Visit site
Hi, can someone advise me which speakers to buy between this three:

- KEF R3
- ProAc Response DT8
- Klipsch RP-8000F

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 188533

I can't comment on the first two but I own an older version of the 8000F. Klipsch speakers are very lively and dynamic. They're very forward sounding. Great for live music. Not what you'd want if you were looking for a laid back, neutral sound.

Reactions: Cerco

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
The r3 are a neutral and dynamic sounding speaker. DT8 are a bit more on the warm side. And klipsch are quite rounded too. I think you’ll probably prefer the r3. But I’d go for the floorstander kef as not sure why picking one floorstander and another stand mount. Of course it will depend on the amp, and it’s impossible to predict what you like. As said, listen yourself.

Anyone can advise Cerco (especially once you mention what amp you're using).
But you must decide after actually listening for yourself - ideally driven by your amp in your room.
Exactly, not much relevant information in the OPs post but if we had to choose a speaker from that very short list and have no further information I would be buying the ProAc.
But then again there is a right mix of speaker types and a variable budget.
Confused? I certainly am with respect to where that list came from......

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
The speakers on that list are all so different in character to one another, that I wonder if maybe they were chosen out of a hat?

The Klipsch and ProAcs, in particular, represent practically complete opposites in terms of voicing. So the OP would be best advised to tell us what kind of music he mostly likes, and a bit more about the amp he is using.

Reactions: nopiano and Cerco

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
The r3 are a neutral and dynamic sounding speaker. DT8 are a bit more on the warm side. And klipsch are quite rounded too. I think you’ll probably prefer the r3. But I’d go for the floorstander kef as not sure why picking one floorstander and another stand mount. Of course it will depend on the amp, and it’s impossible to predict what you like. As said, listen yourself.
Thanks Simon

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Exactly, not much relevant information in the OPs post but if we had to choose a speaker from that very short list and have no further information I would be buying the ProAc.
But then again there is a right mix of speaker types and a variable budget.
Confused? I certainly am with respect to where that list came from......
Thank you

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
The speakers on that list are all so different in character to one another, that I wonder if maybe they were chosen out of a hat?

The Klipsch and ProAcs, in particular, represent practically complete opposites in terms of voicing. So the OP would be best advised to tell us what kind of music he mostly likes, and a bit more about the amp he is using.
I like pop/rock music from the 60/70’s (Cohen, Dylan, Stones, etc), Blues, Jazz and Classic.
And I’m undecided between one of the following amplifiers:
- Marantz PM8006 or KI PEarl Lite
Thanks

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I would first eliminate the Klipsches. You are comparing it to significantly higher-end speakers so that's easy. A floorstander at this size and price, with two 8" woofers, could only be a profitable product, at that size, if they spent like four quid on the drivers, max. At that price you'll get better quality parts from smaller boxes (not that it necessarily will sound better).

Then, ProAc v. KEF. You are comparing two designs in which one designer had double the budget and triple the volume to work with. It is not a fair comparison, in other words. All consideration of the "house sound" aside, the larger ProAcs are going to outperform the KEFs most of the time.

A more interesting question would be if you compared speakers at similar size - price can always vary and be considered as value for money. But the ProAc Response D2 v. the KEF R3s - now we could have a proper forum argument about that.

Personally I would not choose your amp for either pair of speakers. And if I were buying the ProAcs, as expensive as they are, it might be better to start there and then look for amps that match well. But I would gently say that the scattergun nature of your choices suggests that you need to do more research to really find what you like. It takes patience to get it right. I would suggest:

- Decide if you want floorstanders or stand mounts first
- Go to a KEF and ProAc dealer. Tell them your amp budget and see what they demo them with. This gives you two listens, with amps that the dealers have chosen for the speakers (so you would hope it put them in their best light - and gives you a starting point to find the right amp). Don't let them say, let me show you what these speakers are capable of, and allow them to hook the speakers up to an amp you can't afford. I assure you: $200 speakers do things you've never heard before when you hook them up to five-figure amps.

The ProAcs are three grand - it's worth taking some time to get this right. I can tell you, at their best, those ProAcs will make you think there is someone in the room with you. But...the KEF Uni-Q drivers play some tricks with 3-D imaging that few, if any speakers on the market can manage, at any price. And both speakers (especially the ProAcs) need the right amp to perform like this. Take some time - you'll be glad,

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
I would first eliminate the Klipsches. You are comparing it to significantly higher-end speakers so that's easy. A floorstander at this size and price, with two 8" woofers, could only be a profitable product, at that size, if they spent like four quid on the drivers, max. At that price you'll get better quality parts from smaller boxes (not that it necessarily will sound better).

Then, ProAc v. KEF. You are comparing two designs in which one designer had double the budget and triple the volume to work with. It is not a fair comparison, in other words. All consideration of the "house sound" aside, the larger ProAcs are going to outperform the KEFs most of the time.

A more interesting question would be if you compared speakers at similar size - price can always vary and be considered as value for money. But the ProAc Response D2 v. the KEF R3s - now we could have a proper forum argument about that.

Personally I would not choose your amp for either pair of speakers. And if I were buying the ProAcs, as expensive as they are, it might be better to start there and then look for amps that match well. But I would gently say that the scattergun nature of your choices suggests that you need to do more research to really find what you like. It takes patience to get it right. I would suggest:

- Decide if you want floorstanders or stand mounts first
- Go to a KEF and ProAc dealer. Tell them your amp budget and see what they demo them with. This gives you two listens, with amps that the dealers have chosen for the speakers (so you would hope it put them in their best light - and gives you a starting point to find the right amp). Don't let them say, let me show you what these speakers are capable of, and allow them to hook the speakers up to an amp you can't afford. I assure you: $200 speakers do things you've never heard before when you hook them up to five-figure amps.

The ProAcs are three grand - it's worth taking some time to get this right. I can tell you, at their best, those ProAcs will make you think there is someone in the room with you. But...the KEF Uni-Q drivers play some tricks with 3-D imaging that few, if any speakers on the market can manage, at any price. And both speakers (especially the ProAcs) need the right amp to perform like this. Take some time - you'll be glad,

Thank you very much for your complete and very well-founded answer. I’ll then choose the ProAcs. Can you, please, recommend me an amp for this speakers (about $1.500 - $2.500)?
I’ll then ask the dealer to listen the ProAcs with both amps and will make my choice.
Thanks!

Thank you very much for your complete and very well-founded answer. I’ll then choose the ProAcs. Can you, please, recommend me an amp for this speakers (about $1.500 - $2.500)?
I’ll then ask the dealer to listen the ProAcs with both amps and will make my choice.
Thanks!
Can you set out what sources you intend to use, your room size, and where you are buying the items? Because this forum is UK based many of us wont know your local pricing or availability.
What brands interest you?

The Marantz KI Pearl Life you mentioned should be perfectly adequate for the ProAcs.
Otherwise, if you have access to them the Musical Fidelity M5si, Creek Evolution 100A, Exposure 3010S2d but as nopiano says it's difficult to recommend without knowing where you are or what you can audition.

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Can you set out what sources you intend to use, your room size, and where you are buying the items? Because this forum is UK based many of us wont know your local pricing or availability.
What brands interest you?

I’m going to use a turntable EAT B Sharp, a CD Player Marantz CD6006 and a Streamer Bluesound Node 2i with the mentioned speakers ProAc Response DT8 and probably the Marantz KI Pearl Lite or another one more suitable but in the same price range (£1,000/£1,500 maximum). The prices here in Portugal are very similar with UK prices.
My room has about 55 sqm.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Use a amp like a Hegel. Marantz amps can be a little wolly in bass comparatively. I found that with a pm7000n versus a h120, though double the cash. Something with high damping factor Will sound better. I defo wouldn’t be using a budget amp on the dt8, big flabby drivers need control. They have new amps out. Or maybe class d would be better. Even the nad m10 or other.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I’m going to use a turntable EAT B Sharp, a CD Player Marantz CD6006 and a Streamer Bluesound Node 2i with the mentioned speakers ProAc Response DT8 and probably the Marantz KI Pearl Lite or another one more suitable but in the same price range (£1,000/£1,500 maximum). The prices here in Portugal are very similar with UK prices.
My room has about 55 sqm.

also check the amps out from Nord Around that price, which I loved checking out. Really cheap and very high power, which punches well above for the money, with great damping factor. they would take the musical fidelity, exposure amps mentioned to the cleaners for the same money As far as driving speakers best. One of the more powerful integrateds he does.. And a good match for the relatively smooth nature of the dt8 with the benefits and efficiency class D power brings. I’d go for a brand speaker at that type of money which is sensible because it obviously does the most, but you get overcharged with amps Of well known brands, so go for a less well known brand amp for most value. Hegels are some of the best at the moment,

Cerco

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
also check the amps out from Nord Around that price, which I loved checking out. Really cheap and very high power, which punches well above for the money, with great damping factor. they would take the musical fidelity, exposure amps mentioned to the cleaners for the same money As far as driving speakers best. One of the more powerful integrateds he does.. And a good match for the relatively smooth nature of the dt8 with the benefits and efficiency class D power brings. I’d go for a brand speaker at that type of money which is sensible because it obviously does the most, but you get overcharged with amps Of well known brands, so go for a less well known brand amp for most value. Hegels are some of the best at the moment,
Thanks Simon

Cerco if you don’t mind looking at the used/discontinued amplification then Rotel’s RA-1062 or Naim Audio’s SuperNait 2 are also worth bearing in mind. Alternatively something in current production and budget permitting Sugden Audio’s A21 or PrimaLuna’s Evo100 vacuum tube integrated.

Fwiw, I believe Proac use Naim Audio , Sugden Audio and with vacuum tube amplification being a particular favourite to partly design and demonstrate their loudspeakers with.

Btw, you’ll need an external phono pre amp/stage with some of the amps.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
The sugden a21 I think it was called was with the dt8s at a London show once. I really liked the sound for half hour I sat down, but sugden is a warm sounding amp. Personally it wasn’t the most neutral For me, depends what you want. I’d definetely avoid Naim as you never get much for you money. Using a particular brand is more a case of commercial partnerships, not necessarily synergy,

rainsoothe

The sugden a21 I think it was called was with the dt8s at a London show once. I really liked the sound for half hour I sat down, but sugden is a warm sounding amp. Personally it wasn’t the most neutral For me, depends what you want. I’d definetely avoid Naim as you never get much for you money. Using a particular brand is more a case of commercial partnerships, not necessarily synergy,
With Naim you never get much for your money except for addictive sound that makes you fear ever changing brands again :p

Reactions: Cerco and MUSICRAFT
Four additional brands have been highlighted to the OP with one being based on vacuum tube technology which Stuart Tyler (Mr Proac) is a big fan of. Commercial partnerships or not there are plenty Proac owners successfully pairing their loudspeakers with Naim Audio and Sugden Audio amplification.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
That sounds like brand loyalty which I worked out I never submit too unless I really can’t do without a certain sound. But Naim isn’t one of those as there are so many similar and as good. What happens in audiophile HiFi is these brands trade off name and reputation to wack up prices. You find out the auralics etc are really not vfm.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
With Naim you never get much for your money except for addictive sound that makes you fear ever changing brands again :p
Four additional brands have been highlighted to the OP with one being based on vacuum tube technology which Stuart Tyler (Mr Proac) is a big fan of. Commercial partnerships or not there are plenty Proac owners successfully pairing their loudspeakers with Naim Audio and Sugden Audio amplification.

thats because you sell it, yes. Hegel hasn’t come up by you because you don’t anymore

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts