Speaker up grade need help

lbutron

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I have a PSB Imagine XB bookshelves, very happy whit them, but i think i´m missing something. I want to upgrade them to one of this options, as this are the one i could get from my local shop:

1) Kef Q350 (maybe this one be to much of an upgrade and in the short run I think its just a small step)
2) B&W 606 S2
2) Monitor Audio Silver 100
3) Kef LS50 Meta (this si the most expensive but, is it worth it? )
I will be using them in a small room 13x14 ft
The rest of the system is:
Streaming Hi Res from Tidal/Roon via Cambridge Audio CXNV2 whit Yamaha Amp RX-A780 (95watts)
Mainly for music like classic rock and jazz

Last edited:

rainsoothe

I have a PSB Imagine XB bookshelves, very happy whit them, but i think i´m missing something. I want to upgrade them to one of this options, as this are the one i could get from my local shop:

1) Kef Q350 (maybe this one be to much of an upgrade and in the short run I think its just a small step)
2) B&W 606 S2
2) Monitor Audio Silver 100
3) Kef LS50 Meta (this si the most expensive but, is it worth it? )
I will be using them in a small room 13x14 ft
The rest of the system is:
Streaming Hi Res from Tidal/Roon via Cambridge Audio CXNV2 whit Yamaha Amp RX-A780 (95watts)
Mainly for music like classic rock and jazz
Hi - if you have a dealership nearby, I suggest trying a decent stereo amp, as I suspect the Yamaha reciever is the main culprit, as you have a great source in the CXN. Are you using the Yamaha just for stereo?

Welcome to the forum.
As you will notice often when you ask a question on this forum you may get obtuse answers.
Rainsoothe may have a point though, not that I agree with it.
Can I ask how you have your current speakers situated, are they on decent stands?
It does appear though that you are trying to change a home cinema set-up into a stereo one and that often means starting from scratch.

lbutron

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your replays, I have the speakers in a steal KEF stands that are very solid. The are placed away from the corners around 1.5-2ft, also I implement some room treatment, put base trap in the corners and a foam absorver in the side walls, also a floor carpet above the tile floor.

The Yamaha is use for Movies also (no complains in this area), whit the surround mode (5.1.2) the rest of the speakers are Klipsch mini Reference and PSB Subseries250 10" . For Music that is my main concern I turn the Yamaha to stereo for a 2.1 system. I will like to *add* a dedicated stereo Amp to my setup in the near future, and leve the yamaha just for moives. but for know I think the most upgrade will be the speakers. What do you think?

rainsoothe

Thanks for your replays, I have the speakers in a steal KEF stands that are very solid. The are placed away from the corners around 1.5-2ft, also I implement some room treatment, put base trap in the corners and a foam absorver in the side walls, also a floor carpet above the tile floor.

The Yamaha is use for Movies also (no complains in this area), whit the surround mode (5.1.2) the rest of the speakers are Klipsch mini Reference and PSB Subseries250 10" . For Music that is my main concern I turn the Yamaha to stereo for a 2.1 system. I will like to *add* a dedicated stereo Amp to my setup in the near future, and leve the yamaha just for moives. but for know I think the most upgrade will be the speakers. What do you think?
I still think amplification is more lacking than the speakers here, and those on the list would be either small improvements or a sideways move. Although @Al ears was right to suggest the free positioning tweaks first.

I was going to suggest auditioning a Rega Brio, but it has no AV bypass, so can't be integrated with a reciever. But I think Musical Fidelity M2si, Quad Vena 2 or Cyrus One are defo worth an audition, and will be way more appropriate for music listening in a stereo setup.

rainsoothe

Thanks @rainsoothe does amps are hard to get here, I could get a Cambridge CX81 or a Rokstan K3 or any NAD or Yamaha
Well, if you can afford it, defo try yo audition the Roksan, you'll be surprised, I'm sure. A sh Naim Nait 5si could also be a great option, if the Roksan is too expensive, and it's easy to move on if you don't like it. But do try to audition (both with it integrated in the surround setup but, more importantly, in stereo mode fed directly by the CXN). Let your ears decide.

lbutron

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
Well, if you can afford it, defo try yo audition the Roksan, you'll be surprised, I'm sure. A sh Naim Nait 5si could also be a great option, if the Roksan is too expensive, and it's easy to move on if you don't like it. But do try to audition (both with it integrated in the surround setup but, more importantly, in stereo mode fed directly by the CXN). Let your ears decide.

The Roksan K3 (2,100 usd) is way above the Cambridge CX81 (1,300 usd) at local prices ?, it´s a lot of money difference. Don´t you think will be a overkill for the PSB Imagine XB?

D

Deleted member 116933

With out sounding rude I think you have answered your own question. If it’s fine for movies and not music, and nothing else’s changes when you change over the settings and you have the speakers set nicely, then it will be the amp letting you down it’s the only thing left as long as all the trim levels are set correctly and so on. There’s a lot of margin for error with av amps.

Sounds silly but the trim levels on the amp haven’t been adjusted for the music input have they? I know some have input trims.

If it where me though don’t worry about a dedicated stereo as you seem to place both music and movies equally. I’d go for a more “musical” av amp like arcam, Amtham and higher end Yamaha’s.

But go and have a play at the dealers and run it by them they’ll help you find the product that’s right for you. Perhaps take your amp and speakers with you try your amp with the ones you listed then try your speakers with a different amp.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

The Roksan K3 (2,100 usd) is way above the Cambridge CX81 (1,300 usd) at local prices ?, it´s a lot of money difference. Don´t you think will be a overkill for the PSB Imagine XB?
It might be, that's why I strongly suggest auditioning. One benefit, though, is that you can use it with better speakers in the future. The CA can also be great, but it will depend on your preferences. @millennia_one 's advice of talking to a dealer is also great, they might be able to help you, as long as they're not strongly biased towards one brand they're supposed to be "pimping". Recievers that are better suited for music are also an option, it's up to your ears - that's why auditioning is so important. Ask your dealer about Arcam or Anthem recievers, or amplfiers that have an AV bypass function. Also tell your dealer what the rest of your system is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts