Speakers for Marantz PM350??

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

Recentely got to my possition an old vintage Marantz PM350. I sent it off for a good service and I am expecting to have it back till the end of the week. I would like to use it but I dont have a clue on what budget should I spend on speakers for this. I wouldn't want to go over 300-350 euros but still I dont know if even this is overkill.

I would apreciate some suggestions. My source is a Laptop connected to an ifi micro idsd wich will be going be connected to the marantz with rca cables.

I have been looking at some monitor audio, dali zenzor, kliphsh and focals but I really dont know if those speakers would be ''to much'' for that amp. This amp can go like 38 watts/channel.

CHeers.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Some of the older marantz amps work better with 8 ohm speakers than 6.

I would look at a set of monitor audio bronze 2 or similar, the are 8 ohms and 90db so the amp does not need loads power to drive them

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes but in terms of the amp quality, would it be an overkill to spend 350 euros for the bx2?

I am asking this because its an old amplifier. Of course there is allways a chance to upgrade the amp later. In the same price as the bx2 are the focal chorus 705 the klipsch R-15M and the dali zenzor 3.

Wich of them are a better value for money?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
maxpain said:
Yes but in terms of the amp quality, would it be an overkill to spend 350 euros for the bx2?

I am asking this because its an old amplifier. Of course there is allways a chance to upgrade the amp later. In the same price as the bx2 are the focal chorus 705 the klipsch R-15M and the dali zenzor 3.

Wich of them are a better value for money?
They are all pretty good but the monitor audio bx2 have the awards and I like the zensor 3's it will all depend on what amp you buy and how big your room is as the zensor's are quite large.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm running a Marantz 1060 with a pair of Wharfedale 507.2. These are mid-eighties speakers and sound excellent with a vintage amp. I also have a pair of Mordaunt-Short Mezzo's 2 which I bought as replacements for the Wharfedale's. Sounds fine too, but I keep coming back to the Wharfedale's.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I do have some technics sb cs 70 from an old system. I have never played them and I dont know if they are worth it. In the end I will buy the speaker that sounds best to me but I fear in case that I will buy something that is too good for this amp thinking that this is a 30 years old machine.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 108165

Try a locally available used pair of speakers. eBay or Gumtree should offer up some possibilties.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I am still amazed at how well they sound. My 1060 is the best vintage amp I have ever heared, but I have also owned a Marantz 1040 and a Marantz 2216B. Both have less power than the 1060, but they sounded very good with both modern and vintage speakers. I don't know your Technics speakers, but they really look serious and a quick Google search revealed nice comments. Just give them a try with your Marantz and decide if you like the sound. I think you will not be disappointed!

gasolin said:
Q Acoustcis 2010i or 3020

Many, it seems, will offer speakers for consideration without actually determining how you intend to place them or the size / shape of your listening room. Compared to this the power of the amp is slightly irrelevant.

Can you illuminate us as to how you intend to place them and in how big a room?

gasolin

Depends on what size room Maxpain has,bookshelf or speaker stand fairly close to a corner,wall to get more bass,slight more warm,full bodied sound, i have a nad c 717 dvd reciver for my 2010i's (2x20/30 watt in 6ohm) and they do get pretty loud in a medium sized room like a big bedroom and for there size good bass, they a blit less the 40cm from a rear wall

Clear open sound, with a good amp they do sound punchy, great for voices (use it for my tv) sometimes i do use them to listen to music,concert,cd

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
What is said about size of room is of course true. I generally would assume (and you know what is said about assuming)someone wants good value shelf speakers unless they state they want floor Standers The Q acoustics mentioned are nice, but they are 6 ohm impedance, maybe your marantz is ok for them but some older marantz amps want 8 ohms

gasolin

Every speaker goes down toi 5 ohm or lower, it would be hard to find something that's only 8ohm (a som frequency they more or less all go way under 8ohm)

https://www.hometheater.co.il/p-1.article05251.html

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
Every speaker goes down toi 5 ohm or lower, it would be hard to find something that's only 8ohm (a som frequency they more or less all go way under 8ohm)

https://www.hometheater.co.il/p-1.article05251.html

I assume that's aimed at me. I agree, but an 8 ohm speaker might drop 3 ohms as will a six ohm one. The issue is more current flowing and heat. My lady marantz pm4200 regularly cut out with 6 ohm speakers connected, not even being pushed at volume. When I connected 8 ohm ones it never happened.

A look at the manual stated that speakers in the 8-16 ohm range were to be used due the thermal cut out, which apparently was very sensitive in (some) older marantz models.

I'm not looking to give a science class here, only sharing an experience that may or may not help someone else

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The room they are going to cover is not very large. And they will be placed on stands for floor speakers.

They are curentely being used to fill a very large living room so I think they will be doing a good job filling my smaller room. I think that this both technics and the marantz amp are on 8ohms. So its seems that I could use those speakers till I end up to something better like the focals or the q accoustics.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts