Speakers recommendations for Budget Audiophiles

RajuBhai

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’m by no means an audiophile, but I want to get the best bang for buck, and after looking at many articles on Bookshelf Speakers vs Passive Speakers with Mini Amp / Receiver, I have come to the conclusion Self-Powered Bookshelf Speakers are better value. I’m looking to buy speakers in the 100 GBP - 50 GBP range (I can go a little bit over budget - up to 200 USD). I usually fall prey to marketing, and have bought Speakers based on Wattage, Dolby Digital / THX Certification, but now I’d like to buy for the long-term, and have a versatile Setup that will perform well for Gaming on the new Xbox, Movies, Music and Content Consumption (Spotify, YouTube and Netflix). Have I made the right decision going with Self-Powered Bookshelf Speakers based on my intended usage? I have considered Presonus Eris 3.5 Studio Monitors, as it has caught my eye being so lowly priced, and its many praises in reviews. But, I’ve held off on my purchase as I want to know the community’s recommendations (I can also integrate larger speakers in my setup too, I’m all for options)

The options I have been looking at so far:
Fluance Ai40 (2019 Model, 165 GBP) [Not Available in UK Market until May 2021]
Edifier R1280DB (2018 Model, 120 GBP) [Non-BT: 75 GBP]
Edifier R1850DB (2019 Model, 160 GBP) [Anyone know Non-BT Variant?]
Presonus Eris 3.5 Studio Monitors (2018 Model, 110 GBP) [Non-BT: 85 GBP]
Mackie CR series?

• Are these Speakers still worth it or has Competition released an Edifier R1280 Killer? (Should I wait for new products to make its way onto the market)
  • In order to receive Audio from Xbox (HDMI Connection), I’m going to hook it up to my Monitor (3.5mm Input Available). RCA to 3.5 mm or 1/4" TRS Cable to PC ? I’d appreciate some Suggestions on how to hook up 1/4" TRS to PC

gasolin

Save 5% with voucher

Reactions: Tonestar1

rainsoothe

I would invest way more than that for a long term solution, I mean people budget crazy amounts on consoles or smartphones they change every 3-4 years, but scoff at the thought of investing 1k pounds in an audio system that can last decades...

In any case, if this is your final budget, most anything can work. The Edifiers are well regarded, and I guess they sound decent enough for the money and convenience they provide. Stuff like the Presonus Eris needs some kind of audio interface between them and the electronics - something with optical input.

Reactions: RajuBhai

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts