SPL Meter query Does anyone have one please?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I have bought a cheapish spl (ebay). SL-814. The software (USB) fails completely but also in a quiet location on setting A it shows around 40db. On setting C it shows 60ish. Is this device functioning correctly? Has anyone experience of this meter. Heeeelp !

Cheers

Does anyone have one ? If you lcok yourself in a quiet room (downstairs loo) - What reading does your meter give?

Please help before I return my meter (ebay)

Thanks

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks f1. When using test tones the meter seems to fluctuate between 55 - 60 db but it is impossible to read an average setting. The fluctuations are wild even when in a quiet room. I recon the device is not working properly. Can anyone confirm this?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
You may get 1db on the subwoofer i suppose, but certainly not on the rest of the speakers, I dont think it should move around that much. Mine fluctuates between about 0.2db to 0.4db on my main speakers & on the sub it moves around a bit more.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
At this stage I wasnt using a tripod. Pointing it towards the centre speaker and then pointing it within inches of a rear speaker - I cant really detect an increase in sound - the fluctuations are too much to read.

Thanks

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ah well you should have it in your main listening position sat on a tripod & take the readings from there. If you are just holding it in your hand it's bound to fluctuate more. If you mount it on a tripod in the main listening position ( having set up your amp using Audessey ), you then just use it to alter the gain to 75db on each speaker in turn to get them all even.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just tried it again in a very quiet room but the fluctuations are constant showing between 45 and 60. The digital display changes about 4 times a second so reading is impossible. Surely this is faulty !?

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Have you got it set to a slow response time? (There should be a fast / slow button).

I'm not sure locking the door will make a difference, but i'll try in a quiet room shortly if you still need?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster:
Does anyone have one ? If you lock yourself in a quiet room (downstairs loo) - What reading does your meter give?

Please help before I return my meter (ebay)

Thanks

Not sure what read out you have however I have an analogue type (moving needle over a scale) with A or C weighting and fast/slow response

You need to set the SPL meter pointing upwards approx at ear height in your listening position, do not point at the speakers as you are looking to record what is happening at ear level, set Slow Response, weight C, and adjust reading to 70 or 80 dB scale. increase volume on speakers via the test tone (mixed noise) to 75dB from each speaker with the SPL meter static.

By the way 40dB is considered very quiet in a domestic environment

Sounds like you should return you device and get an analogue type which does not meed to refresh as the meter reading via the mc needle is always active and you should be able to gauge 0.25 to 0.5dB accuracy with ease

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Set on C and slow. All in bed in quiet lounge. Signal from 45 to 63 constantly changing. Covering the microphone makes little difference. Godda be a dud un ?

Thanks all for your help

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Sounds ropey. Using a £60ish digital one from Maplins. I'm sat in my lounge, laptop on my lap. Reading on C / slow does vary slightly but it's between 29 and 33.

Send it back if you can, i reckon.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
No idea why but the readings seem to have settled down though they still seem rather high? And the USB software is not working yet BUT - Measurements after using the Yammy setup seem to be spot on. 75 db all round except the centre which I have bumped up. I ask myself whyI bothered to get one.

Many here say that a meter is essential - it seems my Yammy does the settings perfectly. Mmmmm

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster:

Measurements after using the Yammy setup seem to be spot on. 75 db all round except the centre which I have bumped up. I ask myself whyI bothered to get one.

Many here say that a meter is essential - it seems my Yammy does the settings perfectly. Mmmmm

If Yammy it had it spot on & done the settings perfectly surely you would'nt of have to ""bumped up" the centre speaker.

The reason i got one was because my centre channel speaker coming from the Denon 1910 sounded quiet having used the audessy setup & I also found that all the speaker settings were a bit over the place by up to 3db on the meter at my main listening point. Having adjusted it to all being within 0.2 of a db there is a world of difference in my listening experience.

I would'nt take my back on the grounds that it worked well for me, ok the next amp may be more accurate on the setup, who's to say it will or wont be.

You may have been mostly lucky on the amps setup, it appears to have worked well & just needed to turn the centre speaker up a bit this time, you still used the meter to set it & had to increase the volume, so it was'nt an entirely wasted exercise.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks f1 - not quite sure I follow but thanks anyway. When i used the yammy auto setup I felt a need to increase the centre channel. The meter merely confirmed that all the speakers were spot on except the centre which was raised.

I wonder how loud my car exhaust is? My kettle? My dog? Mmmm

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster:
Thanks f1 - not quite sure I follow but thanks anyway. When i used the yammy auto setup I felt a need to increase the centre channel. The meter merely confirmed that all the speakers were spot on except the centre which was raised.

Don't understand your reticence, for approx £20.00 you have an instrument that can be used to help adjust, confirm and validate YOUR requirement that YOUR av receiver and YOUR speaker system is delivering what YOU expect it to, automated procedures are well and good however an SPL meter brings that extra dimension of confirmation (or not) that all is well for YOU.

Yes?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:RobinKidderminster:

Don't understand your reticence, for approx £20.00 you have an instrument that can be used to help adjust, confirm and validate YOUR requirement that YOUR av receiver and YOUR speaker system is delivering what YOU expect it to, automated procedures are well and good however an SPL meter brings that extra dimension of confirmation (or not) that all is well for YOU.

Yes?

AND...

all for less than the price of a new cable
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS