Speaker upgrade

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I made a post about upgrading my speakers but I think it was too long! This is a simplified version, I hope!

I have Cyrus Kit about 8 years old.

Would Spendor A5 speakers be MUCH better than Mission 782 or Von Schweikert vr1 speakers?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Which speaker is best for your system? Only you can decide which speaker you prefer the sound of, but Cyrus system purchases with speakers are usually tend to be Spendor and ProAc, with a bit of KEF Reference too.

First of all, we need to determine your system's capabilities - what Cyrus components do you have?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ah, sorry - I read your question, and clicked reply without looking at your sig!!

Well you have some decent power amps there, so they shouldn't hold you back. In fact, it seems a nicely balanced system.

I can't really comment how the other speakers compare to your speakers as I've never heard them, but would recommend you try the ProAc Studio D140.2 (or even the Response D18 if you can stretch that far), or the KEF Q900, depending on what sort of qualities you're after. You could also try the B&W CM8, but I don't feel they have the star qualities of the others I've mentioned.

FennerMachine:
I made a post about upgrading my speakers but I think it was too long! This is a simplified version, I hope!

I have Cyrus Kit about 8 years old.

Would Spendor A5 speakers be MUCH better than Mission 782 or Von Schweikert vr1 speakers?

Hi FennerMachine

What are you hoping to gain/alter with a change of speakers please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My room is 3.3M x 2.8M so quite small.

Need to tone down the brightness (the Cyrus kit is quite bright).

Realism/naturalness/faithfulness to the recording. Not too clinical, the VR1's are a bit clinical.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the Spendor A5's will be the way to go then - fantastic midrange, and they'll definitely tame the treble edge that you're experiencing, but I'd try the ProAc's I mentioned earlier as they tend to present a sweeter HF than most at their price point.

If you want to stick to standmounts, the Response D2's will be the equivalent of the D18's.

FennerMachine:

Realism/naturalness/faithfulness to the recording. Not too clinical, the VR1's are a bit clinical.

Given your size of room I'd be looking at auditioning standmounted speakers, such as Dynaudio, PMC DB1is and possibly Spendor SA-1s.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd suggest adding the Harbeth P3ESR to your list - I used to use mine in a room similar in size to yours and they were (and still are!) superb. Not too many dealers though so auditioning may be a struggle depending on where you live.

A

Anonymous

Dont discount the B&W CM5's; on decent stands they're superb and IMO work very well with the Cyrus gear
emotion-1.gif

I do agree that the PMC DB1i's would be worth looking at too; great little speakers and really sing...

What about some small floorstanders though; i.e. Neat Motive 2's?

FennerMachine:

Hi FennerMachine

Thanks for your reply.

Rather then looking at alternative speakers in the first instance i will highly recommend looking changing the pre amp as i feel this is where the weak point is in your system.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.

What pre amp would you recommend?

I am currently having my pre and power amps seviced my Cyrus.

Would an upgrade of the pre amp have been a good idea or should I change make and sell the aCA7.5?

FennerMachine:
Interesting.

What pre amp would you recommend?

I am currently having my pre and power amps seviced my Cyrus.

Would an upgrade of the pre amp have been a good idea or should I change make and sell the aCA7.5?

Hi FennerMachine

I'll highly recommend you look at a non Cyrus pre amp as ime Cyrus pre amps are not up to getting the
best performance from their power amplifiers in particular. If you are happy to consider buying used/discontinued items then from what you have descried a pre amplifier such as the superb NAD C160 is definitely worth serious consideration. The C160 with its easier loading for source
components will enable your cd player to 'see' the input stages of the C160 and 'breathe' more effectively. Thereafter the C160's low distortion transparent class A circuitry and robust output stages will ensure your Cyrus power
amps are gripped/driven far more effectively. The overall result will be a presentation which is smoother and more potent together
with greater weight, resolution, drive, scale, dynamics, depth, control and 'feel'.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't mind second hand but what about from the current crop of new pre amps?

Although the DACxp+ might be good I don't really want to spend that much money!

£1500.00 max budget.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As good as the PreXPD is, I'm afraid the DACxp+ is in another league. If people are using Mono X's and high quality speakers (about £2k and up, but not limited to), the DACxp+ is a 'must audition'. it's an amazingly open and derailed bit of kit. At our open evening we were running Cyrus Mono X300's through KEF Reference 207/2's - a very tight, dynamic, and revealing combo - basically, stick a substandard pre and source on the front and you're going to know about it. The DACxp+ being fed by Cyrus' own transport and digitally from a Sonos ZP90 produced some stunning results. No part of the system was being held back - that's how good the DACxp+ is. I've used one at home for a few years now.

To get the best out of any product its a case of balancing the system. In your system datay, the PreXPD QX will fit perfectly.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:As good as the PreXPD is, I'm afraid the DACxp+ is in another league. If people are using Mono X's and high quality speakers (about £2k and up, but not limited to), the DACxp+ is a 'must audition'. it's an amazingly open and derailed bit of kit. At our open evening we were running Cyrus Mono X300's through KEF Reference 207/2's - a very tight, dynamic, and revealing combo - basically, stick a substandard pre and source on the front and you're going to know about it. The DACxp+ being fed by Cyrus' own transport and digitally from a Sonos ZP90 produced some stunning results. No part of the system was being held back - that's how good the DACxp+ is. I've used one at home for a few years now.

To get the best out of any product its a case of balancing the system. In your system datay, the PreXPD QX will fit perfectly.

Cheers David, good to know (obvious as it may seem! PreXP + X Power should = good combination really, at least you're hearing what they intended in Huntingdon). Now for my move to a larger flat and an audition of some SCM19s...trip to Coventry will be in order when that happens
emotion-5.gif

FennerMachine:
Don't mind second hand but what about from the current crop of new pre amps?

Although the DACxp+ might be good I don't really want to spend that much money!

£1500.00 max budget.

Hi FennerMachine

It is great that you don't mind considering used components as you don't need spend anywhere near £1500. I'll advise you to save your money and consider pre amplifiers such as the NAD C160 or even Rotel's RC995/RC1090 pre amplifiers for use with your Cyrus electronics as these pre amplifiers will do a far better job by enabling your source component(s) to 'breathe' easier and exert far greater grip/drive on your power amps. These three pre amplifiers should also not really cost more then a few hundred £'s.

Price, time and a badge do not always reflect quality or compatability.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rick, haven't found any for sale yet, I will keep looking every few days.

Found a NAD 1240 pre amp for sale, late 80's early 90's I think.

If I can get the 1240 cheap enough I might give it a go just as an experiment, should be interesting - could always sell it on again!

I will still try a few combo's of other components just for peace of mind that I'm getting the best from my existing kit.

FennerMachine:
Thanks MUSICRAFT, haven't found any for sale yet, I will keep looking every few days.

Found a NAD 1240 pre amp for sale, late 80's early 90's I think.

If I can get the 1240 cheap enough I might give it a go just as an experiment, should be interesting - could always sell it on again!

I will still try a few combo's of other components just for peace of mind that I'm getting the best from my existing kit.

Hi FennerMachine

Your welcome.

Fair enough.

I've not heard the NAD 1240 pre amp although one of my clients did something similar with his Cyrus set up and by subsituting his Cyrus pre amp for an old NAD pre amp (it might have been the 1240) to use with the Mono X's until he found a C160. He preferred the old NAD pre amp to the Cyrus pre amplifier and he was even more impresed when he finally got a hold of a C160
emotion-1.gif
He happily used the C160 with his Mono X's until he bought ATC's SCA2
emotion-2.gif

Btw, with used/discontined/older equipment it might be worth having the component(s) checked out by someone qualified to ensure everything is in full working order.

Keep it simple and your components/system will breathe
emotion-21.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts