost cutting exercise by manufacturers, their argument is no one uses CDs anymore. As JJ says just get an external drive with USB connection to rip your CD collection with WMP or other software... don't pay for ripping software as there's plenty of freeware out there like EAC, which I rate very highly.

You may need different software to copy Spotify tracks though as they are not actually downloads are they, they're streams... I don't use streaming services so don't ask me about what program you require - Google it.

D

Deleted member 108165

Correct, but you need to see if the software for copying Spotify streams is free or comes with a fee attached after a trial period. Don't know how difficult this would be but don't expect Spotify to make ripping their content easy.

What you are considering is probably illegal in the UK as you don't physically own the music, neither do Spotify, they just pay artists a sum for access to their music and you pay Spotify a subscription to listen to it, it's a bit like an old radio licence... but much more expensive.

But it never stopped us taping the chart run-down every Sunday from the radio many moons ago.

For ease of use stick with a PC for this.

Gray

I'm thinking of ripping CDs we own instead - don't want to be doing anything illegal - thanks again.
Not sure on the current situation, but I'm fairly certain that, at one time, it was illegal to make (even genuine backup) copies of music you'd bought and owned!
Doug's right about Spotify being strictly for streaming, but you wouldn't be the first to discover that, where there's a will......

DCarmi

All perfectly legal now, as long as you own the CD.
The legal situation in the UK is actually quite confused and unenforceable. If you own the CD you can rip to e.g. mp3 for your own use only. once you have ripped the CD you cannot change the format of the file e.g. flac to mp3. You cannot share the resulting file with anyone, including someone in your household/family.

The Government passed legislation in 2014 to permit ripping of CDs but this was largely overturned by the High Court in 2015. As I say, it is unenforceable and hence "the law is an ass".

iMark

In Spotify Premium you can download tracks to your devices so you can play them offline. I think the Spotify apps even count the number of times a track gets played offline in order to artist to get paid their pittance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts