Speaker upgrade from Monitor Audio S6

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers from my Monitor Audio S6's. Prefer floor standers in roughly the same price range as the Monitor Audio RX6. Don't have much opportunity to listen to lots of speakers in this neck of the woods. The only speakers I have listened to at a proper demo was the B&W CM7 and although very good, didn't offer a significant upgrade in sound quality to what I already have. Although most of the brands available in the UK are also available here, demoing them is near impossible as they are usually not available for demo or are poorly set up. Can forum members please suggest speakers that would bring about a significant improvement. Rest of system is Unison Research Unico, Linn/Rega/Ortofon 2M Red, Nad 515BEE. I mainly listen to vinyl and have a wide range of musical genres in my collection.

A

Anonymous

For that budget the M/A RX6's are probably the best you can get, IMO, brand new however the B&W 684's and QUAD 22L2's are worth listening too as well. Both brilliant speakers

Are you dead set on floorstanders as there are some very good standmount speakers in that range and slightly under as well (M/A RX2's, Dynaudio DM2/6's and 2/7's, PMC DB1i's, Neat Motive 1's etc...)

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions hifilover 1979. Unfortunately the Dynaudios are very expensive in this country. Even the smallest DM 2/6's with decent stands costs way over the MA RX6's. I don't think the PMC's and Neat Motives are available either. I will have a listen to the MA RX6's but I seriously doubt that they would be much of an improvement over the S6's.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks PP. Unfortunately it seems the seller doesn't ship to South Africa and even if he did the costs would be very high. Must say those PMC's really look the business! :cry:

A

Anonymous

The PMC's would have been a good upgrade; fantastic speakers but the GB1i's are just that bit better (but way over your budget)

You'd be surprised at how much the M/A RX6's will sound better than your S6's. The RX6's are where Monitor Audio REALLY got it right IMO. Fantastic overall soundstage; less of the high harshness that the RS6's sometimes came out with etc...

Have a listen to them
smiley-wink.gif

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Your suggestions are much appreciated PP, but the problem I have in buying from eBay is that I would not be able to listen before buying and if it turns out that I don't like it my system then I would have a serious problem.

Sabby said:
Your suggestions are much appreciated PP, but the problem I have in buying from eBay is that I would not be able to listen before buying and if it turns out that I don't like it my system then I would have a serious problem.

I'm not familiar with products and prices in S. Africa. If you're reluctant then take hi-filover's advice and listen to RX6. I've not heard them but the S6 were a very good speaker. I think for your budget you'll struggle.

BTW, the last link with Sevenoaks do give a 28 day returns policy. Given that the Xones retailed originally for about £1700, even if you end up spending £800 in total, will still be a really good deal.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Will definitely give the RX6 a listen. I sent an email to Sevenoaks requesting shipping costs so keeping my fingers crossed that it will not be too expensive. I might take a chance with the Xones after all if it's within budget. After all, a speaker originally retailing for that kind of money should surely be better than the MA S6.

A

Anonymous

Sabby said:
Will definitely give the RX6 a listen. I sent an email to Sevenoaks requesting shipping costs so keeping my fingers crossed that it will not be too expensive. I might take a chance with the Xones after all if it's within budget. After all, a speaker originally retailing for that kind of money should surely be better than the MA S6.

Dont take that as gospel; I've found that a lot of speakers I've listened to up to and around £2.5k UK sterling havent always been better than speakers further down the price scale

For me the M/A RX6's can hold their own VERY well indeed with a lot more expensive speakers!

The Leema's are good speakers but for me, they're not better than the RX6's. They're very good but they wouldnt do for my taste in music etc...

Demo's are a must, more so when it comes to spending that amount on speakers etc... The M/A S6's were and still are good but for me, the RX6's are better, much better!

hifilover1979 said:
Sabby said:

Dont take that as gospel; I've found that a lot of speakers I've listened to up to and around £2.5k UK sterling havent always been better than speakers further down the price scale

For me the M/A RX6's can hold their own VERY well indeed with a lot more expensive speakers!

The Leema's are good speakers but for me, they're not better than the RX6's. They're very good but they wouldnt do for my taste in music etc...

Demo's are a must, more so when it comes to spending that amount on speakers etc... The M/A S6's were and still are good but for me, the RX6's are better, much better!

With OPs amp, which is fairly rich in character, the Leemas could be the ideal answer. Plus their immensely easy to place and throw tons of detail out.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
Sabby said:

I would tend to agree with you about more expensive not necessarily being better especially as I would not be able to demo the Leema's against the RX6's. I will troll the web and see if there are any reviews on the Leema and maybe getter a better picture of it's capabilities.

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I know all rooms are different and the electronics make a difference, but I had a pair of RS6 and now have the Leema Xone's.

I have also had spendor s3e, Dynaudio 52's, and Epos M16 speakers to name a few. All were good in their own way but the Xone's are in a different league.

The Leema's in my oppinoin are way better than any speaker I have owned and my search for speakers in now over.

Well worth a try at the current price.

Sabby said:
hifilover1979 said:
Sabby said:

I would tend to agree with you about more expensive not necessarily being better especially as I would not be able to demo the Leema's against the RX6's. I will troll the web and see if there are any reviews on the Leema and maybe getter a better picture of it's capabilities.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-xone

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again to all the forum members who have submitted their suggestions, much appreciated. I have so far read two reviews from British mags, including the one in WHF and the one weakness highlighted by both reviews was a lack of bass weight. I suppose one can't really expect ground shaking bass from a 4" driver and using a subwoofer might help overcome this deficiency. Adding a subwoofer also has it's own problems so I'm not totally convinced that these speakers would be what I am looking for. I want to thank CnoEvil for drawing my attention to Rega speakers, they are available here and I will definitely also try and give them a listen.

Edit: I am of course referring to the Leema.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Once again my thanks to all the forums members who so kindly offered suggestions for a speaker upgrade, much appreciated. I have read a couple of reviews of the Leema, including the one in WHF and the general consensus seems to indicate that while it is agile and very detailed it lacks in bass power and weight. For my musical tastes this shortcoming would be a serious drawback as I like a speaker with some bass grunt. It all boils down to personal preferences where some would prefer the speed and detail this speaker offers over it's lack of outright bass weight.

I would like to thank CnoEvil for bringing my attention to the Rega speakers and as these are avilable here I will also try and give them a listen.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
I would like to thank CnoEvil for bringing my attention to the Rega speakers and as these are avilable here I will also try and give them a listen.

No problem. They are great speakers and I hope they turn out to be what you're after.

A

Anonymous

The Rega speakers are superb; I personally love the RS5's BUT they dont have the all out bass power & depth/punch that the Monitor Audio RX6's can provide; that's why I ended up with them when I have my NAD C355BEE amp and Rega Apollo CDP earlier on last year

The RS5's are gorgeous speakers and suit the Rega and Arcam electronics well IMO but the RX6's are in a different league when it comes to house rumbling bass
smiley-wink.gif
In saying that though it's not poor bass; it's very deep, taut and punchy bass that gels superbly with the midrange and treble. A must for my taste in music (House, Electronica etc...)

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
So far I've got 2 speakers on my must audition list, the MA RX6 and the Rega RS5. Any others I should include?

Just received the quote from Sevenoaks for shipping the Leema Xone, a whopping £651.91 which is way more that the cost of the speakers themselves. So the Leema Xone's are definitely out unless I move to the UK :roll:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say this mate, but the speakers you want to replace are possibly better than the ones you want to replace them with, in the Rx6s. Check out this review from a journo who went on to much greater things: MA S6 review. Also more expensive too, given the 9 years of inflation.

Which means you'd probably be better off hanging on, chucking some more money in the bank and moving up a couple of notches. Not saying those mentioned are bad (haven't heard them all) but they smack of a sideways move.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Hate to say this mate, but the speakers you want to replace are possibly better than the ones you want to replace them with, in the Rx6s. Check out this review from a journo who went on to much greater things: MA S6 review. Also more expensive too, given the 9 years of inflation.

Which means you'd probably be better off hanging on, chucking some more money in the bank and moving up a couple of notches. Not saying those mentioned are bad (haven't heard them all) but they smack of a sideways move.

That review is what made me decide on the MA S6 in the first place. I would still like to listen to the RX6 and the Rega just to satisfy my curiousity and if what you say is correct, then I should be looking at speakers in a higher price bracket to really call it an upgrade and not a sideways move as you suggest. Thanks for your input.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
altruistic.lemon said:

That review is what made me decide on the MA S6 in the first place. I would still like to listen to the RX6 and the Rega just to satisfy my curiousity and if what you say is correct, then I should be looking at speakers in a higher price bracket to really call it an upgrade and not a sideways move as you suggest. Thanks for your input.

You are right to try. There is more than one type of upgrade. A sideways, or even a backwards move in monetary terms, can give an upgrade in pleasure terms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts