Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi just joined and after some advice as thinking of upgrading my speakers. My system consists of marantz CD 63 se , marantz pm 5004 amp which are bi wiring a pair of mordaunt short ms10i pearls. Ive had these speakers for about 14 or more years and love them . . . . . . .they are clear crisp fast and punchy but just wondering if I could get a little more. Ideally I'd like something with the same qualitys just a step better. Im a bit out of touch with all the latest models so any opinions welcomed thanks .

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
As you say you like your speakers, in fact I remember many years ago having a pair of these and they are decent speakers, I think for £300 you’ll be making a sideways step and a dent in your wallet. Unless of course you’re happy to buy used? You could perhaps get some old PMC DB1s for around that price, from memory a tad more detail but you’ll really find the upgrade more in their musicality and a bit more natural sounding.

What kind of sound are you after, what size is your room and what music do you listen to?

So £300 may yield an upgrade if you buy used, if you’re wanting new then I’d suggest you just stick with what you have or up the budget for till you can get something along the lines of the Kef LS50.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Like you I had standmount speakers for 14 years which I always enjoyed (Mission 780's). I had a couple of floorstanders on home demo back a year or two ago and didn't feel that spending circa £800 was worth the improvements. You could take a chance on second hand but the risk is you cannot demo beforehand. I would suggest if you can, to listen to some speakers and ideally demo at home,

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your time to reply. I see what your saying . . . .Not spending much more so probably won't get much better pair of speakers. I had a pair of Castle kendals they were no way near as crisp as the pearls. They are awesome speakers sometimes wish they had a bit more depth of bass. I like listening to anything which sounds open and crisp. Ben howard,Chris rea,dire straits,cold play bit of anything really. I can't aim to high as it's only in my front room. One either side of the fire place with my armchair in the centre of them . The atacama stands are sand filled and the pearls are sat on blue tac. They sound great just had them for years so thought I'd test the water. Thanks

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I think there are some other forum members who have had these speakers previously - hang around and you may get some further thoughts.

Do try to have a listen to some new speakers - start with some £300 ish speakers and see how they compare. There's always the option of adding a sub (eg BK subs - Gemini & XXLS200) but they do need some careful setting up and can be affected by room dynamics. You may find something you like, or decide to add to your budget, but either way I think a home demo is important to ensure they work in your room either side of the fireplace.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree for £300 I don't think you will get much better new than you already have, maybe the Dali Zensor 3s maybe worth a listen. You maybe better changing your amp. first for a used one. Or save your money up and change both, you could get used active speakers for about £700 which would be a big step up from your current set up.

I had the Misson 780 SE before for 20 years, was rather disappointed by some modern speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts