Speakers for Hegel H190 amplifier

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I’m just replacing some Cyrus amplifiers with a Hegel H190. Ordered but not yet received it.
My current speakers are Focal Aria 906 on focal stands. I originally chose these because my room is quite small at 4m x 3m, and these were large cabinets with front firing ports.
Anyway, I was wondering for some advice as to whether the vocals go with the Hegel well? Or if a speaker upgrade should be considered.
Other speakers I’m considering include the Kef R3, Kef LS50 Meta, Buchardt S400, Amphion Arhon 3S (if I can get them used or ex display). Looking to spend £1000 to £1600.
Would prefer something with good bass reproduction. Typically listen to rock, dance, pop, rnb music.
the Hegel h190 will stream music directly from my Mac using Audirvana. Typically most of my library is lossless with some hi res audio.
I’m ideally looking at speakers that can be placed a maximum of 30cm from the wall and maybe 50cm from a corner of the room.
Any suggestions, opinions or experience is much appreciated.

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I’m just replacing some Cyrus amplifiers with a Hegel H190. Ordered but not yet received it.
My current speakers are Focal Aria 906 on focal stands. I originally chose these because my room is quite small at 4m x 3m, and these were large cabinets with front firing ports.
Anyway, I was wondering for some advice as to whether the vocals go with the Hegel well? Or if a speaker upgrade should be considered.
Other speakers I’m considering include the Kef R3, Kef LS50 Meta, Buchardt S400, Amphion Arhon 3S (if I can get them used or ex display). Looking to spend £1000 to £1600.
Would prefer something with good bass reproduction. Typically listen to rock, dance, pop, rnb music.
the Hegel h190 will stream music directly from my Mac using Audirvana. Typically most of my library is lossless with some hi res audio.
I’m ideally looking at speakers that can be placed a maximum of 30cm from the wall and maybe 50cm from a corner of the room.
Dynaudio Evoke 10 ( £1 250 ) / ( for £200 more can get Evoke 20 = £1800 ) )
Bowers & Wilkins 706S2 ( £1 149 ) / ( for £200 more can get Bowers & Wilkins 705S2 = £1799 )
Monitor Audio Gold 100 ( £1 399 )

rainsoothe

Hi. Imo all these speakers are a sideways move, maybe minor (subjective) improvement. Problem is, with space that limited, it's hard to recommend something worthwhile, at least for that budget. Maybe try to audition a pair of Spendor A1, or Graham Chartwell ls3/5a, but you might feel you need a sub with those (especially so with the Grahams) or Graham ls6 (also, I think the Grahams are above your budget). Or, if you don't mind going sh and can find a pair, look for B&W PM1 (with their matching stands).

Unless you can add DSP to your system, which makes for an easy recommendation of the Revel Performa 3 m106.

I would look at Harbeth, either the C7 or the smaller P3s.

Of course, Alan Shaw never recommends any amp. Ahem 6.0 mins.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all, I think if I could afford dynaudio special 40, I’d go for them. Otherwise my guess is that there wouldn’t be great improvements over what I’ve got.
Like the look of Spendor A4’s though 😀

D

Deleted member 116933

For that budget I’d add wharfdale Lintons/Denton to the audition list. The lintons would give the biggest bang for the buck. And certainly would give you more presents over the focals.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Wouldn't it make sense to wait for the amplifier to arrive before contemplating new speakers? I know it seems mad but ... .

The Hegel will control any speaker well. I had the lower 90 and more recent the 120. So the amplifier will not be the limiting factor but your room may be.

I am now using the later Kef Actives and although they appeal in many ways, bass monsters they are not (without sub) and you may feel somewhat underwhelmed with the passive Meta considering your preferred genres, but that is just an assumption on my behalf.

Kef have however just brought out the kc62 subwoofer which matches the LS in looks. This could well make a perfect choice if the room is not too big.

I used Quad's S2 with the H120 and liked it much but again may not be your thing. However, they sound warmer than the Kef's.

I can't speak about your other choices as I have not heard them.

Last edited:

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice 😁 Yes I’m going to listen to the focals and not just upgrade. But I was hoping just to see if anyone knew of speakers that may sound better. But I agree, room size etc has a massive effect on it - and ideally I’d audition some.
Interesting about the kef sub, that sounds pretty cool

Thanks all, I think if I could afford dynaudio special 40, I’d go for them. Otherwise my guess is that there wouldn’t be great improvements over what I’ve got.
Like the look of Spendor A4’s though 😀

Given you can't have any more than 12" or so from the wall I would avoid Dynaudio Special 40. Great speakers but they do need plenty of breathing space. Likewise with Kef R3, plus you have to allow for the depth of those speakers.

One speaker I can heartily recommend is Totem Arros. They are tiny floorstanders that sound good close to a wall... and give you a huge bang for your buck.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Just thought. I use the stereo speakers (focal 906) as front speakers of a 5.1.2 home theatre system (as well as the speakers in the stereo system), using the home theatre bypass feature of the integrated amplifier. As part of the 5.1 setup, I have a b&w AS610 sub woofer. It looks as though it has line level and speaker level inputs and a volume knob for both inputs. Could I therefore use that sub to complement the kef ls50 meta’s if I chose to change to those loudspeakers? So use the sub in the 5.1 system using line in and use it in the stereo system using speaker level inputs...

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So the amplifier came and sounds fine with the focal speakers. I have however purchased the BK XXLS400-FF subwoofer to give added punch to the bass of the focal speakers. It can also be wired to perform bass duties in cinema mode too. So kills two birds with one stone.

Reactions: rainsoothe

gasolin

i really wanted with my rotel a11 tribute to go a bit beyond low budget, more low high end or entry level high end bookshelf speakere up to kef ls50, dynaudio evoke 10, just before something like buchardt s300/400, B&W 705, older B&W 805,kef r3 and preferable ribbon tweeter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts