Speakers for Luxman R-1040

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently bought a vintage Luxman R-1040 receiver, which plays great - very warm and full sound. But I wanna get some new speakers, for maybe £400-600. Thinking about Monitor Audio RX-1 and B&W 685, among others. Do you guys have any recommendations? Which of the two would be best suited? Are there others? I listen mostly to guitar based indie music from the 90's and 00's (Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire etc) and some 60's stuff (the Beatles, the Byrds), as well as soft singer-songwriters (Neil Young, Nick Drake).

I know the best option is to listen to the speakers myself, of course, but I won't be able to compare the MA's and the B&W's in the same shop.

All thoughts are welcome, I'm open for any other speakers as well (preferably with that same wood finish, though), cheaper ones too!

Thanks!

lofionhifi said:
Hi, I've recently bought a vintage Luxman R-1040 receiver, which plays great - very warm and full sound. But I wanna get some new speakers, for maybe £400-600. Thinking about Monitor Audio RX-1 and B&W 685, among others. Do you guys have any recommendations? Which of the two would be best suited? Are there others? I listen mostly to guitar based indie music from the 90's and 00's (Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire etc) and some 60's stuff (the Beatles, the Byrds), as well as soft singer-songwriters (Neil Young, Nick Drake). I know the best option is to listen to the speakers myself, of course, but I won't be able to compare the MA's and the B&W's in the same shop. All thoughts are welcome, I'm open for any other speakers as well (preferably with that same wood finish, though), cheaper ones too! Thanks!

Hi lofionhifi

What speakers are you currently using?

Your source component/s?

The size of your room is?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Your general listening level?

Speaker cables are?

With a new pair of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Just using an old pair of Philips something now, not quality... Have had a pair of B&W before that sounded good, but I actually don't know what model.

Mostly playing through the computer, lot of lossless stuff. Just using an RCA-cable now, but looking to buy a DAC as well. Will also play CD's from an LG bluray, via the DAC, and maybe some vinyl records, but computer is priority one.

Room is something like 20 square meters, but as it is now not more than 2-3 meters between speakers (can maybe change it to a maximum of 7-8 meters). Listening level is hard to tell, anything from low (live in an apartment building) to pretty loud - the Luxman has got some power... I play acoustic guitars (6- and 12-string) to the music a lot, so the music must be able to be played loud enough to not be drowned by that. :)

The ideal is just to enjoy the good music. Looking for a warm but still detailed sound for the kind of music I mentioned. I prefer NAD over Denon, for instance, but I don't want the music to sound too murky. So, warm, full, but still detailed.

And oh, some more info on the Luxman R-1040: http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-R-1040.html

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

The Focal Chorus series maybe? Can't say I like the look of them, but people seem to enjoy their sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lofionhifi said:
The Focal Chorus series maybe? Can't say I like the look of them, but people seem to enjoy their sound.

I agree with you on the looks, but they should work nicely with the warmer sound of the Luxman.....maybe worth a demo. Another lively sounding speaker company worth checking out, is Triangle. There is also the usual suspects from Kef, Monitor Audio, EB Acoustics and ATC.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, reading about Triangle now, and seems like a nice option. Kinda hard to find shops where you can try them in Sweden, though. But thanks for the tip! :)

I've tried the B&W 685 and liked what I heard, but the Monitor Audio RX1 looks better (haven't heard it yet). Anyone who can compare them (or similar Monitor Audios)?

lofionhifi said:
Hi Rick,

Just using an old pair of Philips something now, not quality... Have had a pair of B&W before that sounded good, but I actually don't know what model.

Mostly playing through the computer, lot of lossless stuff. Just using an RCA-cable now, but looking to buy a DAC as well. Will also play CD's from an LG bluray, via the DAC, and maybe some vinyl records, but computer is priority one.

Room is something like 20 square meters, but as it is now not more than 2-3 meters between speakers (can maybe change it to a maximum of 7-8 meters). Listening level is hard to tell, anything from low (live in an apartment building) to pretty loud - the Luxman has got some power... I play acoustic guitars (6- and 12-string) to the music a lot, so the music must be able to be played loud enough to not be drowned by that. :)

The ideal is just to enjoy the good music. Looking for a warm but still detailed sound for the kind of music I mentioned. I prefer NAD over Denon, for instance, but I don't want the music to sound too murky. So, warm, full, but still detailed.

And oh, some more info on the Luxman R-1040: http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-R-1040.html

Thanks!

god morgan lofionhifi

Thanks for your reply.

From what you've described i really feel you're pretty much heading towards the Silver RX1's :grin: The Silver RX1's power handling capabilities and overall tonal balance should suit your Luxman receiver just nicely :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Just found a pair of used RX1's, will probably buy them now. Thanks for all the help!

A

Anonymous

I'm getting them in walnut. Doesn't match the Luxman completely, but I love the look of them... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts