Speakers for Cyrus Pre XPd and X-Power

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there!

I´ve been looking for a couple of speakers for a while now, and i can´t make up my mind. Unfortunately there aren´t many dealers around here, I´ll be able to try out Dynaudio, System Audio, Dali and B&W but no more. Should I try to to buy without listening? I know it´s a longshot, but it might be worth it.

I listen to almost anything, I find something in everything. Although I mostly listen to a lot of indie, rock, metal.

Sources will mainly be streaming to my Apple TV G.2 through the Cyrus DAC. Also got a Yamha rx1067 and SVS PC12-NSD, haven´t decided if i should sell them or not yet.

They will be placed in a small room, approximately 3.9x3m, with a lot of furniture. They would have to be quite close to the backwall, since there is not that much room. Most likely on one of the longest walls, I´ve been thinking about standmounted speakers. But how much less do i get, a bigger speaker would be more effective?

Budget around 1000 pounds, could probably stretch it to 1400.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
If you are willing to buy blind, you could do worse than the FOTM Kef LS50's. With a nice pair of stands would come to £1000, and i think would work really well in a small room like that.

In my opinion Dynaudio go really well with cyrus, but you need room to let them breathe otherwise the bass gets overblown, and I dont think you will have room so I would be looking elsewhere. Shame as they could suit very well, esp with your music preference. Definitely demo first if you go this way, at home if possible.

I had a thread running recently about Dali with Cyrus, as ive never heard them together. Judging by the response to my thread, neither has anyone else! Why dont you have a demo and let us know how they go together ;)

The B&W CM series could be within budget and is well liked by many. I havent heard them, and have never really got on with most of the B&W speakers I have heard, so Im not sure I would be going with them unless you can stretch to the PM1's.

The other makes that go really well with Cyrus IMO are Spendor and Vienna Acoustics. Spendor can be great (I have the SA1's) but I wouldnt say they are speakers for metal etc so prob not the ones for you. Vienna acoustics on the other hand could work, but you might need to go second hand and they dont come up very often. Theres a pair here within budget tho. If you wanted to buy something blind this might work :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've used B&W CM8s with PreXpdQx and Xpower, then 2 Xpowers in mono. Worked very well for me, though the sound definitely got better with a pair of X powers in mono. ie they thrive on a bit of oomph.

Since then I've moved to a DAC XP+ but will keep the X powers as probably more than sufficient to power CM8s (ie, I don't think I'd get a good value benefit from moving to X200s or X300s.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply! :)

I´ve been looking at the LS50 as they have cleared the table with their rewards, very interesting. They sell for about 1000 pounds by them self here, only know about 1 dealer selling them.

Was offered the Spendor A5 for about 1300 pounds, retail is 2000 here. Worried that they would take up alot of room, not sure though. Do you think the Spendors are to bright perhaps?

I hate living on the bloody northpole, feels like it atleast. Northern-Norway representing.

A

Anonymous

Are they not quite big physical? How much room do you have around them?

A

Anonymous

I'd go for Spendor A6s (I would say that...) Fanthorpe' got a good deal on at the mo, I got some ex demo in an unopened box for£1500 plus money off for my trade in.

A

Anonymous

Ian64od said:
I'd go for Spendor A6s (I would say that...) Fanthorpe' got a good deal on at the mo, I got some ex demo in an unopened box for£1500 plus money off for my trade in.

If i buy from abroad I have to pay 25% in taxes, and about 100 pounds just to process them into Norway. They would end up quite expensive :cry:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
ThomasJl said:

Was offered the Spendor A5 for about 1300 pounds, retail is 2000 here. Worried that they would take up alot of room, not sure though. Do you think the Spendors are to bright perhaps?

Spendor are the opposite of bright IMO. With the wrong amps/source they can be considered too laidback and boring by some people. I think they are lovely in the right setup (cyrus is good), but I would never choose them for rock/metal.

A

Anonymous

gregvet said:
ThomasJl said:

Spendor are the opposite of bright IMO. With the wrong amps/source they can be considered too laidback and boring by some people. I think they are lovely in the right setup (cyrus is good), but I would never choose them for rock/metal.

Great to know, really like their looks. But I want something that really does this to me while listening -> :dance: . Could not get the word for it.

A

Anonymous

My Spendor/cyrus combo gets my feet tapping every time, I'm a bit old now to do what your emoticon is doing, foot tapping will do me. My Cyrus/Dynaudio combo didn't so much.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to suggest PMC too. They go fantastically with cyrus. You sould be able to get GB1i's or FB1i's ex demo/second hand within budget, and IMO you cant go wrong with them. Of course, if you can stretch to the twenty series then you will have an amazing system that I would be very happy with long term. Best to demo tho because some prefer the sound presentation of the older 'i' series, others the newer 'twenty' series.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
There are reviews of the similarly priced LS50 and B&W's CM5 in this month's Stereophile. They both come out well, and in many ways are similar - just shows what FOTM / good marketing does given the CM5's have been out a fair while. Might be worth considering the CM5's as well though - I'm guessing you stand more chance of a discount on them than the LS50's (which I haven't heard but do want to).

Given your budget (you shouldn't mention £1400, we all assume that's what you'll spend now!) a smaller standmount together with a good sub would be worth considering. If you have the space that is. The usual suspects should be considered; in addition BK seem to be very good value (they used to make the original REL's so know a thing or two). I do tend to bang on about them a bit in this and other forums, rest assured I have no connection with them.

A

Anonymous

gregvet said:
Forgot to suggest PMC too. They go fantastically with cyrus. You sould be able to get GB1i's or FB1i's ex demo/second hand within budget, and IMO you cant go wrong with them. Of course, if you can stretch to the twenty series then you will have an amazing system that I would be very happy with long term. Best to demo tho because some prefer the sound presentation of the older 'i' series, others the newer 'twenty' series.

To bad there really aren`t any PMC speakers second hand in Norway. But Twenty 21 and DB1 is in my budget.

A

Anonymous

philipjohnwright said:
There are reviews of the similarly priced LS50 and B&W's CM5 in this month's Stereophile. They both come out well, and in many ways are similar - just shows what FOTM / good marketing does given the CM5's have been out a fair while. Might be worth considering the CM5's as well though - I'm guessing you stand more chance of a discount on them than the LS50's (which I haven't heard but do want to).

Given your budget (you shouldn't mention £1400, we all assume that's what you'll spend now!) a smaller standmount together with a good sub would be worth considering. If you have the space that is. The usual suspects should be considered; in addition BK seem to be very good value (they used to make the original REL's so know a thing or two). I do tend to bang on about them a bit in this and other forums, rest assured I have no connection with them.

I could proably try the CM5s before deciding on anything else, got a local dealer here that sells them.

Got some space to the sides of the speaker as I`ve placed them one of the longest walls, with nothing else but a door on one of the sides.

At the moment I got a big SVS tube standing here, never used it for music though. Could consider another sub in the future!

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the triple post, but I`ve just found a couple of PMC TB2i Signature second hand. How would it compare to the twenty 21?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
More bass weight and depth than the 21, but more top end clarity, detail and air than the i series original. Sounds like a good candidate for a blind buy if ever I heard one ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts