Speaker Upgrade

SPAZTICUS

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
My current system comprises Pioneer N50A (with TIDAL), Naim XS2, Flatcap XS and Dynaudio DM2/7

Is it worth upgrading the speakers? I have about £1000 in my budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:
My current system comprises Pioneer N50A (with TIDAL), Naim XS2, Flatcap XS and Dynaudio  DM2/7

Is it worth upgrading the speakers? I have about £1000 in my budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You wont get much better than dm2/7s but if you went up to 1200 then you could get atc scm11 that are much better but your amp might not be up to it. Just my opinion

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:
My current system comprises Pioneer N50A (with TIDAL), Naim XS2, Flatcap XS and Dynaudio DM2/7

Sell the Dynaudios and the Naims and by a pair of ADM 10s.

Not only are they exceptional speakers for the price but you can post about them on here and have hours of fun being insulted by the resident trolls.

That is actually a serious suggestion by the way, or you could go for a sort of 'half way house' and replace the passive speakers with a pair of active dDynaudios, maybe the new Lyd 7. More or less in budget.

SPAZTICUS

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
The ATC speakers are power hungry and I am not sure my XS2 rated at 70 watts would be up to the task. Has anybody experience of this ? If I went active would n't I have to ditch the Naim? I am loath to do this as I like the Naim sound.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:
The ATC speakers are power hungry and I am not sure my XS2 rated at 70 watts would be up to the task. Has anybody experience of this ? If I went active would n't I have to ditch the Naim? I am loath to do this as I like the Naim sound.

Yes sell the lot and get Avi dm10s much better by long way

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:

Use the Naim as a pre-amp to drive active Dynaudios. Similar to your current speakers but better in all the areas you mention. Clarity and resolution are practically the definining characteristics of good active speakers. Look at these, Lyd 7...

http://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/lyd/lyd-7/

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
great advice and way to go for you.. take your naim with you, visit pro audio shop and have a listen, you won't be disappointed

SPAZTICUS

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps I should ditch the Dynaudios and buy a pair of Proac 118s, although this is above my £1000 budget. Would this be a significant upgrade ? I think Harbeths would be another sideways move.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:
Perhaps a second hand Nap 250 would solve my upgrading path to better speakers. Any comments?

It will certainly move you forward but very much along the same path that you are actually already going.

Adding the 250 and then better speakers is the traditional way forward and will, pretty much, give you more of the same. Arguably these are just the first steps in your progression, after these upgrades you will want to get a 'proper' pre-amp, maybe change the power supply, improve the streamer, then better speakers (again) as the 'effect' of the improvement wears off.

This is the normal upgrade path, and yes the sound quality will get better each time, but at no point will you make the kind of changes that delivers the contol, clarity and presence that will make a real difference to your listening experience.

As always, this is your money so your decisions, lots of people like the step by step upgrade approach, others do not, up to you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:
How much power do the Proacs require. Would these be a significant upgrade to my Dyns?

Proacs are designed with Valve amps in mind and the 118 is no different.....so not hard to drive, with amps between 15-150W.

You have to like the match with your amp for the upgrade to be worthwhile.

Hi SPAZTICUS

curved SCM11 monitors will give greater resolving power and the Nait XS2 is perfectly capable of driving the 11's too. Having said this i found DM 2/7's to be a great match with a SuperNait 2 i had at home a few months ago.

If possible also try these two options.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi SPAZTICUS

curved SCM11 monitors will give greater resolving power and the Nait XS2 is perfectly capable of driving the 11's too. Having said this i found DM 2/7's to be a great match with a SuperNait 2 i had at home a few months ago.

If possible also try these two options.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That might well be sensible advice.

In an ideal world you would go and visit them and get them to 'prove' what they are saying, by demonstration.

I assume you are not in a position to do that?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
SPAZTICUS said:
Perhaps I should ditch the Dynaudios and buy a pair of Proac 118s, although this is above my £1000 budget. Would this be a significant upgrade ? I think Harbeths would be another sideways move.

Sideways move? not at all... as with all these suggestions, the only way to find out is to get out there and do some listening, or home demo if possible.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

SPAZTICUS

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I can't audition because of my disability and home demos are not possible, therefore i have to rely on reviews and this forum to form an opinion.

I am tempted to go with the ATCs if they significantly improve on my DMs , but I still remain open to suggestions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you are buying blind, can you give:

1. A detailed description of how you like your music to sound. ie. Smooth, musical and refined (more organic) / Forward, clean and precise (more analytical) / Bold and in your face (more exciting).

2. What do you like about your system at the moment and what do you not like about it?

3. What sort of music do you listen to?

4. Any speakers you have heard before and enjoyed with Naim?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts