Speaker upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a Cyrus Dac-XP with running Mono X's and I would say the weak point is the power amps. The pre-amp is not without problems - the optical inputs are too close together compromising your choice of optical cables, but the sound quality is sensational. I have tried the pre amp with the new mono 500s and they are a significant step up (as you would expect given their price) and I have also bi-amped my Wilson Benesch Curves using the mono x and mono 500s with very pleasing results. I would love to hear my Dac-XP running a true high end power amp because the Curves will make the most of the available power and the pre-amp is totally transparent adding nothing of it's own character.

The main point of this reply was to make sure you don't over look Wilson Benesch products like the Square 1 and Square 2.

Also I have found that my Cyrus kit responds very well indeed to high end cables (Chord Indigo balanced and digital interconnects and Signature Speaker cable) and mains cables (VdH Mainserver).

As they say "The World is your lobster!"

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Had a half day at work today.

Popped into a local hi-fi store and ended up trying some speakers.

Tried the Spendor A3 and A6. They did not have the A5 in at the time.

Also demoed the PMC GB1i.

They used a £600.00ish Arcam CD player and £1400.00ish Arcam integrated amp, not sure of exact models.

The Spedor's sounded great! The PMC's were good but too analytical for me, reminded me of the sound I currently get from my system but more detailed and a bit smoother.

The Spendor's were smooth and warm but had detail without the harshness that I have from my setup.

I still need to try my 'new' NAD 1240 pre amp when I get my Cyrus kit back from service.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
That may do as a qck 'info gathering' exercise, but the Arcam system isn't really representative of your system. You really need to hear these speakers on the end of Cyrus, as it has a more forward sound than Arcam does.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Good point...

I will definitely need to spend some time with these and other speakers on my or similar (Cyrus) kit.

I might need to take a 'day' off work to do some proper demo's!

I work Saturday's so have to take a week day off. (Anyone got a violin?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts