Speakers for 45sqm Front Room?

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Not wishing to put a potential hex on my house buying, but I today had an offer accepted on a property with a pretty substantial front room/kitchen, 45sqm in fact, and of course my instant thought was, "great, what hifi could I put in it?".

Currently running the original Epos M12 via Marantz cd6000ose/Squeezebox Touch, rDAC and NAD pre/power (1000s and 214 respectively). Am thinking it unlikely they will be able to fill the space as they currently do in my bedroom, so what to get?

Assume (possibly wrongly) that I will need to be thinking along the floorstander route for such a space (to give an idea, wood floored and sparcely populated with furniture and rugs in first instance, not ideal I know), but which?

Budget would need to be in and around £500 or so (happy to look ex demo or s/h) due to me breaking my bank via the deposit etc. I will aim to test if/when moved in, but some initial thoughts would be appreciated (listening is anything from Neko Case to Burial and Mogwai).

Thanks for any help

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Stanley, I totally agree about small speakers like the Epos M12's being fine for a bedroom but not having the room filling dynamic ease for a 45sqm room.

For my 40sqm rooms I use Bozak Symphonys and a scruffy pair of EV Sentry III's. I paid £500 for these speakers. There are a few others to look out for. Maybe a scruffy pair of Altec Model 19's, or Klipsch Scalas. Maybe something like a pair of Celestion Ditton 66's or Goodmans Magisters or Klipsch Cornwalls. Well engineered large vintage speakers can be amazingly cheap for the sound quality on offer because most people want smaller speakers.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for thoughts, will take a look out there and see what those suggested are like/going for etc. Of the newer breed was considering stretching to the Epic 5 (staying with the Epos) or the Tannoy DC6T, they do look very nice

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Would anyone here with Monitor Audio RX6's or Mission MX5's or Epos Epic 5's or Tannoy DC6T's like to get together with myself to compare them against my EV Sentry III's? Tell you what, I'll even use my Sentrys with my £99 Creek CAS4040 integrated amp, whilst you can use your MA's or Missions or Epos or Tannoys with any amplifier you wish.

T

the record spot

Either the Q Acoustics 2050i, or the earlier 1050i. Fabulous for the money and great dynamics to boot.
small-logo.png

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Would anyone here with Monitor Audio RX6's or Mission MX5's or Epos Epic 5's or Tannoy DC6T's like to get together with myself to compare them against my EV Sentry III's? Tell you what, I'll even use my Sentrys with my £99 Creek CAS4040 integrated amp, whilst you can use your MA's or Missions or Epos or Tannoys with any amplifier you wish.

Not really. Just trying to offer a contemporary alternative. From your original list, you can get one (note, one ;) ) Celestion Ditton 66 for £400 on eBay: here.

stanleyk said:
Not wishing to put a potential hex on my house buying, but I today had an offer accepted on a property with a pretty substantial front room/kitchen, 45sqm in fact, and of course my instant thought was, "great, what hifi could I put in it?".

Currently running the original Epos M12 via Marantz cd6000ose/Squeezebox Touch, rDAC and NAD pre/power (1000s and 214 respectively). Am thinking it unlikely they will be able to fill the space as they currently do in my bedroom, so what to get?

Assume (possibly wrongly) that I will need to be thinking along the floorstander route for such a space (to give an idea, wood floored and sparcely populated with furniture and rugs in first instance, not ideal I know), but which?

Budget would need to be in and around £500 or so (happy to look ex demo or s/h) due to me breaking my bank via the deposit etc. I will aim to test if/when moved in, but some initial thoughts would be appreciated (listening is anything from Neko Case to Burial and Mogwai).

Thanks for any help

Ordinarily I'd say RX6 as well, but given you have hard flooring and a large space to fill, these may fit the criteria.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/mordaunt-short/aviano-8/mord-aviano-8-dk-wal

And they are within budget. Cha-ching!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
lindsayt said:

Not really. Just trying to offer a contemporary alternative. From your original list, you can get one (note, one ;) ) Celestion Ditton 66 for £400 on eBay: here.

There are also two - note two - Celestion 66's for sale on UK eBay with a £500 bid on them and 11 hours to go. They may sell for much more or they may sell for pretty close to £500. Usual eBay buying advice applies: don't overbid as another pair will come along sooner or later for about £500. My list wasn't intended to be at all exhaustive but was merely an indication of the sort of speakers the OP should be looking for if he wants the best overall sound for his large room for his budget.

It's funny. I've made several offers to get together with other members of this forum to compare various hi-fi components. As I think it's better to show than to tell. Nobody has taken me up on my offers - so far.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Lindsay, i've considered taking you up on your offer in the past, i seem to remember you don't live that far from me. ultimately though, i have zero interest in hifi as a hobby and would only be interested if i thought i could seriously better the sound i have at home, which i don't - and your kit would be far too big to even consider putting it in my lounge. i also think from reading posts on here, that something that looks good is just as important as something that sounds good, to most people. just a couple of reasons why no-one has jumped at your offer, maybe.

ps. re your earlier question to me about exhibiting at scalford (on another thread), when the time comes, if i can get a decent sized room, i am considering giving it a go.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Am wondering if I could possibly get away without the floorstander approach, they aint winning the heart of the other person involved with the house move!

Would any book shelf on stands be able to 'fill' such a room (not like I am wanting concert level volumes), was thinking bookshelf plus sub may do it? For some reason thought of sub doesn't exactly fill me with joy, but if AVI do it then.....?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Stanley, I totally agree about small speakers like the Epos M12's being fine for a bedroom but not having the room filling dynamic ease for a 45sqm room.

For my 40sqm rooms I use Bozak Symphonys and a scruffy pair of EV Sentry III's. I paid £500 for these speakers. There are a few others to look out for. Maybe a scruffy pair of Altec Model 19's, or Klipsch Scalas. Maybe something like a pair of Celestion Ditton 66's or Goodmans Magisters or Klipsch Cornwalls. Well engineered large vintage speakers can be amazingly cheap for the sound quality on offer because most people want smaller speakers.

That would be my idea, get something older, larger and much better VFM, especially with that sized room to fill. The Magisters tend to go for around £200ish iirc.

Alternatively, something like the Tannoy Jupiter S / DC2000 can be had for under £200, and should fill a decent room.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
There are also two - note two - Celestion 66's for sale on UK eBay with a £500 bid on them and 11 hours to go. They may sell for much more or they may sell for pretty close to £500. Usual eBay buying advice applies: don't overbid as another pair will come along sooner or later for about £500.

Bidding at £670 so far with three days to go yet.

Bidding completed at £896

Bidding completed at £1182

A single 66 speaker being offered for a minimum bid of £400

When do you think that £500 pair will come along?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Lindsay did post ,sooner or later for the 500 quid pair . Also ,in fairness , he also typed that they could go for a whole lot more than 500 quid.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
lindsayt said:
There are also two - note two - Celestion 66's for sale on UK eBay with a £500 bid on them and 11 hours to go. They may sell for much more or they may sell for pretty close to £500. Usual eBay buying advice applies: don't overbid as another pair will come along sooner or later for about £500.

The pair I was looking at sold for £871. Just wait for a fully working pair with chipped / stained cabinets and you'll get them for nearer to £500. There was also a pair sold recently on German eBay for £671 in "top zustand" condition.

Or alternatively: OK you win that one Chebby. Forget my suggestion for Celestion 66's. Buy some other proper-sized, well-engineered speakers for £500 instead.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Some epos m22 available secondhand, any thoughts on if could cope with space or just general thoughts on the speakers? they are the original, not I versions

Thanks

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
lindsayt said:

Today.

A £300 pair of Celestion Ditton 66's has come along:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestion-66-Ditton-Vintage-Studio-Monitors-Pair-Rare-/130776465449?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e72e28029

If you're patient and not fussy about cosmetics the right hi-fi equipment at the right price will come along sooner or later.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
BenLaw said:
lindsayt said:

There are also two - note two - Celestion 66's for sale on UK eBay with a £500 bid on them and 11 hours to go. They may sell for much more or they may sell for pretty close to £500. Usual eBay buying advice applies: don't overbid as another pair will come along sooner or later for about £500. My list wasn't intended to be at all exhaustive but was merely an indication of the sort of speakers the OP should be looking for if he wants the best overall sound for his large room for his budget.

It's funny. I've made several offers to get together with other members of this forum to compare various hi-fi components. As I think it's better to show than to tell. Nobody has taken me up on my offers - so far.

Do you live anywere near Norwich and what sort of music can we bring / listen to

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I live in West Yorkshire. You can bring any sort of music and I'll bring some too. I should be at Scalford Hall on 2nd and 3rd of March 2013 along with about 50 other Wigwammers with their systems. That's not too far from Norwich.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I live in West Yorkshire. You can bring any sort of music and I'll bring some too. I should be at Scalford Hall on 2nd and 3rd of March 2013 along with about 50 other Wigwammers with their systems. That's not too far from Norwich.

Yup should be good fun again this year, bringing my new maggies along.

I really dont think any of the modern floorstanders mentioned will really work in such a big room.

With that budget I would be looking at older Tannoys, you might even bag some Cheviots for that price if you are lucky!

6514893711_863da037c7_o.jpg

Tannoy DC3000 or Jupiter S are worth a look, as are the older Devon and T-Series Tannoys.

Kord Tornado, if you can find a pair.

Or some full range horns like some Jericho's:

6514893911_4ea5375a08_o.jpg

There are some '66s FS here-

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?76549-Interest-check-celestion-ditton-66

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts