Speaker upgrade - advice gratefully received

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm looking to upgrade my existing Tannoy cr2's as I reckon they're the weak link in my set up as they tend to sound a bit dull most of the time.

Ideally no more than £250 spend on some bookshelf speakers to match the following:

NAD 302 being used as a pre-amp for a QUAD 303 which has been "upgraded"

NAD C525 CD player

Cambridge Audio DAB (not crucial)

Rega deck (which in fairness needs a good overhaul!)

Mainly listen to CD's with a variety of musical styles so needs to be a decent all rounder.

Any advice, suggestions with reasons why please!

Cheers,

Nick

John Duncan

Hey

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s still float my boat. Another recommendation you'll get here is the Monitor Audio BR2 but I'm not so keen, I found them a bit strident - both worth a listen with your system though.

cheers

JD

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that JD. Had some 7.1's in the past which I liked but wanted to move up a level. I guess the 9.1's are a greater improvement. progress and all that...

Anyone had much experience of KEF Q1's. A friend had them but I felt they didn't really have any "beef" to them. Mind you, that was out of the box so maybe they warm up better?

John Duncan

Also, go to Superfi and look at Epos models around the 250 quid mark (don't know the specific ones at that price, but a great brand to consider), and the Quad 11L2, which appears to be on special, and a bargain - Diamond 9.1s with knobs on.

A

Anonymous

Great tips there JD. I've looked at Superfi as that's where I got my CD player from.

Utterly shallow I know, but I have to say that the 9.1's are hugely attractive given their incredible star ratings from pretty much everyone and the anniversary model looks so, so nice... May I'll be popping into Brum this w/e!

I've heard from a colleague the Quad are very good. He's offered me his second hand ones but not for much less than new and I'm not keen on the bird-eye maple finish of his... I guess given your comments on the 9.1 its whether I really think I need to shell out the extra £70 for the Quads. Listening time in-store needed methinks...

Cheers for the help fella,

Nick

A

Anonymous

For the record my Quad 303 has been looked at by this chap. I'm really not very technical at all but I know that it now sounds hugely better than it did before and have to say I'm very pleased with it.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZgazemberQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0

Cheers,

Nick

John Duncan

[quote user="snorky"]
Great tips there JD. I've looked at Superfi as that's where I got my CD player from.

Utterly shallow I know, but I have to say that the 9.1's are hugely attractive given their incredible star ratings from pretty much everyone and the anniversary model looks so, so nice... May I'll be popping into Brum this w/e!

I've heard from a colleague the Quad are very good. He's offered me his second hand ones but not for much less than new and I'm not keen on the bird-eye maple finish of his... I guess given your comments on the 9.1 its whether I really think I need to shell out the extra £70 for the Quads. Listening time in-store needed methinks...

Cheers for the help fella,

Nick

[/quote]

Put it this way - Quad and Wharfedale are both now owned by IAG, both are made in their Chinese factory, and those drivers look veeeeeeeeeeery similar. When you consider the difference in price betwen the two when first released, much of that could be explained by the bigger box, transport costs, veneer instead of the vinyl wrap - draw your own conclusions........

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Hey

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s still float my boat. Another recommendation you'll get here is the Monitor Audio BR2 but I'm not so keen, I found them a bit strident - both worth a listen with your system though.

cheers

JD
[/quote]

I didn't know there was a fellow Diamond 9.1 lover on this forum!

Heartily recommended.

John Duncan

[quote user="batonwielder"]I didn't know there was a fellow Diamond 9.1 lover on this forum![/quote]

Yup, came from my main setup to the kitchen (iMac/Denon), and I don't think you can beat them at the prices they're going for now.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
It is the Epos M5 that is available from Superfi for £250 although only the Dark Cherry ones are available now i think. These are excellent speakers for that kind of money - and yes i bought the Light Cherry ones from Superfi when they first dropped the price. Great value - i have tried a few other speakers under £350 but not found anything better.

A

Anonymous

Second that. These diamonds surely looks like an all time favourite among many!

A

Anonymous

My only reservation with the 9.1's is that when a friend was buying a system a year or so ago we listened to it (NAD525BEE CD, NAD 325(I think?) amp) hooked up to the 9.1's then the KEF Q1's and the Wharfedale's just sounded flat. Mind you, the Q1's really didn't shine once set up at home...

Might this be a case of non "run-in" speakers?

Seems that the 9.1's have a huge following and Hifix have them for £129!!!!!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="snorky"]
My only reservation with the 9.1's is that when a friend was buying a system a year or so ago we listened to it (NAD525BEE CD, NAD 325(I think?) amp) hooked up to the 9.1's then the KEF Q1's and the Wharfedale's just sounded flat. Mind you, the Q1's really didn't shine once set up at home...

Might this be a case of non "run-in" speakers?

Seems that the 9.1's have a huge following and Hifix have them for £129!!!!!
ÿ
[/quote]

It could've sounded flat due to its restrained top when not run in. I really didn't know that these had a huge following. All this time I though I was alone...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts