Speakers for Onix OA 21S

bop68

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am a so called "newbie" on this excellent forum. This is my first post and ..I need your help. (Sorry for my english, I am French):

About me: 40 something, jazz lover (mainly 50´s to 1970´s), former LP listener but had to use only CD player

The equipment:

CD player: Marantz CD63 KI

Amp: Onix OA 21S

Present speakers: Acoustic Energy Aegis 2

My room is about 4x5m, 3m high. I am listening at low to moderate volume, I need bass but am no basshead though.

The problem: I cannot find any speaker that really match the potential and the musicality of my CD and amp. The Aegis are quite good but the treble is definitely too soft for my taste. I tried changing cables and so on but it remains too soft. Non fatiguing for sure but a tad more bite would not hurt.

After testing quite a lot of speakers, I need help on what speaker I could associate to my set up.

What I already tested: Castle Isis, Rega RS1: great but really too shy on the bass side (again, I do not need enormous bass amount but without bass, something is missing...) Mission 751F, quite good in itself but matching was not that great....

I have been looking lately at Quad12L (the older model), B&W CDM 1 SE (I like the look). I am looking for used/2nd hand speakers, preferably compact speakers.

I hope someone can help, give recommandations on the Quad and BW or advise something else.

Thank you

Bop68

TRENDING THREADS