Speaker upgrade for Creek Evo 2

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice to put me on right direction to shortlist some speakers for an upgrade.

Currently using Quad 12L2's with Creek Evolution 2 and Cambridge Audio Azur 650C. Bluesound node 2i on order and should be here next week.

I was looking at Kef Q350 then seen Kef LS50 at a price not much more. My question is, would the Creek be good enough to power the LS50's. Read a lot that they won't sound there best if Amps not upto it.

Cheers in advance

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice to put me on right direction to shortlist some speakers for an upgrade.

Currently using Quad 12L2's with Creek Evolution 2 and Cambridge Audio Azur 650C. Bluesound node 2i on order and should be here next week.

I was looking at Kef Q350 then seen Kef LS50 at a price not much more. My question is, would the Creek be good enough to power the LS50's. Read a lot that they won't sound there best if Amps not upto it.

Cheers in advance
Had the Evo 2 on home demo years ago, and is one of my favourite amps in that price bracket. Yes, plenty of quality for the LS50s. I demoed mine with Monitor Audio RS6s and sounded great. Perhaps consider one of the newer MA models, such as the Silver 50 or 100.

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Was looking at the MA silver 100 aswell. For Rock/Indie classic Rock, would MA potentially be a better fit?
Room size is 15x15 ft
Looking budget wise prob to £800 tops, tho 2nd hand an option too

Was looking at the MA silver 100 aswell. For Rock/Indie classic Rock, would MA potentially be a better fit?
Room size is 15x15 ft
Looking budget wise prob to £800 tops, tho 2nd hand an option too
Certainly the MAs should be better at rock or the "dirtier genres", and they'll fill your room better. The Kefs are great but might be too refined. That's just my gut feeling, as I never had the opportunity to compare the LS50s with RS6s.

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Certainly the MAs should be better at rock or the "dirtier genres", and they'll fill your room better. The Kefs are great but might be too refined. That's just my gut feeling, as I never had the opportunity to compare the LS50s with RS6s.

Seems from most reviews I have read that the KEFS are very refined. Never heard KEFS before so my interest was purely on reviews. Was in back of my mind if it would niggle at me long term

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Ye I have a old pair off quadrasphere evo speaker stands.
Never tried floorstanders before so probably just why I've stuck to standmounts

Not necessarily, I would look at the right floor stander, but the Dalis dimensions sound like they be better just from a space point of view. Private rent so never know if you ever move house.

For a fabulous compact floorstander, @Al ears and I have recommended and that's Totem Arros. The Creek Evo will have enough oomph and quality for these tricky little suckers. They're not an easy load but the Evo2 has 85 watts per channel, shouldn't be problem. And s/hand they can be picked for between £800-£1000. Good price for a cracking tiny floorstander.

Reactions: Al ears
For a fabulous compact floorstander, @Al ears and I have recommended and that's Totem Arros. The Creek Evo will have enough oomph and quality for these tricky little suckers. They're not an easy load but the Evo2 has 85 watts per channel, shouldn't be problem. And s/hand they can be picked for between £800-£1000. Good price for a cracking tiny floorstander.
I would agree that something like the Evo2 would be just the right sort of amplifier to get the best of off the Arros. Brilliant at imaging and sufficient bass.
If you want standmount there are these:-

Last edited:

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
I would agree that something like the Evo2 would be just the right sort of amplifier to get the best of off the Arros. Brilliant at imaging and sufficient bass.

They look like nice quality speakers, the Arros too. Think used market could open up a lot more options, especially speakers that be out of my budget brand new

They look like nice quality speakers, the Arros too. Think used market could open up a lot more options, especially speakers that be out of my budget brand new
you're right. The Arros are £1500 new but those and others can be found around half price second hand if you look hard enough and are patient. Took me three years to find my speakers......

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
It is worth maybe holding off a wee bit. The more I look into the initial speakers I thought I was adamant at looking at to buy the more pop up to change your mind. Was same with process for streamer. Guess that's the beauty of hifi, keeps you 2nd guessing yourself at times

Totally agree, fabulous imaging. Of course they won't knock down walls with heavy bass, but they are tiny drivers.

I would also throw into the mix Harbeth P3s I had on home demo last summer. Well over budget, s/hand £1200-1500, but compared to £2500 new, they are a snip.

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
I get the feeling with some of the suggestions, price wise anyway that I may well of been selling my creek short just looking at sub £500 - £600 speakers like KEF Q350. Not thats there is anything wrong with KEF's from what I have read

It is worth maybe holding off a wee bit. The more I look into the initial speakers I thought I was adamant at looking at to buy the more pop up to change your mind. Was same with process for streamer. Guess that's the beauty of hifi, keeps you 2nd guessing yourself at times
unfortunately there is always something better around the corner but you get to a point where you know what you want and are then happy to live with it....... Allegedly :)

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
I agree, I've only every upgraded 3 to 4 times with various components in 20 odd years. I think for myself anyway it's not getting caught up into upgrading everything just because you do one thing.

Definitely got more options to think about now. Those Dali's definitely sound intriguing along with some of the higher end used recommendations

I agree, I've only every upgraded 3 to 4 times with various components in 20 odd years. I think for myself anyway it's not getting caught up into upgrading everything just because you do one thing.

Definitely got more options to think about now. Those Dali's definitely sound intriguing along with some of the higher end used recommendations

All the suggestions are darn good, but don't dismiss the Kefs. The most recent Kef experience was hearing the R300s. The owner had them driven by a £300-ish Yamaha A-S 500, and they sounded cracking on that alone. When I plugged them into my Leema it took them to another couple of levels.

Clearly there's too many to home demo with the pandemic in mind, so you'll have to decide what sort of presentation will keep you listening. If you're looking for ultimate refinement the LS50s are in pole position, but if you're looking for a more organic presentation then Totem, Monitor Audio or Harbeth are a better bet.

Also if you like to listen at idling levels, generally speaking the best speakers are the ones with easier loads, impedance of 8 ohms and 86 dbs upwards tend to be better. This rules out the Totems, Harbeths and LS50s as they need a decent levels to hear them at their best. Monitor Audio and Dalis would fit that bill better.

Like you I don't change my gear on a regular basis but that proves that finding something you can live with pays dividends.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts