speakers for electro companiet ec5mk2

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all and thanks for reading I am interested in redoing my all hifi set up.I listren and liked the ec5mk2 thru B&& 805d. I know choosing speakers is a personal thing and need to audition but i was wondering if anybody could tell me what other brands should i audition and most importantly which ones to stay clear off. musicwise,my genre folder in jriver includes, classical, dub,reggae, electro, pop,rock,accoustic...so quite a fair bit i guess. thanks in advance john

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

KEF use Electrocompaniet to show off their Concept Blade at shows, and the rep claims it works just as well with their Reference range, so see if you can audition the Reference 201/2's. They're extremely easy to place as their port is on top of the cabinet, and the shape of the cabinet means virtually zero standing waves. They also use KEF's room boundary compensation, whereby the bass can be cut by 2dB if being place right up against a wall. They're a three way system comprising a two way UniQ for treble and mid, and separate bass driver. One thing the UniQ driver is extremely good at is allowing the user to sit as close as they like. The closer you get to a conventional loudspeaker, the more aware you are of the treble coming from a different point to the mid/bass - no phasing issues with the UniQ driver. They're extremely clear and open, with oodles of detail, and quite a taut, solid bass for their size. One of my favourite standmounts, regardless of price.

You could also try the Neat Ultimatum MFS. It's not a model I've heard yet, but having heard their Ultimatum XLS at the Bristol Show, I'd expect very good things from them.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi david,

thanks a lot for replying and giving me your views on the ec5mk2 speaker match.To be honest i did not even consider the kef range but that s why i posted as m sure there would plenty of brands i d overlook.
Will try to audition them as soom as possible.
thanks again..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi stpierre

The Electrocompaniet is a lovely organic sounding amp that deserves good speakers - by the way, what source are you using?

I think the advice from David is spot on.....I have Kef Ref and (IMO) believe them to be superior to the B&W, so absolutely worth an audition....their wonderfully open presentation should complement the slightly laid back presentation of the amp.

Other "must audition" speakers are:

Neat ....................Ultimatum (as mentioned)

Sonus Faber..............Cremona Auditor M (gorgous sounding - mid/trebble more than makes up for the slight bass lightness)

Spendor .................Classic R SP2 3R Mk2 (Might leave the whole thing too laid back, maybe David could advise on this)

Dynaudio Confidence C1...(probably out of budget)

Harbeth..................(Try to get a listen to some of the range if possible.)

As to what to avoid.....that's much more difficult as it's so subjective, and may put you off listening to something you might enjoy. The best I can do is list some of the the speakers that I avoid:

Focal
Atc
Triangle
Monitor Audio
B&W (sorry :( )
Dali

I stress, the above list is very personal, and certainly doesn't mean that they are poor...just not to mt taste.

My advice is based on standmounts around the B&Ws that were mentioned. If floorstanders are in the equation, then the goal posts move, and the likes of PMC and Proac come into play...what is your room size and do you have a strong preference?

Cno

A

Anonymous

The Cremona floorstanders or, failing them, the standmounts would be my pick, followed by some Martin Logans. I probably wouldn't pick KEF or Neat, though I agree the Electrocompaniets would definitely flatter those speakers, as they do many others.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi cnoevil

Thanks a lot for replying with so much detail.I trully appreciate it.I know choosing speakers is a personal thing but m sure there are some brands to avoid.To be honest i was going to look at the focal purely because they look good...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stpierre76 said:
Hi cnoevil Thanks a lot for replying with so much detail.I trully appreciate it.I know choosing speakers is a personal thing but m sure there are some brands to avoid.To be honest i was going to look at the focal purely because they look good...

...and that's as it should be.

My dealer swears by Focal (try Electra 1008 Be), and would often pair them with Electrocompaniet. They are very clean, clear and detailed, with one of the tightest, most controlled and detailed bass out there....just a little cold, clinical and bright for me, but report back with your findings.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts