Speakers for a small room

charlesrichardson

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My room is approx. 21 ft. long, by 10 ft. wide. I currently use PMC twenty .21 on hi fi racks stands. I worry about their stability when my small grandchildren are here and think floor standing speakers would be safer. They need to be smallish, no more than 800mm tall and work well with a Naim Xs amplifier and cd player and be okay for use close to a rear wall, say within 6 inches.

Kudos X2 and Neat Motive SX2 seem to fit the bill sizewise, are there any other suggestions other than Spendor. The only other criteria is that an oak finish is desired.

All suggestions appreciated.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm driving the Neat Motive SX2s with a Nait 5si (and the matching CD5si) and they're a brilliant match. I have them in a small room (about 17m2), 50cm from the back walls and 40cm from the side walls. When I got them I just plonked them near to the back walls (about 25-30cm) and they worked very well, but I find stereo imaging better with the current placement. I have to say I never tried to place them so close to the back wall as you intend to...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Neat Iota Alpha, Neat Motive, Totem Sttaf and Rega RX3 are some that spring to mind.

No idea which if any of these offer oak finish. All have good reviews and none should, in theory be an issue with your amplifier.

The Neats fart out of the bottom, the Rega to the front and the Sttaf out the back.

When I read the OP, I thought of the Neat Iota Alpha that drummerman has already mentioned.

I recal some Rega speakers worked well close to walls, though I've not heard any for a few years, and the Guru junior was great close to walls but seems to lack a uk importer, sadly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If there's a dealer near you, you could try out the Ophidian M Series. They're rear ported, but the design works in such a way that it massively reduces the air flow. They're pretty compact too, and even the floorstander, which I'm guessing is roughly the same price point as the other speakers mentioned, takes up very little space - about the same as the Monitor Audio Radius 270, if anyone is familiar with them.

As with most speakers though, including those designed to work closer to a wall, you'll usually get a better sound with a bit of space.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
You could just put existing on good solid speaker stands with blue tack/black tack and fasten stands to floor. It would then require quiet a knock before they could fall

I've had three kids grow up with standmount speakers in the living room with the only incidents being a poked in metal dome tweeter or two.Really they aren't that stupid to go knocking them over and when toddling,shouldn't really be left in a room on their own anyway....when my kids have their kids...I'll not be changing things around...no way.

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello i know that my suggestion might be a little to tall, coming in at 94,5cm. But they sound fantastic with Naim equipment. Its the Audiovector Qr3. Check them out if possible.

Regards Mick

charlesrichardson said:
My room is approx. 21 ft. long, by 10 ft. wide. I currently use PMC twenty .21 on hi fi racks stands. I worry about their stability when my small grandchildren are here and think floor standing speakers would be safer. They need to be smallish, no more than 800mm tall and work well with a Naim Xs amplifier and cd player and be okay for use close to a rear wall, say within 6 inches.

Kudos X2 and Neat Motive SX2 seem to fit the bill sizewise, are there any other suggestions other than Spendor. The only other criteria is that an oak finish is desired.

All suggestions appreciated.

Neats should be ideal. Also try Totem Arros. They are smaller than the Sttafs, but Arros are so versatile when it comes to positioning.

Perhaps, also, look at the new Dynaudios. I know older Dyns work well with Naim (Contours. They'll be too big).

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised nobody has recommended PMC Twenty5 .23's or the original Twenty .23's given that your current weapon of choice is the Twenty .21? They only blow your ceiling by 10cm but will give you everything you like about the 21's and much, much more. They are front firing with the ATL so I wouldn't have thought you would gave any positioning issues. I had the Twenty .23's in my room while my FACT 12's were on order and they performed just fine about 6 inches clear from the wall. Might be worth an audition, no?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
When my kids were small I had a similar problem but I found a solution that worked very well for our family at very little cost.

It consisted of a large kids fireguard / room divider. around the whole system including the speakers so the kids could not get near any of it .

Something like this one .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabyDan-XXL-Room-Divider-Black/dp/B00JLBIC1S/ref=sr_1_12_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484913274&sr=8-12&keywords=extra+large+fire+guard

Electro said:
When my kids were small I had a similar problem but I found a solution that worked very well for our family at very little cost.

It consisted of a large kids fireguard / room divider. around the whole system including the speakers so the kids could not get near any of it .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabyDan-XXL-Room-Divider-Black/dp/B00JLBIC1S/ref=sr_1_12_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484913274&sr=8-12&keywords=extra+large+fire+guard

Good idea, although barbed-wire is cheaper again but has it's downsides.... :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Electro said:

Good idea, although barbed-wire is cheaper again but has it's downsides....   :)

To add the land mines incase they get through the barb wire.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Electro said:

Good idea, although barbed-wire is cheaper again but has it's downsides.... :)

To add the land mines incase they get through the barb wire.

I did toy with the idea of connecting an electric fence pulse to the kiddy fence but the wife said she would glue a certain part of my anatomy to it if I did. *shok*

I decided against it just in case it might have caused some RFI problems. *biggrin* *wink*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts