Over the ear headphones for electronic music...

Fantik

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
HI!

I am thinking of buying over the ear headphones, but I'm with some doubts ...

My sound sources at the moment are just the laptop and when I got him home I have it connected to a Denon amplifier (PMA480R).

The genre of music I usually listen is Electronic, ranging from Techno to Psychedelic Trance, but I also listen to Rock, Pop, Classical, Etc.

Which ones are best for me: Momentum Sennheiser, AKG K701, Q701, K501, K550, B & W P7 or others?

I liked some headphones with good sound detail, but also with good bass.

I also use headphones to play computer games and watch 1080P movies and sometimes I like to play with Fruity loops.

Thanks in advance!

clinton333

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not as well versed as Dalethorn on this subject for sure, however...

I listen to a mix of genre's too but predominantly electronic and progressive trance

and I can only agree with the suggestion of the B&W P7... Which I now have.

They should suit your needs very well...

Good luck with your search :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
My money would be on the P7's also. I've listened to most of those headphones and apart from the P7 their bass goes deep, but is rather lean (quiet). The P7's are smooth and lush with plenty of upper bass potency, without feeling over bloated, or in any way unrefined. Unlike some other bassy, but nice headphones (eg. Momentums) the P7's sound good outside, driven from a phone and then sound stunning when properly amplified. When driven from my rather messy and bloated Galaxy phone they still sound OK, but the sound was nicer when driven from an iPhone.

Fantik

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the tips!

One more question.

I was reading some reviews and people speak very well of NAD HP50.

What your opinions between P7 and HP50?

Thank you!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Fantik said:
Thanks everyone for the tips! One more question. I was reading some reviews and people speak very well of NAD HP50. What your opinions between P7 and HP50? Thank you!

I've been following that one on Innerfidelity for some time, along with others of Paul Barton's designs. My opinion is, and based in large part on what Tyll says, you could just turn down the treble of the P7 some and you'd have HP50 sound. I think the P7 treble is a good high fidelity treble that works best on a wide range of music (and it's not bright like the Sennheiser HD800 or Shure 940 etc.), but for some odd reason there are people in the industry who like the recessed treble some of these headphones have, which they (mistakenly) believe makes them sound more like speakers. But to get that 'sensation' of speakers by sacrificing important musical detail the in the treble (which BTW the better speakers definitely produce) - I think that's a bad idea.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Please try the AKgG K550's as they are great for around £125.00. Also don't discount the Grado 80i's as they are on offer, reduced to £100 at Grado.co.uk. I think both of these are stonking at this price.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Also consider the AIAIAI TMA-1. They are very good indeed for what you are after.

Or indeed the Reloop RHP-20 and 30.

Both of these brands offer great sound quality (unlike the Beats of this world), great value, solid build and are optimised for what you listen to.

TRENDING THREADS