speakers to suit Yamaha 1800

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have been told that B&W 684(fronts) and 685 (surrounds) are not suitable speakers for my HT as my Yamaha rxv1800 is not powerful enough for them. Also (at the same shop) I was told that Yamaha amps are very bright sounding and the other speakers I was looking at Monitor Audio RS6 (fronts) RS1(surrounds) would not be suitable either because their metal based speaker cones make them sound overly bright when powered by Yamaha amps. Comments or any recommendations on this or other suitable speakers would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Steve

A

Anonymous

I don't know the Monitor Audio's but i can't see why the B&W 684 and 685 won't work with the RXV 1800. Which speakers did the guy at the shop recommend?

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply Charl

The shop recommend some Krix speakers but I was not really impressed with the demo I had of these. i quite liked the B&W and also the Monitor Audio's but at the shop they were powered by some hi-end gear that really didnt represent the sort of quality amp that I have. The sales person was almost dismissive of the rxv 1800 and wanted to sell me a power amp on top of the speakers because " the Yamaha is not going to have enough power to make the B&W's really sing. But seeing that the yam is rated at 130w per channel I thought that this was a bit odd. Also he told me that Yamaha amps are known for being very bright or even harsh sounding and that because Monitor Audio RS series is also a " bright" sounding speaker that this would make the overall sound even worse. Now having owned low end Yamaha amps in the past I would agree that they can be bright sounding but I thought that the higher end models are much warmer sounding and some reviewers have commented that the rxv1800 is quite a warm and musical amp.

Cheers

tigger

A

Anonymous

Hi Tigger,

I was very happy with my RXV 1800, i upgraded to the RXV 3800 and soon to the RXV3900. A friend of mine has the RXV 1800 with B&W speakers and it is a great sounding set up. I personally use Paradigm speakers.

You won't go wrong with the Yamaha and B&W combination.

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl

I have listened to some Paradigm monitor 11v5, nice looking speaker and heaps of good reviews for them. Unfortunatly were I listened to them was in a very noisey shop , must go back in the week when its not as buzy and have another listen.

Cheers

Tigger

A

Anonymous

I have the Monitor 9's and they sound great with my yamaha amp. Also got them hooked up to my stereo system using the preouts of the yamaha, also great thru the rotel pre/power amp combo. i must admit that i prefer the older versions of paradigm in the monitor 9 series.

A

Anonymous

thinking of a Yam rxv3800 with my PMC GB1+, DB1+, DB1MC speaker set up. Do you think this is a good match? Or perhaps the 1900? (or any other?) Currently using Yam DSP800 processor + Roksan Kandy L111 driving fronts and Cd duties.

Looking to spend £700sh

Any advice appreciated - thanks

Steve

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We use Yamaha amplification with Miller & Kreisel in store, and don't have any brightness or harshness issues - if there was this would show up on the M&K's quite baltantly. In fact, we've been using the DSPZ7 with the M&K 150's, and it's sounding rather good at the moment. I would say that speakers like MA and B&W which aren't the smoothest of speakers may come across as a bit bright or harsh, but this also depends on what type of cables you're using, the volume you wish to listen at, and room furnishings.

The Yamaha isn't lacking power, but most AV amps just aren't going to provide the current need for some hi-fi speaker packages. If you want to go for something like the PMC's, you'll need to be looking at the Arcam AVR600. This ran our KEF Reference very well for a good 5 hours constantly at our musical evening on Wednesday. Top quality hi-fi speakers need better amplification - it's what they've been designed around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts