Question Speakers: DAC and AMPS: Input Voltage, Output voltage, Sensitivity

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I entered the hifi world when I got my first Planar headphones and DAC/AMP. HifiMAN Sundara and iFi ZEN DAC and CAN.

I Assumed it was enough just to buy the things that were recommended or first hand experience.

The Hifi subject has for me become more advance than expected. I see all sorts of technical terms etc.

So I figured that I need to learn more about some terms, because this one makes me worried a little.

Question?:
I have a set of speakers/active that has a Input sensitivity 1V. But I read all these dac/amps/preamp that has output voltage much greater than 1V.

Can somebody explain and give me more indsight on this?

I spoke with a couple of people and they say it does not matter, just plug and play they say

Last edited:
I have a set of speakers/active that has a Input sensitivity 1V. But I read all these dac/amps/preamp that has output voltage much greater than 1V.

Dude you can still use your SCM40A's with pre amplification outputting more than 1V. As I've said before we've used the following components with SCM40A's without any issues -

Kinki Studio Audio EX-P27 outputs up to 3.6V

Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition outputs up to 4.4V

dCS Bartók outputs up to 6V

EMM Labs/Meitner Audio MA3 outputs up to 4.36V

ATC SCA2 outputs up to 17V

Reactions: CleanCopperz

shadders

I just dont understand why they mention 1V if you can go way up.

is it minimum 1V? I dont get it
Hi,
I think you need to contact ATC. Their documentation on the website states 112dB SPL and input sensitivity of 1volt.

Is that 1volt RMS or peak ?
Does that 1volt mean the SPL is 112dB or that a more modest 90dB for example ?

It is not clear, and so people who have used the speakers may have driven them with a voltage greater than 1volt and SPL is lower than 112dB, and are reporting that experience here.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
I think you need to contact ATC. Their documentation on the website states 112dB SPL and input sensitivity of 1volt.

Is that 1volt RMS or peak ?
Does that 1volt mean the SPL is 112dB or that a more modest 90dB for example ?

It is not clear, and so people who have used the speakers may have driven them with a voltage greater than 1volt and SPL is lower than 112dB, and are reporting that experience here.

Regards,
Shadders.
Good point. I’d never really thought about it, but it would seem logical if the 1 volt was a similar principle to the 1watt/8ohm standard for 85dB for example.

On ATC power amp P1 they say input sensitivity 2volts = 150 watts, so 1 volt would be half power. But the spec is identical on the 300watt P2, so full power would need 4 volts input presumably?

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
[On ATC power amp P1 they say input sensitivity 2volts = 150 watts, so 1 volt would be half power. But the spec is identical on the 300watt P2, so full power would need 4 volts input presumably?
[/QUOTE]

If by the spec being identical you mean that its input sensitivity is 2 volts, then this will be for full output, i.e. 300 watts.

If by the spec being identical you mean that its input sensitivity is 2 volts, then this will be for full output, i.e. 300 watts.

No that’s the thing. It’s still 2volts for 150watts. That’s sensible because if you swapped then everything would be set the same. But the P2 has twice the maximum output (which is only 3dB after all!)
My point being that it’ll need 4 volts for full output.

Last edited:

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
No that’s the thing. It’s still 2volts for 150watts. That’s sensible because if you swapped then everything would be set the same. But the P2 has twice the maximum output (which is only 3dB after all!)
My point being that it’ll need 4 volts for full output.

Sorry, but I disagree. If the specification is that its sensitivity is 2 volts then this will provide the maximum output that the amplifier is capable of - 150W for the P1 and 300W for the P2

Gray

I just dont understand why they mention 1V if you can go way up.

is it minimum 1V? I dont get it
You can think of it as a minimum - they're saying it's the minimum amount required to achieve their rated output (that's why they mention 1v.)
If you put less than 1v in, whatever you do with the volume control, you won't reach the rated output.
But you won't exceed the rated output by putting more than 1v in.

HOWEVER 🙄 See post #17 🤪

Last edited:

Gray

You can think of it as a minimum - they're saying it's the minimum amount required to achieve their rated output (that's why they mention 1v.)
If you put less than 1v in, whatever you do with the volume control, you won't reach the rated output.
But you won't exceed the rated output by putting more than 1v in.
BUT - you need to be sure that they are actually referencing full output - because in the ATC case, for example, they're not.

I can't understand why you're confused 😆🤪😆

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
No, that’s not what I said. Read it yourself…

The P1 is a click away. They are BOTH 2v = 150 watts

My apologies. You're right and I have now read the specs. The strange thing is that they quote the sensitivity for 150W output, although the P2 has a maximum output of 300W, when usually the sensitivity is quoted for what will drive them to full output which is what I based my comments on.

Reactions: Gray
My apologies. You're right and I have now read the specs. The strange thing is that they quote the sensitivity for 150W output, although the P2 has a maximum output of 300W, when usually the sensitivity is quoted for what will drive them to full output which is what I based my comments on.
No problem. Now we just have to fathom what the complete spec is on the active speakers, as asked by the OP!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts