Speakers for marantz cd5001 & pm4001

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am new to the world of separates and have just bought the cd5001/pm4001combo at RS. At present I am using bi-wired gale monitor gold speakers (using basic QED cable) in a room 3m x4m. It is certainly an improvement on my old Teac CR L600, which will now be consigned to the bedroom. My first question is this: would a change of speaker to a WHFISV 5 star pair e.g.Tannoy Mercury F1 custom, Wharfedale 9.0/9.1,Mordaunt Short 902i, Monitor Audio Gold BR2 (budget £150) be a noticeable upgrade as I was thinking of getting Tangent Evos for the bedroom? If the upgrade would be worthwhile which would be good for 70s Folk (Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens etc) Jazz and some choral classical? I have read on the forum that a subwoofer could be added to the amp for classical. If so what would be good and (excuse me for being technically limited) where exactly to the red and black sub woofer wires go in the back of the amp? I would like to run a second set of speakers to the kitchen. Would this have to be sacrificed for the subwoofer? Any help gratefully received.

matthewpiano

I'd go for the F1 Customs with that set-up. They'll bring about a huge improvement over the Gales. I don't really advocate the use of subwoofers for stereo set-ups, and especially for classical music, so someone else will have to advise you on that. Hope you get lots of pleasure from your new system!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally with that set-up i'd go for Monitor Audio BR2's with some decent stands.

Sevenoaks have a 25% discount off all Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver range speakers currently so i'd take advantage of that whilst you can.

The BR2's have cracking reviews and will be vetry good for the likes of Joni Mitchell etc...

matthewpiano

Hmmm. The PM4001 isn't up to driving the BR2s. I tried this combination and it sounded absolutely awful. The 4001 is a very mediocre amp IMO (in fact I thought it was horrendously bad) and I wouldn't go any further than the Tannoys with it. But hi-fi is very personal and so you must give Dan's suggestion a go - you might just like it.

A

Anonymous

Forgive me my lack of technical knowledge, but I gather from the speakers that have been advised in this topic, that it wouldn't be a problem to connect a speakerset at 6 ohm to the PM4001? I've read somewhere that it might damage the amp, so I'm a bit cautious.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Wiljan"]
Forgive me my lack of technical knowledge, but I gather from the speakers that have been advised in this topic, that it wouldn't be a problem to connect a speakerset at 6 ohm to the PM4001? I've read somewhere that it might damage the amp, so I'm a bit cautious.

[/quote]

Impedance! That's one important characteristic of a loudspeaker. I am glad you are paying attention to that parameter. That proves that you do not lack technical knowledge :)
Coming to your question, short answer is: No.
Long answer is: Impedance of a loudspeaker is a "nominal" value. That is to say, a loudspeaker rated at 8 ohms, doesn't stay at 8 ohms throughout the frequency spectrum. The impedance of a loudspeaker changes as its cone move to produce different frequencies of sound. So even an 8 ohm loudspeaker will invariably touch 6, as it would 10 or 12.
The key lies in the "nominal" value. 8 ohm rating means these will be a "perfect match" for amp designed to drive 8 ohm loads. That is NOT to say, it cannot drive lower or higher loads. It still can, the only difference would be the ease with which it can do so.

A

Anonymous

Dear Mathew and Dan thank you for the suggestions I will audition both the Tannoys and the BR2s asap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts