speakers started to Humm?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have just changed system to Rega amp and Dac and after about 1 week the speakers have started to humm. he source is a sonos and a CD player via Coax to the Dac and then to the amp. Has anyone any suggestions on possible cause or solution.

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gavinsim said:
Hi

I have just changed system to Rega amp and Dac and after about 1 week the speakers have started to humm. he source is a sonos and a CD player via Coax to the Dac and then to the amp. Has anyone any suggestions on possible cause or solution.

Thanks

Did you change anything immediately prior to the hum starting?

A

Anonymous

The only thing I changed was the source switching from the CD to the Sonos via the DAC, otherwise nothing changed.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So is it ... CD --> Sonos --> DAC --> amp (with digital coax between CD --> Sonos and Sonos --> DAC) ?

Can you try substituting an optical cable in one (or both) of those digital connections?

A

Anonymous

Thanks

sonos is connected to a NAS drive with both the sonos and CD going to teh dac and then the dac to the amp

I don't have any other cables - I might see is if I can borrow one or disconnect one of the sources

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You need to start a process of elimination.

Unplug everything.

Connect DAC to amp with analogue RCA. Turn up volume. Any hum?

Connect CD player to DAC. Turn up volume (with no disc playing). Any hum? Try playing disc. Any hum?

Connect Sonos (without NAS connected). Select it as source. Turn up volume. Any hum? Select CD source again. Any hum from CD player now Sonos connected?

Connect NAS to Sonos, and select Sonos as source. Is this when the hum starts? Select CD player again. Any hum there too?

Basically identify the exact point at which hum starts and the last thing you added is the cause.

Is it a small hum or loud hum? Is it mains frequency? (50hz)

Are you stacking any of the equipment, or have any components right next to each other?

Do you have all of the components sharing the same mains extension?

A

Anonymous

I have tried it with just the amp on and it humms, one speaker is slightly louder than the other if that makes a difference. ny suggestions?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Brio R one speaker is humming buzzing more . when only amp is on with no inputs . and I use power cable from Cleaner audio . Is it faulty unit or? .....

A

Anonymous

Did anyone find a solution to this? I have a new Brio R that is doing the same thing. Plugged into the wall with one speaker connected and nothing else and it still buzzes and hums. I'm planning to take it back to the dealer, but it is quite a long drive.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Seems a design flaw might be to blame. With the transformer and pre amp circuits being so close in a half box design, perhaps they should have bought a Cyrus amp to have a look inside first.

Anyway if it's a trip I probably wouldn't bother with the dealer in the first instance who will almost certainly capitulate. I'd contact Rega direct and see what they say for themselves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts