Spendor A5 or PMC GB1i or other? / cable choice?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System... Audiolab transport and dac, Naim nac122x and nap 150x, Kef IQ5 speakers. cables.... chord chorus 2 xlr(transport to dac), chord chorus RCA-RCA(dac to pre-amp), Atlas hyper bi-wire(speaker cable). Obviously the speakers are the weakest link and I cant decide between spendor and pmc. I dont want a bass heavy speaker, adding the chorus cables has brought alot of bass, although I dont want a tinny speaker either, something that sounds bassy without bringing the block down, yes neighbours above me! Also, I'm thinking of changing speaker cable to Chord epic(if i go spendor i will have to change cable anyway as they are not bi-wire speakers). finally, if a new speaker is equally too much bass, then a change of inter connect between dac and pre may have to happen(chorus is known for massive bottom end), any suggestions on that too? Ray.

A

Anonymous

Well, the obvious answer is that you need to audition some speakers! The Spendor A5 is nice, the A6 might even suit your taste more as it's a little different to the A5. What about a stand mounter? There's the ATC SCM19 which isn't short of bass.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
From what you've described, there's a number of speaker manufacturers you can rule out - B&W, Dynaudio, Neat, Monitor Audio, and some PMC models. Even the Naim's leaner sound isn't going to keep the bass of these speakers in check. The Spendors and the GB1's will be a good place to start, and you could also try the KEF XQ30, especially if you like the general sound of your iQ50's.

By the sounds of it, you'd be better off with standmount speakers as they're not going to produce excessive bass. The SCM11 or SCM19's are worthwhile looking into - being sealed boxes they're leaner sounding then most speakers and less awkward to position. You could also look at the ProAc Response 2's and Monitor Audio's Platinum PL100's.

A

Anonymous

If you are trying the PMC GB1i then ask the dealer to give the
standmount TB2i a go. For me they had a more controlled base with a more open sound.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
From what you've described, there's a number of speaker manufacturers you can rule out - B&W, Dynaudio, Neat, Monitor Audio, and some PMC models. Even the Naim's leaner sound isn't going to keep the bass of these speakers in check. The Spendors and the GB1's will be a good place to start, and you could also try the KEF XQ30, especially if you like the general sound of your iQ50's.

By the sounds of it, you'd be better off with standmount speakers as they're not going to produce excessive bass. The SCM11 or SCM19's are worthwhile looking into - being sealed boxes they're leaner sounding then most speakers and less awkward to position. You could also look at the ProAc Response 2's and Monitor Audio's Platinum PL100's.But you said to rule out Monitor Audio...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts