TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I have a question regarding the placement of the speakers on the shelf. I am aware that the speakers place on the stand, but unfortunately this is not an option. So when there is no alternative I wonder what the best way would be to place the speakers on a shelf. They are now fixed with a mass similar to the BlueTack mass. These are Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers (front port).

D

Deleted member 160668

I have a question regarding the placement of the speakers on the shelf. I am aware that the speakers place on the stand, but unfortunately this is not an option. So when there is no alternative I wonder what the best way would be to place the speakers on a shelf. They are now fixed with a mass similar to the BlueTack mass. These are Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers (front port).
For SF speakers, these are good kit and really should be used on stands to get the best sound from them.

If this is entirely unavoidable (young kids?), then my previous experience was had custom shelves made which were rock solid affixed to walls and I used isolation under speakers. I used auralex foam, but isoacoustics make some good isolation solutions.

Ideally get them off the shelves if you can.

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. In essence it is a TV dresser. Unfortunately simply have no place for stands, and I believe that many are in a similar problem. On the other hand, in the HIFI world, stands are a must have for bookshelf speakers and that’s OK if there’s room for the same. I think I have never find as coherent guide for placing the speakers on the TV dresser; which pad and why etc. I often hear you put the speakers on a marble slab, and then fix them additionally with this or that, but rarely does any physical explanation stand behind it ...

I suppose wall- mounting brackets are out of the question?
No speaker is going to give it's best sat on something that is going to vibrate.
Some feel marble or granite underneath helps but I fail to see how.
I would find ways to isolate them rather than coupling.

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Even though I have been in the hifi world for a long time (occasionally) for the first time, I understand that there are basically two basic approaches:
-fixing to the dresser
-isolation from the dresser.
That already makes sense to me. Is it possible to draw a parallel in the approach conditioned by the type of chest of drawers, ie its rigidity and weight?

D

Deleted member 160668

Even though I have been in the hifi world for a long time (occasionally) for the first time, I understand that there are basically two basic approaches:
-fixing to the dresser
-isolation from the dresser.
That already makes sense to me. Is it possible to draw a parallel in the approach conditioned by the type of chest of drawers, ie its rigidity and weight?
You would couple (fix) to a solid floor such as concrete. For a dresser this would be a terrible idea as despite how rigid it may appear it will reverb and make the sound poor.
In your circumstance you should find a good decoupling (isolation) solution. The IsoAcoustic stands mentioned above are well regarded. There are also other cheaper options such as sorbethane pads (polipods) or Auralex foam. I've tried both before the foam was better.
For the quality of speaker you have in your scenario I'd be going for the IsoAcoustic stands.

Let us know what you go for and how you get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts