Speakers to match a CXA81, CXC Transport and a Rega Planar 6 Ania

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi appologies for the delay in responding............ive lived with the quad s4 for a little while now, I personally rate these speakers very highly especially considering the price from Vickers Hifi. I ve listened to them on a Denon m40 mini system, audiolab 6000a & primare i22. The ribbon tweeters really are beautiful with female vocals, string & piano etc, there is something extra the uni Q tweeters on the kef r500s just don't quite deliver to my ears. Whilst they are relatively easy to drive, quad recommend an amp rated 40 _ 200 watts into 6 ohms they obviously deliver more with a more powerful amp. With my primare i22 rated at 80 watts they were sublime, yet still very accomplished & an easy listen with the audiolab 6000a. I tend to prefer less base heavy genres of music, listening to jazz, funk, electronica, classical, pop, country etc..............the one area these might lack for some listeners is base response, for me i liked the fact the base is always delivered in a tight controlled manner, never feeling over bloated. If you listen to predominently heavy rock these might not be the speakers for you, but then again you could always add a subwoofer? I haven't listened to the rega elix r, but would be interested to hear what they sound like together.

(Listening room 5m × 5m, with wooden flooring)
Hi Fidelity Dom,
Many thanks for your thoughts on the Quad S4, I had probably decided just to keep my KEF Q5's, but your feedback now has me reconsidering ! I especially like your comments on the ribbon tweeter..
Would you say the S4's are detailed and refined in reproducing high frequency without harshness ? is the midrange clean & detailed also ? I appreciate you comment regarding the bass, that would be fine for me , I also have a KEF Kube 2 sub woofer (which I don't need with the Q5's) so I could always use it with the Quads, if need be.
I note you have the KEF R500's which seems to be one heck of a speaker ! , overall how would you compare the sound between the two (S4 and R500) ??
I have a decent amp in the Rega Elex-R, and a decent sources from the Rega RP6 and Arcam CDS50, so I don't want to mess up my choice of speakers
KEF R500 review SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - KEF R500 Loudspeakers

Many thanks in advance..

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi Fidelity Dom,
Many thanks for your thoughts on the Quad S4, I had probably decided just to keep my KEF Q5's, but your feedback now has me reconsidering ! I especially like your comments on the ribbon tweeter..
Would you say the S4's are detailed and refined in reproducing high frequency without harshness ? is the midrange clean & detailed also ? I appreciate you comment regarding the bass, that would be fine for me , I also have a KEF Kube 2 sub woofer (which I don't need with the Q5's) so I could always use it with the Quads, if need be.
I note you have the KEF R500's which seems to be one heck of a speaker ! , overall how would you compare the sound between the two (S4 and R500) ??
I have a decent amp in the Rega Elex-R, and a decent sources from the Rega RP6 and Arcam CDS50, so I don't want to mess up my choice of speakers
KEF R500 review SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - KEF R500 Loudspeakers

Many thanks in advance..
Hi........ yes to me the treble & mids on the s4 are where they shine, the treble is just so crisp, clean & airy without ever getting harsh, the mid range is likewise beautiful. As a three way speaker you don't get any of the bluring between the mids & trebble that occurs with some two way designs. To my mind the s4s are comparable to the kef r500s they were £1500 new, the new kef r5s are £2000, so the s4s at a discounted £800 new are to my ears just remarkable value. I hate to admitt it but those ribbon tweeters outshine the kefs on some tracks. Like the kefs i think you will get the best from them with plenty of power, but the rega elix r gives 90 watts ish into 6 ohms if i remember correctly. I would described the quads as having a very balanced refined sound & imagine they would sound great with the rega gear..........😁

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts