Speaker switch: 1 amp / 2 pair of speakers

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Good morning/afternoon/evening!
I'm trying to found out if I can use a speaker switch with my Cambridge Audio Minx Xi. Right now I've got a pair of q acoustics concept 20 speakers in the living room. I would like to use the minx xi with another pair of speakers that I will place in my kitchen. I'm thinking of q acoustics 3020, maybe MA Bronze 2. There will only be one pair of speakers playing, never both pair of speakers at the same time.
Sorry if this has been asked many times before. I have been searching information on this subject, but I just dont understand it... *scratch_one-s_head* Can anyone tell me if this is possible and without any risk? Thanks so much! :D

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Thank you. Im not sure where I can get this switch. I do not live in the UK (Holland)
This switch looks quite advanced, you can connect 2 amps.

Wouldnt something like this thing be good enough?:
http://elektronica-shop.nl/contents/media/l_2-way-speakerbox-switch.jpg
http://elektronica-shop.nl/contents/media/2-weg-luidspreker-schakelaar.jpg

Thanks

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
DocG said:
skysounds said:

Yes, the device you link to does exactly that.

Or you could go for this one in case you want a volume control for the kitchen speakers too. Up to you to decide if it's worth the mark-up.

Oh that can be handy. But I think the switch will be sitting in my tv cabinet. And I will be streaming music, I can control the volume on my laptop/remote app.

So, is there no risk in overloading the amp? Or problems with ohms or.. uhm I don't know*scratch_one-s_head*

Thanks!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
skysounds said:
So, is there no risk in overloading the amp? Or problems with ohms or.. uhm I don't know*scratch_one-s_head*

Yes, it's easy to overload an amp. You don't need a splitter or a second pair of speakers for that. The Xi seems to have a tiny power supply, so that'll be even easier! If the sound gets harsh or it seems very loud, that's where your amp clips: not healthy for amp nor speakers. Time to turn it down a notch!

Having said that, if you stick to one pair of speakers at a time, the risk won't change, compared to your current situation. Both the Concept20 and the 3020 look rather easy to drive. And the splitter inbetween won't affect that!

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
DocG said:
skysounds said:

Yes, it's easy to overload an amp. You don't need a splitter or a second pair of speakers for that. The Xi seems to have a tiny power supply, so that'll be even easier! If the sound gets harsh or it seems very loud, that's where your amp clips: not healthy for amp nor speakers. Time to turn it down a notch!

Having said that, if you stick to one pair of speakers at a time, the risk won't change, compared to your current situation. Both the Concept20 and the 3020 look rather easy to drive. And the splitter inbetween won't affect that!

Oh ok. Well, I will only play one pair. No worries then :)
And I never play them really loud. Live in an appartment.
Thanks for helping me DocG and CnoEvil!

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
skysounds said:
TrevC said:
I would use a separate amplifier. Far better.

And why exactly?

Separate control of volume, no worries about overloading the amp or compromising the performance of the main speakers.

Uhm, okay Im lost.. I thought there's not any more risk with overloading, as long as I dont play both pairs of speakers at the same time?
Why would the main speakers sound different?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ah, common Trev. The man just found a proper way to solve his problem, for a mere 15 EUR. And now you want him to get a second amp? Which he then has to connect to his Cambridge (not sure if that one has pre-outs -- too lazy to look that up. Sorry*). Don't overcomplicate things unnecessarily.

EDIT: * Now I have, and no, it hasn't.

TrevC

DocG said:
Ah, common Trev. The man just found a proper way to solve his problem, for a mere 15 EUR. And now you want him to get a second amp? Which he then has to connect to his Cambridge (not sure if that one has pre-outs -- too lazy to look that up. Sorry*). Don't overcomplicate things unnecessarily.

You use the rec outs to line in and buy a very cheap amp. He can then play both speaker sets at the same time. Less complicated really, and surely a better idea than speaker switching.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
DocG said:

You use the rec outs to line in and buy a very cheap amp. He can then play both speaker sets at the same time. Less complicated really, and surely a better idea than speaker switching.

Oops, I only spotted speaker outs, a headphone out and a sub out. Must have overlooked the rec outs. My bad...

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Are there only men on this forum/website? *biggrin*

It's still not clear to me why my main speakers will sound not as good as they do without switch.

skysounds

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
It would be my way of doing it, but you can disagree.

The problem is, I don't know if I agree/disagree. I dont know why it would be better to use a separate amp. Volume controls is not important, overloading is NA, so the only thing left is that the switch makes the speakers sound less good.. how exactly?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
skysounds said:
TrevC said:
It would be my way of doing it, but you can disagree.

The problem is, I don't know if I agree/disagree. I dont know why it would be better to use a separate amp. Volume controls is not important, overloading is NA, so the only thing left is that the switch makes the speakers sound less good.. how exactly?

Let me answer this one for you.

Why don't you go crazy and just buy the switch? Try your set-up with and without the switch installed. Then come back to tell us how it went (and that you're so happy you solved your problem for under 15 EUR)!*drinks*

TRENDING THREADS